Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation 175xr2 sport jet stalling

I have a 1997 175xr2 sport jet, it has a wot problem. Maybe some one can help.

It cranks and idles out of the basin, after 3/4 mile at wot it stalls. Then not starts for several minutes, then starts and runs fine back to the basin. I did find one oiler rod hooked up backward, which would mean low oil at wot. Would this need a rebuild, compression is 150 110 135 , on stbd,, and port is 140 125 145. after idling on the pipe compression has come up , with 25:1 mix plus oil injection.

any thoughts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All cylinders has come back, it is now idling smooth. tomarrow is water test on the flint.

Wright City, MO USA(Transplanted Seattlite)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a lot of oil, it won't hurt anything other than smoke a bit more and shorten spark plug life a little.

As for dying, I'd start with checking fuel delivery. Test fuel pump output to ensure it is a strong pulsed flow.

Second, replace the upper carb fuel hose temporarily with a CLEAR hose, run the motor and watch that hose to see if any air bubbles are passing thru, indicating air sucking into the fuel system at any point before the fuel pump. This will cause the motor to simply run out of fuel at WOT and make it hard to start until enough fuel is pumped in again.

Third, when it does shut down, immediately pull some plug wires and check for a hot spark. You want to rule out a heating and failing ignition.

Most likely is air leaking into the fuel, but you got to check the ignition just to be sure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ignition checks out good, all with in specks. Some one put 3/8 fuel line from the pump to pump then to the upper carb. I plan to change the fuel line, and I will do what you suggested at that time.Thank you for your time, I look forward to more tech talk on this forum.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to do away with oil pump and go to premix.I am having a hard time finding part numbers,
    van any one help me out