Hi I have a 1997 merc 245 that decided to go boom today. Middle cylinder on passenger side of boat busted a hole in the crankcase? I can see rod cap bolt through hole which was about 1" in diameter. Motor gave no prior warning until a couple seconds before it blew, had boat ( bullet 20 xd) on top running about 5500 rpm and fed the fuel to her and it bogged a little and started winding out like it should , water pressure and fuel pressure good. I let out and hi it again and it bogged again so I started getting off the throttle and before I was off the pad boom. Rattle rattle rattle I just reached up and shut her off. Popped cover off and bits and pieces everywhere. Rod doesn't appear broke looking through hole but it had to have something go wrong to bust the block. Motor never overheated and has supposedly 40-50 hours since rebuild. What am I looking at to replace/ rebuild the 245? How about going to EFI like the 260/280? Or repower with promax? I mainly fish out the boat but enjoy being there first also. What's the blown motor worth? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks. Boat info is 1995 bullet 20 xd merc 245 14" jack plate 1.25 above pad 28" chopper 2 worked alot. Motor would turn 7700-7800 wot and was primarily run In The 6000 range except tournaments( very little)