Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson 225, slow out of the hole

Hello!
    Having trouble with my 225 being weak and bogging out of the hole. Yesterday I went to the boat and ripped off the carbs and brought them back home.

Powerhead is an -86, carbs numbered 398743, seems to be -88?
    intermediate orfices (midrange?) mounted in carbs at present "14"
    Idle air bleeds mounted in carbs at present "48"

My problem is that my motor falls on its face "buuuhhh, blub, blub" when I bury the throttle(deep water ski start)from idle.

It seems to me that perhaps the intermediates should be like "47or 48" like in the -89 carbs, 14 seems so small that maybe this is causing the "faceplant" before the high speed(62D) kicks in?
    At the same time, I can't just change place between the two orfices, because the idle airbleed calls for "48" as well!?

Question; The intermediates I have today (14) seems so small that I'm wondering if this could cause the "faceplant" on takeoff?

Omc gurus, please help!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which main jets do you have? when wide open throttle thats all thats working.Take your air box off and punch it only for a quick take off but only for a little bit if that helps your mains may be a little rich.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil blomquist View Post
    Which main jets do you have? when wide open throttle thats all thats working.Take your air box off and punch it only for a quick take off but only for a little bit if that helps your mains may be a little rich.
    Main jets:62D

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd start with the basics first. Does it have good compression on all 6 cylinders? Then I would do a sync and linc if it does, and make sure the timing is set properly. Then go from there.

Stock main for an 86 225 is a 65D. The mid is 14. On an 87 the main is a 62D. Having the correct model number for your motor would ensure that all matches.

Racer always told the the carbs meter differently, so I would see if he'll weigh in on what kind of main jet it should be running. It appears the correct jets for the carbs are in there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
    I'd start with the basics first. Does it have good compression on all 6 cylinders? Then I would do a sync and linc if it does, and make sure the timing is set properly. Then go from there.

Stock main for an 86 225 is a 65D. The mid is 14. On an 87 the main is a 62D. Having the correct model number for your motor would ensure that all matches.

Racer always told the the carbs meter differently, so I would see if he'll weigh in on what kind of main jet it should be running. It appears the correct jets for the carbs are in there.
    Modelnumber; J225PTLCDA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain75 View Post
    Modelnumber; J225PTLCDA
    I reset the floats this evening, three bowls had a slightly high float level, now they are all level with bowl surface when held upside down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have good compression, spark, make sure the timer base is not stuck under the flywheel keeping it from advancing. Then check your sink and link, fuel pressure and vacuum. Since you have the carbs apart, install new proper high speed jets.

I have see it many times where an engine would be fine and bogg bad out of the hole. Take the air box off and it would scream like a scalded dog lol. The fix is new high speed jets as the fuel does ware them out like moving water to rock.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Runner View Post
    Make sure you have good compression, spark, make sure the timer base is not stuck under the flywheel keeping it from advancing. Then check your sink and link, fuel pressure and vacuum. Since you have the carbs apart, install new proper high speed jets.

I have see it many times where an engine would be fine and bogg bad out of the hole. Take the air box off and it would scream like a scalded dog lol. The fix is new high speed jets as the fuel does ware them out like moving water to rock.
    Hello Rude!
    I've checked compression, spark, timerbase is moving- timed to 18btdc at full throttle(under load), linc & sync done acc to OMC manual. Running VRO backed by an electric. Float levels reset yesterday(3 slightly to high). I tried with my airbox off last week, but the bogging went impossible to handle- had to push primer to get on plane.
    "proper jets"... I'm guessing my 62D is stock if compared to my carbbodies(398743). These carbs seems to be year -87? Perhaps update from bigbore to those were made in -87.
    I use boats.net for "detective work", better sites?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd see if you can get Racer to help you with jetting. Just buying jets and tinkering will get expensive in a hurry, I think the jets run about 10 bucks a pop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockjaw View Post
    I'd see if you can get Racer to help you with jetting. Just buying jets and tinkering will get expensive in a hurry, I think the jets run about 10 bucks a pop.
    Just hope he observes this thread then...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it helped pushing the primmer in then i would say your not getting enough fuel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil blomquist View Post
    If it helped pushing the primmer in then i would say your not getting enough fuel.
    It helped when airbox was off, not with airbox on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain75 View Post
    Just hope he observes this thread then...
    I would start a new one, and tag it as OMC, there is a selection. Then post the year and model number of your motor and the part number on your carbs. Say what jets you have in there, and what its doing.

Call it 225 Looper jetting help or something like that. He is going to have to know what I told you, based upon my dealings with him in order to help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen this on some Johnson motors and it was the clear plastic roller on the throttle linkage that came apart and knocked out the timing. It may be a jetting issue but wanted to throw that out there.