Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merc 245 advice.

Hi I have a 1997 merc 245 that decided to go boom today. Middle cylinder on passenger side of boat busted a hole in the crankcase? I can see rod cap bolt through hole which was about 1" in diameter. Motor gave no prior warning until a couple seconds before it blew, had boat ( bullet 20 xd) on top running about 5500 rpm and fed the fuel to her and it bogged a little and started winding out like it should , water pressure and fuel pressure good. I let out and hi it again and it bogged again so I started getting off the throttle and before I was off the pad boom. Rattle rattle rattle I just reached up and shut her off. Popped cover off and bits and pieces everywhere. Rod doesn't appear broke looking through hole but it had to have something go wrong to bust the block. Motor never overheated and has supposedly 40-50 hours since rebuild. What am I looking at to replace/ rebuild the 245? How about going to EFI like the 260/280? Or repower with promax? I mainly fish out the boat but enjoy being there first also. What's the blown motor worth? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks. Boat info is 1995 bullet 20 xd merc 245 14" jack plate 1.25 above pad 28" chopper 2 worked alot. Motor would turn 7700-7800 wot and was primarily run In The 6000 range except tournaments( very little)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pick up a 225 promax drop on! Crank her up and fish.Your powerhead will have some salvage but not much.Most likely,electricial,flywheel,one head,carbs,maybe a front cover.If the hole is in the right place,maybe it could be welded,and sleeved but not very cost effective.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I can use my mid and lower and just drop on a new power head? The hole is on the crankcase section, it goes almost up to the mating surface where the two sections meet maybe 1/4" away from it. Ill post pictures this evening. Is this a common failure point? Looks like someone had same problem before me as I see some traces of some sort of repair.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the rod still connected to the crankshaft? If it is not then it broke or a rod bolt let go. Like outasite said it would be pretty expensive to fix it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also what price range do fresh promax's run, any power increase possible on these engines? I was running 93-94 with the 245 I'd love to stay near that for sure. Sorry for all the questions but I've only had the boat a month and I'm new to high performance outboards. I'm definately hooked though. Thank yall

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it's still connected it looks like the cap made contact with the block. The rod bolt I can see is still tight, maybe the other side failed? I guess without dissecting it we won't know for sure. Are new blocks Avaliable ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pics of destruction

Here are some pictures I took earlier. Both middle cylinders damaged. Anyone know what the bore should be on this motor? I used inside hole micrometer and came up with 3.510 on 5 cylinders and 3.513 on damaged cylinder. Also it appears to be freshly honed because I can see the cross webb looking very fine scratches, I don't know what im looking at here but I was told this is nikasil coated bores but I cannot see any coating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like the head gasket burned and that's what caused it to go. (Last Picture)
    Never know when a head gasket will fail & when it does, it's quick, which is what you described in your 1st post.
    Like everyone else has said..... the crank is probably damaged & not much value left.
    225PM motor is probably the BEST engine I've ever had!!!!
    Thanks,
    Tim Bostic

Hoss Marine Propellers
    www.hossprops.com
    918-479-5167 (shop)

Pugh Hydro w/260 Merc - 12" mid
    1987 XB2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 15" mid
    1985 XR2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 12" mid (Restoration Project)
    "New" - 1987 XTB21 Allison (Refurbished at the Factory!!!!) w/'99-225 ProMax Merc

Top Speed Blog - http://www.screamandfly.com/blog.php...OSS-quot-Style

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That block has had a LOT of repair done in the past.Part it out.Like I said I think you mite net $700-1000 in salvage if all goes well.A good promax drop on will run $3500-4500.Truth is,you don't have much left to work with on your old motor.A good promax would be about equal to your 245 or very close to it,but its a much more refined engine and not nearly as high strung.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a really nice 260 powerhead for sale in the for sale section by Z520(Pete Elliot). Pretty much everything in it is new. It's been worked slightly. Prolly put you in the upper 90's
    Erik Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the promax is favored for sure. I guess ill finish dissecting it Monday and verify all the damage, would I be better off selling my motor complete as is or keeping what I have and install drop on promax? How about fitment of motor cover? And if I can swing the budget how about the 300 promax? Pros/cons of that route? And last but not least if I were looking to piece the 245 back together where do I start looking for a block and other parts? I really appreciate all the input fellas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree that motor has been into before, not a bad thing but if not done right it will shorten its life drastically. I would not fix that 245, piece it out!
    For your main intent use I will also say a 225PM, great motors, user friendly especially if you are new to these motors and you will be running close to your original speed especially if the 245 was tired.