Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

prop advice 03 hydrostream voyager 250xs

i have tried 2 props. motor even with pad. manuel 8" jackplate. 03 250xs with 1.62 sportmaster. 25 tempest had decent holeshot but lots of slip on topend. 6100 at 72 mph. 26 bullitt cut chopper a little less holeshot but hardly no slip on topend.
    5500 at 81 mph. boat has manuel plate so i have not moved it much. with chopper it runs about the same 2" below pad to even. i have not lowered motor with the tempest because i really think motor should turn a 26 or 27 close to 6000 rpm. it is fat shaft lower so most of my props do not fit. does anyone have a voyager setup that i should start with? i am undecided on sending my prop to get worked to loosen it up some. or should i be looking for a different style prop?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried a full blade 28 chopper with a little roll? In stock form it didnt work at all out of the hole, but a slight roll made a world of a difference. (04 Vegas w/250HO) We also had great results with a 29 srx, but thats a no go with your fat shaft.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Current Ride - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have not tried a 28. i think it would to much since i only can turn my 26 to 5500. by roll do you mean cup? i am not sure but i think the bullitt cut just reduces bow lift. i still get good lift without much trim so i dont think the bullitt cut on the tip is hurting anything. i never had a optimax or a 1.62 before so i dont know if it is running close to what it should or not. motor idles and runs smoth at all rpms. it just seems to me that a stock mercury 250xs on a 1200lb hull. me and my chunky girlfriend equal 470lb. it still should be upper 80s with the right prop and motor hight. i might have to put my evinrude on it to see if its the merc or hull holding it back.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try raising the engine more. You may need to be above the pad a little. I don't have a Hydrostream but I have the best speeds at about 1.5" above using a 3.0L Sportmaster. Obviously watch the water pressure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a 27p Trophy Plus on my 05 Voyager with a 250xs. I haven't really played with it to get the top speed but the previous owner reported 89.5 with that prop. I've found that the motor likes to be run high. I've got a hydraulic jack plate and I run it all the way up.

I also have a 24p Mazco HP4 which will get to about 73 on the rev limiter. It has great holeshot but causes the boat to chine walk on the top end.
    '72 Glastron GT-150 Johnson Stinger 65
    '83 Hydrostream Varmint 2.4 225 Mercury
    '05 Hydrostream Voyager 250xs optimax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about pitch by the numbers unless you're comparing identical model props in different pitches. Some props don't reach their potential until they're raised high enough. Some will hit an RPM "brick wall" until they're surfaced enough to cut loose. Just because it's a taller pitch doesn't mean it will turn less RPM than a different prop in a shorter pitch.

The trophy 4-blade is one of the most under-rated props for performance. People think of them as bass boat props, but they run very well on the surface with a lot of other pad-vee bottoms as well.
    The ET was originally created from a cut-down Chopper. Like the Bullet cut, it has less blade area and less bow lift, but less drag. This might be another one to try.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess i will go up a 1/2 inch at a time untill i see a change. i guess more rpms and mph means keep raising motor. more rpms but no mph gain i guess that would mean drop it a 1/4 and leave it alone. until i find a trophy to try.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try and find a HOSS HPD (newer ones come in flo torq hub) in 27-28. It will hold tight bite low to upwards of 1 1/2" above pad and carry your whole boat. It has like 'no' slip from holeshot to top end. Just a wonderful prop for your style boat. Get one a pitch or two higher then you think and that should work best. JMP from actual experience. Tim can always tweek it for you at reasonable cost to keep them like new performers.
    1990 22' Activator Yami HPDI 300-sold-86.4
    1976 21' Challenger 2002 3.1 Yami 250 Vmax phase lll 89.7-sold
    1982 21' Superboat 300merc-87
    1990 22' Activator yami OX66 Vmax 250-84.2
    1982 30' Scarab-twin 200 Merc-sold
    1979 21' Challenger 300 Evenrude-sold
    1979 21' Superboat 200 Merc-sold-72