Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How fast will it go

Hello everyone, New to the site and to the forum. Just purchased a completely redone 1985 Talon that is 21'6" long and is powered with a Merc Racing 2.5, 280. Previous owner claims he never did hit the top speed on the boat, which from speaking at length with him, I believe. I have owned boats all my life including larger off shore boats but this is my first screamer. Being a newbie to this area of the sport, I was hoping that you more experienced guys and gals could shed some light on the ball park of speed this boat will attain. Hull, after complete rebuild, is supposed to weigh in a hair under 1,300 pounds. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Tcat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of variables will affect top end, prop,set back / jack plate etc...
    Variety of stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tcat, luckly for you your in the right area. A good friend of mine in fox lake has a 21 talon also. We meet up to run at Blarney Island on thursday nights and on weekend runs coming up soon. Give me a call we can get together and see what your working with setup wise. Larry 847-732-8008
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    84-93mph would be my guess if it's that heavy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a friend of mine had one a few years back with a 260 and he was right a 90,alot of setback and alot of cup in a four blade,will deff. help with a sproty or cle to lift the boat rather then something with a bobs cone

02 mirage ski racer w/ 2.5
    lake tarpon (LTB racing)

"Mirage Boats... often imitated but never duplicated"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great to know, I just moved from Deer Park up onto the Chain. I will be picking up the boat the third weekend in June so will have it on the lakes before 4th of July. Would be great to get involved with a knowledgeable group of people that know about these boats, and more importantly, about these outboards. I have probably seen you out there as I am there every weekend in a black formula 280 SS by the name of "Same Circus, Different Clowns". I look forward to meeting you in person. Thanks, Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jr. View Post
    Tcat, luckly for you your in the right area. A good friend of mine in fox lake has a 21 talon also. We meet up to run at Blarney Island on thursday nights and on weekend runs coming up soon. Give me a call we can get together and see what your working with setup wise. Larry 847-732-8008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look forward to meeting you too Al....if you can get to the island on a thursday night youll meet all of us...when you get your boat feel free to call me to meet up. The 21 talon is a great boat that handles very well for a 21. 90mph is a good number for the setup.

Jr.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Be careful in that boat when running trim (I have owned several tunnels big and small-never had a 21 talon but love the looks them), I asked Randy (Wildman) about them because he had one. His response was that he almost blew it over twice the first day that he ran it and lost interest. He said that it was unpredictable, I am only saying this (not to be negative) but I respect Randys opinion as he has owned and driven a lot of different boats and he is always performance oriented. I didn't pursue the purchase of one after hearing this. I would rather say what I have heard rather then read about a potential accident and wish that I had told you. Have fun and wear a jacket. Hope you guys get boating weather soon up there, that chain is a blast to say the least (reminds me of a small lake of the Ozarks with all of the places to go, and nothing can beat the stuff that happens at Blarney).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEROG View Post
    Be careful in that boat when running trim (I have owned several tunnels big and small-never had a 21 talon but love the looks them), I asked Randy (Wildman) about them because he had one. His response was that he almost blew it over twice the first day that he ran it and lost interest. He said that it was unpredictable, I am only saying this (not to be negative) but I respect Randys opinion as he has owned and driven a lot of different boats and he is always performance oriented. I didn't pursue the purchase of one after hearing this. I would rather say what I have heard rather then read about a potential accident and wish that I had told you. Have fun and wear a jacket. Hope you guys get boating weather soon up there, that chain is a blast to say the least (reminds me of a small lake of the Ozarks with all of the places to go, and nothing can beat the stuff that happens at Blarney).
    Wow, what kind of power was he running. I know that you can crash just about anything, but the reason I looked at the Talon is that all my online reading suggested they were rock solid. You probably won't see me participating in the shoot outs as I was just looking for a cool fast toy for jackassing around. Thanks for the input.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He had a mod 260-he has lots of seat time the in the 18 liberators (mirage splash) and in the 21 liberators with singles and twins (eliminator splash), he has also built some very fast v-bottoms over the years, so like I said, I respect his knowledge. You can always move weight around in it if needed-(talk to the guys that have run them and get their input).

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Actually, it was a stock 1998 300 Promax. It ran 97. I sold it to a friend and told him to be careful with the trim. He said "I know how to drive these" He called me 2 days later and said he almost went over 3 times in the 1st 45 minutes! He sold it a week later. You could trim it up and it would take a set. Then it would just start coming up. It was gradual, but if you weren't paying attention, it would be too late to bring it down. The 22 Talons are much better though.
    " IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU ARE, IT'S HOW COOL YOU LOOK!!! "

Check out my new website. liberatorpowerboats.com
    Boat Delivery available

Things owned. NOTHING!!
    Ain't got no toyz, Ain't got no money! I is jus a poor Florida boy!

Visit My Liberator Boats Website

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an old video on Utube of one going over.
    Cawley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that boat would be much safer with the lighter weight of a 2.5L engine since that is what is was designed for. A 280 is an entirely different animal fro a 300 Pro Max needless to say.
    Lee Sanderson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talon

If it helps, I have an 18' Talon with a 225 ProMax. I'm not sure of the weight on mine but I think it's pretty heavy compared to an STV or a Mirage boat. I have had mine up to 92mph with a sportmaster lower unit. That it running a 28p ET 4 blade. I tried the 3 blade cleaver in a 30p that was worked and I hit the same speed but the boat felt pretty loose when I trimmed out. I would think with a 280 you could hit 100mph easily with the right prop. Just be careful. Lots of people here talk out of their @$$ and say you can blow over and do this and that. You will recognize the people who's opinion you can trust (Wildman and a few others) and those who just talk junk. You bought the boat to have fun so go out and run it. But don't go balls to the wall just yet. Keep it around 75mph or so and play with the trim and get a feel for the boat. Then gradually increase to where you start to feel unsafe and back off a bit. Just my opinion.
    2004 Deep Impact 36 Triple 300 Verados
    1998 Donzi 35 ZFC Triple 300 Verados FOR SALE
    1989 24ft Skater, Twin Diamond Marine 280's with Diamond Tuners, 34p Cleavers. A few pieces of JL Audio equipment.- SOLD
    1988 18ft Talon- SOLD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned a 1987 Talon T-21 with a Mercury Racing 2.5 carb motor (245hp), detweiler hyd jackplate, DAH chopper 28 and the boat would run into the 80's. With your 280 I would anticipate speeds in the 90mph range all day long. The boat is a great handling cat with center pod, they run well through chop and turn like they're on rails but watch out for the swells! If you let the nose drop between swells (or large well spaced chop) you will take a misty one to the face!! Enjoy..don't get too "happy" on the up button above 90MPH..like any small air entrapment hull, they can kite abruptly with too much trim!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast