Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2007 300XS spark plug question.

The factory calls for the plugs to be set at .032. I've seen posts on S & F (I think) and other sites that say if your having idle problems with your motor, to set the plugs at .044. I'm not having problems that I'm aware of, but I'm wondering if there's any advantage to using a bigger gap as a normal setting. If they might run better with .044, would it make sense to just set the plugs at .044, or something in between .032 and .044. I spend way too much time in no-wake zones (not by choice) and if a bigger gap would be helpful, I'd give it a try. Thanks, Al

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more unshrouded spark seen by fuel so it has more complete ignition however if you go to far you can lose spark energy and intensity. and may effect spark plug heat range requirements
    Last edited by 150aintenuff; 04-10-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: more info

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you pull off your heads with the plugs in, you will see that indexing the plugs would greatly benefit the combustion
    process. If not indexed, your ground electrode could be standing in the way of the direct injection.Basically 12 o-clock or 6 o-clock would work best on either side. With that being said, if you have one at 9 on the port bank or 3 on the stbd you could notice some low idle stumbling / misfires. ... Also, I would stick with the factory gap.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had two merc techs confirm that there is a merc service bulletin that changed the gap on the 300XS plugs from .032 to .044. I have re-gapped mine and cant tell any difference. I had no problems prior nor since.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKETMANJP View Post
    Ive had two merc techs confirm that there is a merc service bulletin that changed the gap on the 300XS plugs from .032 to .044. I have re-gapped mine and cant tell any difference. I had no problems prior nor since.
    Im curious as to which model years that is for.... it may be specific as mine ( 2012 ) has no such service bulletins as of the last time we checked. If you happen to have the serial # range post it up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent seen the service bulletin personally and don't know if it affects certain serial#s are all. Don Weed of European Marine in S. Carolina has it posted on BBC on a sticky at the top of the Merc 3L HP Board for ALL 300XS's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm almost ready to change my plugs and still not sure whether to use .032 or go bigger. Rocketman- do you know the numbers of the bulletins you mentioned? Which site is BBC? I'll take a look. Al,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bass Boat Central, and Don is probably the king of the 300XS, wish he frequented this site sometimes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ALE, call your local Merc dealer, Boatmasters in Livermore Talk with Drew, he is very helpful.

925 443 5775

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam McKeon View Post
    If you pull off your heads with the plugs in, you will see that indexing the plugs would greatly benefit the combustion
    process. If not indexed, your ground electrode could be standing in the way of the direct injection.Basically 12 o-clock or 6 o-clock would work best on either side. With that being said, if you have one at 9 on the port bank or 3 on the stbd you could notice some low idle stumbling / misfires. ... Also, I would stick with the factory gap.
    Good advice with the indexing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F14 View Post
    ALE, call your local Merc dealer, Boatmasters in Livermore Talk with Drew, he is very helpful.

925 443 5775
    F14 I know Boatmasters and Drew quite well. They sold and installed my motors. I was just there this past Saturday to pick up some parts. Never gave it a thought to ask him. Will have to make a call.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALE View Post
    F14 I know Boatmasters and Drew quite well. They sold and installed my motors. I was just there this past Saturday to pick up some parts. Never gave it a thought to ask him. Will have to make a call.
    Right on. Maybe I will see you out in the delta soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to get ready for the water. Just amazing everything that needs to be done before the first trip, to make sure it keeps going all season. Where do you launch and cruise? I usually launch at Brannan Island and take the San Joaquin up to Stockton, occasionally swinging over to Disco Bay. Once in a while at Suisun and head out to the mothball fleet (which is being scrapped rapidly). If you're running around and see a 30' Hallett with triple 300XSs, give me a yell. Al,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Al, I launch out of Orwood by disco bay as I store by boat there. My 21 Daytona is a smooth water boat and great for the delta but not the main channel. Sounds like you have a great SF bay rig there. What speed are you seeing with those triples? I am very happy with the single 300Xs and have seen 105 so far. Here is a pic so you can recognize me.
    Brian
    Last edited by F14; 04-16-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, Nice rig. Eliminator's are great, quality boats. I also have a 20' Sport Cruiser with a 225 Suzuki that we use for skiing. The Hallett is not as fast as it sounds/looks. I'm usually loaded with 150+ gallons of gas and 6 to 8 passengers. It runs right at 74-75 on GPS with that load. Might do a few more with less fuel and bodies, some real set up time, more prop testing, etc. but I'm OK with it as is. I like Brannan because the parking lot is huge and there's 6 ramps, so not too many worries about getting stuck behind someone that doesn't have a clue about ramp etiquette. The downside is the really strong current. Makes it difficult when coming into the dock. I've tried smaller marina's but I'm not comfortable doing too much maneuvering around docks, other boats, etc. See you out there. Al,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0397.jpg