my buddy blew up his 02 optimax a few weeks ago so heres where i sit so far.

he started the boat and ran it up to around 55 mph and maybe 3 minutes into it he said started losing power and engine quit. tried to start it and all it did was strip the starter gear/flywheel. so i had a voicemail from him since he was stuck up in the middle of some lake in nh and i am down here in ct. so when i called him back he said he was back to shore. i said pull the plugs. upper left plug (cyl 1?, if standing behind boat) is coated in molten aluminum. 3 other plugs look normal wear with white spot on electrode and two are kinda ashy almost a bit rich. i will take pics and post plugs, he delivered the boat to me today and i havent pulled the cowling yet.

sooooo i almost though cold seize possibly but that plug is telling me lean. so injector, coil, these have air injection as well? any ideads or points to look at. i am sure it wont turn over (havent tried) and i have to pull that one head first and see how ugly the cyl is. i am HOPING maybe i can swap a sleeve and piston/rod set on the bad cyl and then have to figure out what went wrong. i guess its going to need to be put on a scanner? i am not to up on the optimax outboards.

any thought input appreciated.