Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a labbed 28p ET that I run on my king. It pulls too many R's but does give me a firm planted ride. The whole boat lift of a lightning is hard to beat.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullthrottleguy View Post
    Wow - now there is some helpful advice!

John: I've been reading on here long enough to know to respect and listen to your advice. Unfortuantely I don't have access to anything more than 94; and I run this boat enough in the summer that race fuel would bankrupt me. When I mention high compression heads I'm speaking about the 638, 639 heads cut .020". My compression is currently 102-105 PSI in all holes, when i bolted these other heads on for fun last fall the cold cranking compression was around 115 PSI - I never tried to run the motor. My timing has been backed off to 26°. Do you think I'll be ok? When you mention pinning the carrier I assume this is so that it doesn't try to spin in the housing due to the torque applied to it by the bearings and seals? Additionally, what in your experience is the max speed i can realistically expect from this combo without turning the motor into some radical impractical thing or breaking the bank?

Baja: Wow those are some impressive numbers with a 150 on a YT! I'm leaning towards a 32 ET now; and will keep the chopper around too. The motor easily turns +6000 RPM and 85 MPH with 4 people with this prop. All the gauges are brand new and digital; I'm likely just not remembering the RPM right for those top speed passes (I should really get into the habit of using the recal function on the tach)

Phil: I have 8" of setback on a manual jackplate. It will run with 1-4 people without any changes to the engine height.

Pyro & Xstream: You're likely right that a cleaver will be the all out best prop for top speed; however at this point I think I'll go for less of a drastic change with an ET.... for now.

Pman: We might have to meet up this summer so I can take that cleaver for a rip. Thanks for the offer.
    I'm not talking about running race fuel. 100LL avgas is fine and won't break the bank. If you run long enough with 638/39 heads (especially cut .020") and pump fuel, it is not a question of if you burn it down, but when--especially with 4-person loads, etc. The "premium" fuel at the pump is not always premium. I have tested this many times and it never fails. You will get a load that is not as advertised. You won't know it until the engine gives the two-stroke death rattle and slows to a stop.

Pinning the carrier helps to keep it from walking in the housing, not so much spinning. At high transom heights, the carrier movement will eventually wear into the housing, rendering the housing and carrier useless. Also, you should clean, etch and then (green) loctite and punch-stake the prop shaft seals in the carrier (stake at 12, 3, 6 and 9-o'clock positions). This helps to keep the seals from walking out at speed.

Realistic max speed is in the low to mid 90s as long as the hull is sound and straight. Without blueprinting the bottom, that number will be closer to low 90s; with a straight and sharp pad, strakes and sponson shoes, perhaps 95. But that old 235 will be on the edge at all times. Unless you have an emotional or vintage attachment to it, if you want a reliable lake engine that will push you at the speeds you're looking for, sell it and buy a Mercury 2.5 200 or similar. With very little in the way of mods, it will push you at 95+ all day and never complain. Please keep in mind I am not bashing 235s; I have owned at least 7 of these in my past (and am soon buying another for a vintage rig in line for restoration); they just have their limitations, and pushing a Valero YT with a load all day in high summer is not one of their best applications. These engines enjoyed a great lifespan, but they are truly dinosaurs when compared to a good running Merc V6.

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    I have a labbed 28p ET... a firm planted ride.
    "Firm and planted" means the ass end is glued to the water.

Loose is better, as long as you can handle it.

The most I have ever pulled with any ET was 88-89 mph-- there was always more bow lift than I needed, but not enough stern lift to loosen it up and get it moving. The first time I ran a cleaver I ran 92.5 mph. I raised the motor a half-inch higher and ran 95, but it was a scary ride. I'm mad at myself for ever selling that prop.

I just scored another cleaver yesterday, so I should be back into the 90's again this season.
    Last edited by pyro; 01-31-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added quote, fixed typo
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post
    that should be a sticky at the top of OMC tech, Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To me, firm and planted means it wasn't trying to kill me at 6500+ RPM's It sure ain't stuck to the water. On my King with an ET the whole boat lifts and flys evenly, just punch it and drive it. Stays level and somewhat controllable. Gotta be able to control it if your staying on the throttle for very long.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's too many factors to know what's best until you try them all. Each setup is a little different. With my XT, I found that I had to hang the bow really high with the ET before it would break 85, whereas the cleaver ran low and flat, and pulled through the mid 80's with relative ease.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWTjr. View Post
    Unless you have an emotional or vintage attachment to it, if you want a reliable lake engine that will push you at the speeds you're looking for, sell it and buy a Mercury 2.5 200 or similar. With very little in the way of mods, it will push you at 95+ all day and never complain. Please keep in mind I am not bashing 235s; I have owned at least 7 of these in my past (and am soon buying another for a vintage rig in line for restoration); they just have their limitations, and pushing a Valero YT with a load all day in high summer is not one of their best applications. These engines enjoyed a great lifespan, but they are truly dinosaurs when compared to a good running Merc V6.

John
    Yikes, gonna take a week to clean out the hate mail from your inbox (Mostly from Kevin)
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolltv View Post
    that should be a sticky at the top of OMC tech, Matt
    That was a good read; I was unaware it was a smart thing to do when surfacing a prop.
    I'll be sure to do this preventative mod before my boat gets wet this spring.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    There's too many factors to know what's best until you try them all. Each setup is a little different. With my XT, I found that I had to hang the bow really high with the ET before it would break 85, whereas the cleaver ran low and flat, and pulled through the mid 80's with relative ease.
    Pyro: Was your XT still able to carry a passenger? Was it a pig to get on plane? My Valero is obviously a bit lighter and shorter than you Vegas so I would assume I too wouldn't need the bow lift.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post
    Yikes, gonna take a week to clean out the hate mail from your inbox (Mostly from Kevin)
    That's ok, I have thick skin. No wait, i'm just fat. Crap!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Firm and planted" means the ass end is glued to the water.

Loose is better, as long as you can handle it.

The most I have ever pulled with any ET was 88-89 mph-- there was always more bow lift than I needed, but not enough stern lift to loosen it up and get it moving. The first time I ran a cleaver I ran 92.5 mph. I raised the motor a half-inch higher and ran 95, but it was a scary ride. I'm mad at myself for ever selling that prop.

I just scored another cleaver yesterday, so I should be back into the 90's again this season.
    You still running the lower witha cracked skeg?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post
    i have owned 2 2.5s, 3 2.0s and a 2.4 in the last 2 years and there is a 2.5 on beefs bench in my shop. I'm not a hater Im not THAT racist Bang for buck a 2.5 200 is hard to beat especially when you can grab them for $500 bucks with one low hole.

I think its funny that some diehards actually believe their "brand" is above the rest. Being different is fun but competition is key!

Kevin
    Last edited by baja200merk; 01-31-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What elevation are you running at? My vegas xt went over 86 with 2 fat guys in the front a 2.4 200 with a preload case with no cone or torque tab and a 28p choper at almost 7k. Its not gonna blow over in the 80s let it eat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really a true "blowover" risk, but it begins to kite the bow (sudden rapid aerodynamic rise) around 88 mph if it's hung too high with trim.

I also experienced this with the cleaver, but mostly above 90.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast