User Tag List

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie i can remember this race well i think it was just before Amsterdam

This WAS Amsterdam---------they moved it from the AMSTEL to the docks---
    Velden did not race in this one as he was race promotor and head honcho.
    Hans Pelster and his family were wonderful people----dad went everywhere with them.
    Bill Brown ran over John Hill [driving in E class] at the top marker.
    I ran at the front for the first 75 minutes and watched all the carnage from a very comfortable position-----then a water hose split and spewed dock juice all over the ignition, the BDG coughed spluttered and farted and then slowed dramatically.
    I pulled into the dock and CHAS danced onto the boat [all 250 pounds of him ] "what's up' he asked, like ,i am only the driver!!!!!!! what do i know about mechanics ?????? so i said , "Short of fuel i reckon"------he checked the fuel load and yelled "TONS of fuel", so i yelled well bloody well take some out then!!!!!!! Normal driver/ mechanic behaviour.
    Then he said "better get out"------ and put the slings on, i asked WHY and he quietly said "because she's sinking you pratt".
    Apparently the hose had been split for a while and had put a couple of hundred gallons into the sponsons.
    I watched as the crane hoisted it clear and drained the water-----i was well pissed off with the world and it's creator by now and stormed off back to the GMC camper---jumped into bed and went off to sleep for the next hour and a half.
    Was awakened by "BOO" my second daughter gently saying "Chas says to tell you, the second heat starts in 10 mins, he fixed the boat, and its lined up at the dock in 4th position, so get your a--se out of here, she handed me my Gentex and helmet and i made my way down to a much depleted field.
    All the film stars were out--------both OMC and Mercury-----just the good ole boys---- ready for the last bit????? ask me nicely if you want to hear it.
    "tis sunday lunch time and time for my aperitif----or drinky poo if you prefer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rotterdam race was where all the factory boats went down and after one and a half hours Bill Brown in the Miles /cosworth was declared the leader.
    He managed to drop it off the crane onto the dock and broke all the engine mounts. Before the restart.
    Should have been my turn to run it in Amsterdam, he decided HE was going to run it.
    That's when Chas and i decided we would have our own boat----and the trip to Devon to buy Rogers boat.
    I beat Bill Brown in EVERY RACE he ever entered after that.
    Velden said he would build me a boat for free if i would run it-----i didn't like him much anyway---so i wouldn't.
    Steve--i apologise for my misunderstanding the places.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think thats my old Molinari! I traded it to a guy in Toms River New Jersey back in '87

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gut-Pile View Post
    I think thats my old Molinari! I traded it to a guy in Toms River New Jersey back in '87
    -yup- pretty sure thats the one- any other details?- did you race it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I didnt race it. Just ran it around Canandaigua lake. I bought it off a guy on Conesus Lake had it for about 6 years with a multitude of different engines on it. I traded it for a cherry 1956 AB swift that I still own ...In fact my kids are running around with it! What are you going to do with it? where are you located? Looks like Tom never got it in the water, judging from what parts of the boat that your working on. (those holes are from me).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will send you a private message and talk off this thread not to tie it up- the boat is not owned by me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so where did all the OMC 2 ltr race motors go?
    Were they the 727? Greg Jacobsen got one from CeesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	727 front.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	285770
    Last edited by powerabout; 12-12-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My step dad raced a very similar boat here in South Africa in about 1971 or 72. Ran the boat first with a Merc BP and then with a Merc Twister motor. Those were the days of the very slow in/out power trim. No up/down function either. Renato and Angelo Molinari came to our house along with Caesar Scotti. I have some old pics that I will scan and post here. Incedently, Scotti was still running a boat much like this at that time before making his own hull. My dad always struggled with the boat porpoising, specially at altitude which led to a career ending crash

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly would like to see pictures of the boat !! Sorry to hear about your dads crash.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WILD10.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	289477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WILD3.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	350.6 KB 
ID:	289478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WILD4.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	289479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WILD5.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	398.6 KB 
ID:	289480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WILD8.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	289481Hi! sorry about the delay but I have been away from the office for the summe vac. Here are a a few ( i will scan and post a few more) pics of my farther 's Molinary tunnel boat as promised. the fist pic is when we collected the boat from Durban harbour, still in the crate. The second colour pic was after the first flip. The odd white steering wheel was taken from a family runabout for some or other reason. The next pic is after the boat was repaired . here he had just won a 4 hour race. the motor was a Twister.The third pic was when he met Angelo and Renato Molinari and Cesaer Scotti. Pic three is him sitting on the boat with a certificate for a world record in the SN class of boat. Pic 4 is the Molinari in front of a pair of Evenrude powerd boats just before his big flip. At that stage the loud peddal was deep down in the cockpit so the right leg was almost stretched out straight. His leg was completely crushed in the crash. interesting to note that those boats had a large water tank in the nose at the time and a pickup in the left sponson filled the tank to ballance the boat. I do have a few more pics which i will scan and post

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You used to have a real hard charger over there called Peter Lindenberg, he always flew it higher than anyone else and often paid the price.
    Is he still around ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jackiewilson,
    Yes ,Peter Lindenberg is still around but no longer racing boats. His last big get off was nearly fatal. He was under water for a long time after his Seebold nose dived at high speed. He Now races classic cars and makes up for a lack talent by having big balls! He raced a Velden in the USA back in the old V8 days along with a guy called Fred Steinberg . Not sure if it was with any success though. He was always quick here but then he always had the latest Seebolds or Veldens and the best motors.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by impala View Post
    Hi Jackiewilson,
    Yes ,Peter Lindenberg is still around but no longer racing boats. His last big get off was nearly fatal. He was under water for a long time after his Seebold nose dived at high speed. He Now races classic cars and makes up for a lack talent by having big balls! He raced a Velden in the USA back in the old V8 days along with a guy called Fred Steinberg . Not sure if it was with any success though. He was always quick here but then he always had the latest Seebolds or Veldens and the best motors.
    yes, as, I was there, Penang I think, we all thought he was a goner he was under over five minutes I believe. It affected his vocal chords.
    no doubt about the size of his cojones , he was never short of a shilling or two and always bought the best kit money could buy.
    Him and his family made the whole FONDA entourage welcome to his home in 1984 I think it was.
    wish him well from Mark and myself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roy Ridgell (Mercury factory driver) pilot first Molinari hull in a USA boat race.

Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    I think these pictures were originally put up by Seeroy.

Here is another 'Gulf Wind Marine': Roy Ridgell driving. I always thought this was taken at the 1966 Gold Coast Marathon, the last year on the ICW. 1100 Stacker.

The first American showing of this three year old Italian design was old number 888 which Roy Ridgell of the Kiekhaefer Mercury team drove to a smahing sixth overall with a single engine in the last Miami-Palm Beach version of the Gold Coast Marathon.
    But Aronow saw the boats in action while he was touring Europe last summer on his way to the world driving title, and bought a couple for study. The Molinari had won the rugged 6 hour Marathon of Paris two straight years, and even Aronow was impressed. He and the Magnum development team analyzed them from stem to stern and after months of testing, revising and re-designing the twin-keel Maltese magnum 16 went into production.
    in the words of Don Aronows son (Michael), www.boatdesign.net

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    He and the Magnum development team analyzed them from stem to stern and after months of testing, revising and re-designing the twin-keel Maltese magnum 16 went into production.
    in the words of Don Aronows son (Michael), www.boatdesign.net
    Seeroy was also involved in the 1967 project---

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast