Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best kind of gel coat to use

ok , i have a top cap of an allison drag i am going to regelcoat. what is the best kind of gel to use .. i have seen gel put on it has a orange peel look, hince allllll the sanding. is there a way to lay it on more like paint??? i have also thought about emron? is there something better??? i guess since i am putting so much into the resto of this boat i wanted it to be as close to original as possible.thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    north american composites ,be sure to add about 15% styrene to help it self level.if it drysprays add more.thats where alli gets theirs use a large tip primer gun or buy a gelcoat gun .dont outrun your wetline use 8-10 cc per quart for catalyst less if hot 10 if cool. It takes 2 people ,ome to mix and one to spray.If I cant talk u out of it you will only do it once.It will have a LOT of orange peel.wipe off the sticky 3 spserate times with acetone,start sandingblock it lightly with 280 to get high spots again lightly with 320 ,400 soapy water ,same wth 600 and when u hate your boat and your fingers are still bleeding you can sign the bill of sale with blood while you are too tired sore bleeding and still sick from fumes although you also bought a 3M charcoal respirator when u bought your chemicals.just dont do it ! 3M wax and restore twice with a mophead spin buffer variable speed shake up the compound before use and u will be very suprised spend ur money on gas and oil If you are too hardheaded to take GOOD ADVICE put on 6-8 coats of clear for sanding so not to cut through.god be with you and have mercy on your fingers! call mike at uniqueboatproducts.net and tell him lee in alabama said to call .he is in kentucky and does good work, he sprayed a purple bullet in my shop and it looks new
    If you ain't livin on the edge,....Your Takin' Up Too Much Space!
    Black Warrior Mafia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can add Prestec or Duratec to your gelcoat mixture. This will make the gel spray for like paint. When I re gel'd did my drag boat, I put on the 3 colors, blocked it and touched up any cut thru. I then proceeded to spray clear gel, with Prestec mixed in. The finish lays out real nice with Prestec in the gel, but sanding, buffing is still required.
    79 Southwind Tunnel Dragster 540ci BBC

UMPBA 926 Gas Jet

My Projects http://s200.photobucket.com/user/Dir...?sort=3&page=1