Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pros and Cons of this motor?

I bought this motor cheap off a bass boat that was rotted and being scrapped. I got all the controls, dual cable steering helm and wiring harness as well as the oil tank and a SS prop. I would love to paint it and use it on my 16'6" Checkmate Enticer if it is a good motor. Compression is 90# on all 6 which seems low. The motor has not been crancked in years due to the rotted hull and missing trim pump motor. That was cranked with a decent battery and dry cylinders. Is it possible the motor is good or are all the cylinders scored? Is this a looper or a crossflow? I currently run a Suzuki DT115 that has been upgraded to 140 specs on my boat. Runs 55Gps with me a buddy full tank of gas, cooler and a black lab mix. I was told the motor is a '92 model. If this is posted in the wrong section let me know and I will delete. Thanks, Scott.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a 1990 crossflow motor. They are good, reliable motors that are economical on repairs, but a looper would be a better bet. Get it running and run some engine tuner through it, if the compression comes up to 110 or so, it's a good motor.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas it up and run it

Check out my onlyfans....
    Subscriptions start at 1 gallon 100LL a month

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those old johnson are tuff!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as long as the compression numbers are even across all 6 even at 90 psi its fine ,some compression gauges read low so for peace of mind try another one compare diff ,i get many late model outboards for service and comp readings are 10 to 15 % lower then what manual says and run fine might be little slower on takeoff and lose a couple of mph on top end thats normal ,if it idles good and smooth starts well ,i would run it .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    as long as the compression numbers are even across all 6 even at 90 psi its fine ,some compression gauges read low so for peace of mind try another one compare diff ,i get many late model outboards for service and comp readings are 10 to 15 % lower then what manual says and run fine might be little slower on takeoff and lose a couple of mph on top end thats normal ,if it idles good and smooth starts well ,i would run it .
    Thanks everyone for the response. First, on compression numbers, how much does it matter on battery strength and the fact that the cylinders were dry? Also, how does the power/speed possibilities of this motor compare to the Suzuki that is on it now? The Suzuki runs like a Swiss clock so I have time to look for better options. Like most of us here I would like to gain the most speed with the least amount of money. I'm starting to lean toward parting it out for a profit (hopefully), and looking for another motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    This....

I had one that had 90 across the board and pushed my 17 baja to 67mph gps... I beat the piss out of it. NEVER EVER let me down. Great motor. Just dont think you will be hotting it up.
    "They hate us 'cause they anus."

]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
    This....

I had one that had 90 across the board and pushed my 17 baja to 67mph gps... I beat the piss out of it. NEVER EVER let me down. Great motor. Just dont think you will be hotting it up.
    Thanks, 67 would be great. As far as hopping it up, I was told that the 150 Tracker XP had the 175 carbs and made closer to 165HP at the prop. Was that bull****? Anyone have an opinion of this versus my Suzuki? I'm leaning towards keeping it just based on everyones opinion on it's reliability. Did your Baja have a pad? I bet gas mileageage sucked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil in the cylinders will definately bring the numbers up..... soak it with engine tuner, power tune or sea foam to get the carbon out of it, add some extra oil to it and run it then pull another compression test...... bet it will go over 100.......... you can always cut the heads for a little more gain
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .