User Tag List

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Johnno—- After OMC Went tits up, after spending millions on the V8 program and then just because the promoter had spent the five million dollar budget in three years and Charlie Strang pulled the plug, ——- SAN Germano and Cees had nowhere to go——- so with a little underhand dealings with Ralph Fraulin and the UIM, they managed to get their hands on the very successful FONDA series——-thats where FONDA went———-yesterday and today—— it’s still going strong as F1 in Europe.
    Johnno, just because I THOUGHT FONDA was great, and actually started it,— would not have made the series great——— fact is, ——-it was the best series ever—— breaking new ground and going global!
    As for getting tired of listening to the same old tune—— over and over and over again——you don’t have to look any further than Lassies OMC Facts-and fiction pages ! Or you harping on about the Wankel——- That didn’t too well either did it.
    The end of the day——- that particular program wasn’t exactly a money spinner was it ?

Cosworth program was only a one season project——- about the same length of time the rotaries lasted wouldn’t you say !
    Wonder which of the two cost the most? Plus, Cosworth is still up and running !

ONE ALL METHINKS !
    Me thinks we both are to old to argue about happenings from 45 yrs ago. Best to just remain friends and remember our passions and accomplishments from the past

2. Thanks RogerH thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Actually Merc is mostly to blame for Yamaha. The joint venture they had allowing Yamaha access to the Merc dealer/distribution network that put Yamaha on the US may when they pulled out of the venture and went to all the Merc dealers with their product at lower prices and better floor plans. With out the Merc patents for lower units, mount, gearcases, I don't think they would have made the impact they did. Brunswick would have tied them up in court for years.
    yes all true, I was working in a marina, closest dealer to Merc headquarters in OZ, we never sold one of those Jap Merc conconctions ( 55hp) that had the worst of both but I worked on plenty. OZ was the launch country.
    Several years later they had a full jap range and walked over Merc and OMC because they prop rated the engines and of course price dumped, that got the wedge in the door and the rest is history.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Bad decisions, one after the other from the top eventually killed it.
    Merc and omc both asleep to blame for yam walking in
    Ps did Merc help kill FONDA as they had no control less stop making hp 2.0 engines or swapped to sst120 200hp engines?
    Have to agree with you Pilgrim——- bad decisions by Mercury and OMC—— too busy fighting each other to recognise the threat that ignored them both and walked straight in.
    Merc really had plenty of control over Fonda, they employed David Parkinson full time under the guise of JPS. That was the European media and publicity company for Mercury.
    Parkinson did a brilliant job for Mercury——— The moment he walked away from Fonda—— Charlie Strang sent him a plane ticket to fly to the USA——— there he was offered a great job which he turned down.
    He was always a loyal Mercury man—— and there’s never been many of those skulling around.

Mercury were very good to all the Fonda guys one way or another——- and ex Mercury drivers.
    When Mark was badly injured in Casale Monferrato whilst driving a Martini Molinari, None of the OMC personal even visited him at the convent that served as a hospital.
    Jack Leek kept asking me if Mark would be ready for the next race—- which as you can imagine pissed me off right royally and eventually led me to gently direct him where to go for his next vacation?
    Both Martini and OMC had their own aircraft there——- but I couldn’t even get the snot off’n the end of their nose!
    It was left to Fred Haunstein and Parkinson——- and Mercury—with a lot of help from Alberto Fioretta to get Mark on a flight from Malpensa To London.
    You May begin to understand why OMC and me will never be best buddies—— I have never fallen out with ANY OMC driver——- all of them have been friends for ever!

5. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
    Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Me thinks we both are to old to argue about happenings from 45 yrs ago. Best to just remain friends and remember our passions and accomplishments from the past
    Johnno—- I agree, you are one hundred percent correct——- it’s good that we have our passions and memories—— but let’s not ever fall out.
    I lost too many good friends in the past falling out with them!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like my tricks thread has Ben frozen——— all it tells me is that an error occurred——— contact the webmaster@Scream and fly.———- 500 ?
    Maybe Greg can sort it———me——- I’m done for the night,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Looks like my tricks thread has Ben frozen——— all it tells me is that an error occurred——— contact the webmaster@Scream and fly.———- 500 ?
    Maybe Greg can sort it———me——- I’m done for the night,
    That will teach you for continuing to bash the rotary.

