Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E300XPCUR 1987 ignition problem help needed!!!

Ok folks I got a good one here and need help figuring out what it could be!

I have a 1988 26' Sleek Craft Enforcer with a 1987 Evinrude E300 powering it.

Problem Statement:
    Intermittent spark on port side of engine only. Engine will run but is very weak. Used a timing light to see that spark is intermittent on all 4 spark plug wires on port side of engine.

Troubleshooting completed:
    • verified new plugs are good (swap with known good working plug from other side of motor)
    • plug wires are new and verified working (swap with known good working wire from other side of motor)
    • coil pack verified working
    • power pack was replaced with new power pack on port side but this only controls the upper two coil packs on the port side and upper two on starboard side.

Recent events prior to this issue:
    • last month I was having a similar issue with the ignition in which all 4 upper plugs would not fire leading me to believe I had a power pack issue. So I got the cash together and purchased one. Well that wasn't it, further troubleshooting lead to the stator! So once again I put some more money together along with an arm, leg, and second unborn child and bought the stator. THIS FIXED THAT PROBLEM. The motor never ran that awesome!

• Last weekend while I was on the lake I was having issues planing out on the water and disregarded it because I had a full boat, 10people and full gear, so I figured it was just too heavy. Not the case, on the way back to the main dock the issue got worse and I lost almost 50% power after a 12 mile run back to the dock.

Anyone have any idea here? I mean I just replaced the stator but all my troubleshooting is pointing back to that?? Maybe the timing base?

Anyone seen this failure before?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey sleek its Shaun from FB...Im glad you posted this up. There is a ton of knowledge here and it is likely that your problem will be abale to be diagnosed by a few people here. Welcome to Scream And Fly! This is the greatest performance outboard site period dot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Shaun. . I am hoping to figure this out ASAP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More info on current situation.. I have put a timing light on all the wires coming from the power packs to the coil packs and I have signal but then intermittent after the coil packs on the port side. Again all coil packs, wires, and plugs work just fine on other side of motor!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worked on Evinrudes for 20 years, I am highly certified from BRP. That being said its been a long time since I had my hands on a V-8 and don't have a manual here. Not for nothing but I never recall any powerpacks being set up that way, I could be wrong but you need to confirm that with a dealer. Normally in a two pack engine setup its one pack that powers the port bank and one for the starboard. Not top and bottom.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rude runner,

Thanks so much for the info, but the way this model is wired and the way the books schematics say its wired is the way I described. Maybe the V6 60deg is wired differently. But this a 90deg V8 2 stroke and the port side power pack supplies power to cyl 1,2,3,4 and the starboard supplies power to the 5,6,7,8 cyl.

I have don't some extensive troubleshooting and I have found out that both power packs have tested good as well as the the stator is good.

When I tested the timer base, it has failed the voltage check of 0.2VDC per output term. Although it did pass the ohm test (which only test that the harness/coils aren't grounded), so I have ordered a new timer base. I'm hoping this will fix the issue here.

So glad it isn't the stator, power packs, or coils!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sleek69, I could see you being correct on one powerpack firing the upper 4 and the other firing the lower 4, as that is how the exhaust is separated on a v-8. Just checked my '87 factory manual and it only shows the single pack diagram. Was hoping to give you a confirmation.

Now, my question is... why is this now in the low emissions section?????? Wasn't it in the technical discussion section where it belongs?
    Moderators...whomever moved it, please move it BACK. This is far from a low emissions engine.

Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you lokinutz, ya that's what manual shows also but clearly there is 2 power pks.

Because I'm new here I may have put this in the wrong forum. My apologies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the earlier engines had two powerpacks. I don't have a manual for those years though. I thought it was 85-87, but may just be 85-86. I'm not big on the V-8s.

I'm pretty sure you put it in the right place originally. Oh well. As long as you get back out on the water, that's all that matters

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya this is the first outboard I have ever owned and it just has to be one of the rarest and biggest. I'm getting used to it though! For 2 seasons that I have owned it, it has run great and this season it is killin me. Haha. I will get it back on the water soon, I hope. .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleek69 View Post
    Thank you lokinutz, ya that's what manual shows also but clearly there is 2 power pks.

Because I'm new here I may have put this in the wrong forum. My apologies.
    no one disputes the two pack set up, what I was questioning is the wires from each pack to the coils. Yes now that my brain has decided to work, dont get hit by lightning people. It sucks!!

Evinrude did not make a special pack for the V-8 then to be cheap so they used TWO V-4 packs on that engine so yes they would need to be wired as you said.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lokinutz View Post
    Sleek69,

Now, my question is... why is this now in the low emissions section?????? Wasn't it in the technical discussion section where it belongs?
    Moderators...whomever moved it, please move it BACK. This is far from a low emissions engine.

Thank you
    Yes that does make you laugh as this engine sucked more fuel than any, ever! Well the 4.0 may be worse but dam did they move some fuel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. That's funny. Ya this 2stoke doesn't seem to be that bad tho, maybe the tanks are really big. Lol.

So the manual that I am using is a seloc Johnson Evinrude. Pretty detailed book!!