Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setback on Vking YT

Hi,

I currently am running a YT with an 89 Mariner 200, 28P Chopper and 10" or setback running low 80's

I have sifted through the hydrostream threads here and got a general concensus from them that in terms of setback on these boats, less is more.

In a week or so Im putting a 2.5L 260 on the boat and was thinking to take off 6" of setback so it is only 4" with lift. I am going to be trying a 30P cleaver with this setup. is taking out 6" a good idea?

Cameron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran mine with 4" and ran good with a small amount of porpoising I ran 10" of set back and did not like the way it felt but no gain or loss in top end mph. Lost some holeshot with the 10". I ran a 150 prov yamaha with a 30 mazco re3 at 84.6 mph this was the best prop for me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the additional power on tap, you won't need as much setback to carry the bow in the midrange, because you'll be able to "power" through it instead. You won't need all the setback for top end, because you'll be running fast enough to where hull aerodynamics will begin to help carry the hull.

However... The 4" will work better with a Chopper or a mild "lifter" like an ET. The midrange acceleration with the Cleaver will be very sluggish without the additional setback to carry the bow. 4" setback and a cleaver will only be useful together for running top-end with no passenger load.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    With the additional power on tap, you won't need as much setback to carry the bow in the midrange, because you'll be able to "power" through it instead. You won't need all the setback for top end, because you'll be running fast enough to where hull aerodynamics will begin to help carry the hull.

However... The 4" will work better with a Chopper or a mild "lifter" like an ET. The midrange acceleration with the Cleaver will be very sluggish without the additional setback to carry the bow. 4" setback and a cleaver will only be useful together for running top-end with no passenger load.
    Thanks for the useful advice, pyro. I'm definitely focused on the top end with this new motor so I think Id like to try the cleaver first. Ive heard over 90 MPH the bow lift isn't needed from the Chopper/ET and is a bad idea in this kind of boat. I've also never tried a cleaver so I guess Ill just have to see how much low/mid range suffers.

"The midrange acceleration with the Cleaver will be very sluggish without the additional setback to carry the bow." - Do you think I may be able to save the mid range a bit keeping the setback?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your already set back 10" so I would bolt the motor on and try it. I had a YT for 16 years and ran a 260 eight of them, the boat ran an easy 105 with a 30 cleaver and I always ran 12" of set back. I didn't care about hole shot or midrange I was always going for top end. For one summer I ran a 15" S3000 motor and did 110 on GPS...same prop. My YT hated round ear props for top end. The center pad on a YT isn't as deep as the sponsons so that hull can use the tail lift of a cleaver...IMO. I have a buddy running a YT with a 200 Looper and he also runs 12" of set back and turns a 34p cleaver and he's running 106+ on GPS! So these hulls are fast if you keep your foot in it long enough!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trust Paul over anything I say, seriously... He has extensive first-hand experience with your type of hull.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fast yt hull ive seen around my area runs a 12" plate with a promax hes bumping the limiter at 97 with a 28 yamaha