9. Likes lars strom liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renato Molinari test drives the T-3 engine in Germany, witnessed by Steven Ridgell

Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    When Merc transitioned from the Twister II's to the Twister TII-X the pickle fork became the more popular hull and the full front pretty much disappeared. Although the pickle forks appeared at the 1972 OWC with TII's, they really took over in 1973/74 and were still being raced up to about 1977/78.
    Attachment 272340Attachment 272341Attachment 272339
    I witnessed that transition to pickle-forks in 1973. I was at the Molinari facility on Lake Como, and I saw the pickle-forks become the main build for the upcoming Paris 6 Hour race (I think it was an October race). The first boat built for the Paris campaign, Renato Molinari jumped in it and test drove it.

Renato & co-driver Bob Hering’s boat will be the last boat built for the Paris race. Did Renato make any changes from the first boat to the (3rd or 4th) last boat built for the Paris race, only he will know that?

Prior to the weeks building the Paris’ boats, Renato got to test drive the European debuted T-3 powered Molinari boat at Koblenz Germany. Bob Spalding brought it over from the USA, were he was participating as the test driver for the T-3 engineers. After the Koblenz area boat race, in which Renato won, and not Bob with the T-3 engine, Renato got into Bob’s boat. And he took off down the course, with the sealed T-3 engine (wired straps with seal on the engine cowling) by the engineers.

And I surmise (rightly or wrongly) after Renato tested the Mercury V6 engine that day, he was totally committed to the pickle-fork design for future F1 Molinari boats.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Renato on picklefork at Como shop, Jan '73.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	429494

11. Thanks Mark75H, peterse90 thanked for this post
    Likes lars strom, Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champ winner in Merc power Molinari gives Lake X Kid a ride home, after Auronzo win.

The Porsche was cornering hard, and tire grip was squealing with tension /
    On Como mountain curve, the driver was leaning the car on its suspension /
    The road trip started at, Auronzo (quick, agile) which also defines this 911 /
    European Championship was, to be determined at this mountainous haven /

F1 boat engines came to wake-up, the snow ski resort area north of Venice /
    Not close enough to Austria to be heard, and weeks before 6 hours of Paris /
    Mike Downard representing, the USA arrived, with his 4 blade secret prop /
    Tom Percival in his Jaguar with family inside, motored-up to lake’s hilltop /

Honey, sister-in-law of Cees came too, a blond beauty that Bob admired too /
    At a host event by the city, the night before the race, in shyness I withdrew /
    They held a beauty contest, and a lady asked me “do you think I am pretty?” /
    In my mind I said of course Gillian, Tom rescued me and said she is pretty /

Next day I was more confident, “pull the kill switch,” as he putted by pits /
    I told Tom, with his boat sinking, on the starboard side with transom splits /
    In the race, Bob Spalding and Percival could not seem to avoid each other /
    Side by side, might be were the gash occurred between teammate brothers /

I jerry rigged Tom’s kill switch to work, a clothes pin type that misaligned /
    Patch was glued and nailed to hole, by Como’s singing carpenter as assigned /
    Mike’s blow over (trim pump’s malfunction solenoid) became an Italian show /
    Cees, Bob and Tom, were racing for third behind Cesare and Renato’s tempo /

I have seen this cousin rivalry before, these two racing for the win at Bolsena /
    A boat length behind on Lake Santa Caterina too, Cesare Scotti has dilemma /
    Cesare gets pinched between Renato on the right and back-marker on port side /
    The compressed air between, Renato and the other boat lifts Cesare boat to glide /

Straight up out of the water and level, like jumping a wave, a literal air wave /
    boat and driver returned to the water’s surface level, recovery a close shave /
    Cesare raced second to cousin Renato again, and some say as boat builder too /
    This race meant a lot to Renato, surely why he brought the carpenter there too /

Do you want to ride back with me?” Winning is a shared moment to delight in /
    Slowing from autostrade excessive speed, the 911’s braking power made me grin /
    On long sweeping right-hander curve over Como ravine, I looked down at the lake /
    Renato Molinari squealing tires, I have confidence in you, with no nervous shake /
    rsr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auronzo race participants..JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	439783

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24