Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another norwegian with an ongoing 16ft "Hurricane 470" project=)

Hi

I just became a member of this great powerboating community, and thought I'd share my project with you guys hoping to get some feedback in the form of advices, opinions or anything else

The boat is an old Hurricane 470 16ft speedboat with a deep V-bottom. I got it very cheap from a guy who had it in his garden leaning up against a hedge for years. The boat was totally stripped and the bottom was scraped clean of about 40 layers of old antifouling.

Some pictures of it:

I first bought a 1984 Johnson 70hp which turned out to be totally blown. Ended up selling it in parts for the same price I bought it for.

Then I bought a 1986 Evinrude 120hp looper. It had been stored in an old OMC workshop for years, but it seemed to be in a relatively good shape for the price.

But when I took a compression test, only one cylinder had good results, bottom starboard side had poor results, and the two port side cylinders had no compression at all. Started tearing it apart and found out that it needs a total rebuild and new oversize pistons. The port side headgasket was completely torn apart between the cylinders, and the bottom port cylinder and piston is really "worn out". Fortunately the price was very good so I can always sell it as parts and get back what I paid and even more. I have not decided what to do with it yet
    Couple of pics of the damages:

The guy I bought the 120hp from, had a 1982 Evinrude 90hp that he said I could buy for half the price of the 120hp, so I took a chance on that after finding out about the issues with the 120hp.
    This 90hp was stored in an outside storage for god knows how many years, and the guy I bought it from did not know the condition of it at all, but he allowed me to take a compression test before we sealed the deal, and the results were good with around 125 psi on all cylinders.

Tried starting it, but found out that it had a gas leak between the fuel pump and fuel manifold, so I replaced a hose and the fuel filter gasket and the motor started right away So this is the motor I will be running on this boat for now.
    A video of the second startup:

Based on what other people say, I should be expecting around 60mph with this motor properly rigged on the boat.
    I just bought a used CMC power-lift from Stoker2001 (thanks for that) that I will use on this boat.

This is my first powerboat project and I am very excited to see how it will run=) I'm thankful for all advices and opinions I can get from you!=)

Will update here when I get things done with the boat.

Regards,

Tomzern
    Last edited by tomzern; 03-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor response

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep up the good work Tom and keep us posted with progress piks
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like you have a good running motor. now just have to put the pieces together. good luck with the build.

5. Likes Will hedrick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Sorry for not updating you guys, but the truth is that there is no progress to update you about. The plan was to get the boat seaworthy before the end of this season (september), but I have bought an old Datsun as well that needed alot more work than I expected, so the boat project has been put on hold for a while. My goal now is to test it early next summer

I will keep you posted, I promise!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got around to testing the boat this week

The initial plan was to paint it and make it shine before testing it, but I needed some fun and action so I just threw it all together with just the basics installed inside and went for a test ride.

I was wondering how it would float in the water with all that rear weight. It wasn't so bad:

First test was with an original 14x17 evinrude ALU-prop. Didn't expect much, but it was the only prop I had, so I gave it a try The result was 40.3 mph and a very aggressive acceleration :P This was with the lift all the way down and a hint of tilt.

Two days ago, I borrowed a Raker 13.5x22 stainless prop. At first I did a few tests with the lift all the way down. The boat was very unstable and started to chine-walk very easily. With two persons in the boat it was more controllable and I topped out at 47.2 mph.

I didn't want to raise the lift because I have no water pickup yet, but at the end I tried to raise the lift just about an inch. The boat was much easier to control with just me in it, and it also allowed me to tilt the engine a bit more. At the end of the day I managed to get 51.5 mph out of it. This was at about 5000rpm.

Next step is to mount the water pickup and pressure gauge so I can lift the engine some more

All speeds measured with GPS.

REMEMBER; This is the first time I have ever driven a boat in this category at these speeds, so I am grateful for any advices you may have for me

Regards,

Tomzern

9. Likes Will hedrick liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good to see it on the water
    "Whacker Smacker" #561 IHBA M/E div1 2007& 2006 first looser champion
    2007 Sportsmen Driver of the Year

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Hurrycane 470 back in the 80'ties
    Same color (bit more fresh though) running an 115 in-line 6 Merc.
    Don't remember the prop setup (that might have been way off back then) but I recall it did 50+ knots...

Any news to your project?
    Lars P Helminsen
    Hvaler Islands, Norway

Birchwood 29 / Evinrude 225 - Pleasure project
    Moore F2 / Merc 200XS SST - UIM F2
    Seebold F2 / Merc SST120 - UIM F2 - Sold
    Lustcat 18 cat / Merc XR2 - Sold
    Hydrolift CR24 cat / Merc XR2 - UIM Offshore Class 3C 2L - Sold
    Argo 22 cat / Merc XR2 - UIM Offshore Class 3C 2L - Sold
    Argo 21 cat / Merc XR2 - UIM Offshore Class 3C 2L - Sold
    Hurrycane 470 v-bottom / Merc 115 In-line 6 - Sold
    Hurrycane 370 v-bottom / Yamaha 30 - Sold

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats my old boat i wanted to use my BMW m60b40 and a waterjet from a seadoo in this