User Tag List

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F1 Champion Jackie Stewart tours Como Race Shop, while staying at the Villa d'Etse.

I am almost certain Jackie rented the pleasure boat, for a family outing on the picturesque Lake Como, from the Villa d’Este. And then he and his family later motored over to the Como Race Shop.

I attached a photo of Villa d”Este where Jackie Stewart likes to stay, prior or post the Monza Formula One Grand Prix race. He stated his pleasure staying at Villa d'Este on page 127, of Jackie’s book titled; Faster! a Racer’s Diary.

Last edited by Lake X Kid; 10-17-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    I am almost certain Jackie rented the pleasure boat, for a family outing on the picturesque Lake Como, from the Villa d’Este. And then he and his family later motored over to the Como Race Shop.

I attached a photo of Villa d”Este where Jackie Stewart likes to stay, prior or post the Monza Formula One Grand Prix race. He stated his pleasure staying at Villa d'Este on page 127, of Jackie’s book titled; Faster! a Racer’s Diary.

Thereby hangs a tale of ongoing happenstance.
    I will reply to this post Lake X kid, but it's quite a long story . Tullio Abbatte used to supply all the F1 drivers who stayed at the Ville D' Este, a pleasure boat.
    Afraid you will have to go to "Tricks" thread to read the full account of what happened next? Only boat driver I ever knew who stayed there ( at that time) was Dick Summerfeldt !
    Looks like I screwed up again!
    i must have answered this in the wrong place

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My HiStory Recollection

Attachment 329893

“Do you know who that is?” Giorgio Molinari asked me, with a little excitement in his voice.

I do not know if this was a prearrange visit, or a schedule tour. Roy Ridgell gives formula one champion Jackie Stewart a tour of the Lake Como race shop. I am inclining to believe Stewart did not notify anyone at the shop that, he was going to stop by the shop. Giorgio and I did not have any pre-knowledge of his impending arrival. This visit might have been 1971.

Starting on the bottom floor, where the rigging and engine room were. Roy gives Sir Jackie a tour, and proceeds later to the floor above where the carpenters crafted the Molinari wooden hulls (I do not remember if Renato Molinari was present at the time). The one thing that sticks in my mind is, Roy telling Sir Jackie, if we want to go faster then we add another outboard engine to the race boat. And if we need to go even faster, then we attach a third Mercury engine to the transom. (I attached two photos which show the tunnel boat, equipped to handle three engines, which Roy referred too).

After Jackie and Roy went upstairs (maybe even eventually to Roy’s office which was on the third floor), I went to the dock outside. This is where Jackie entered the building, from the lake, and not from the road entry on the third floor. And there sitting patiently in an 18 foot fiberglass runabout, was a pretty blond and two young boys. In retrospect, I have to think, Helen Stewart has waited patiently many times with their two sons in tow, as husband Jackie goes on his inquisitive adventures. I am almost certain Jackie rented the pleasure boat, for a family outing on the picturesque Lake Como, from the Villa d’Este.

I attached a photo of Villa d”Este where Jackie Stewart likes to stay, prior or post the Monza Formula One Grand Prix race. Attached also is an excerpt from page 127, of Jackie’s book titled; Faster! a Racer’s Diary.
    The way I remember it,
    Lake X kid and Giorgio were gussing over Mr. Stewarts presence. I knew who he was but at the time I liked Emerson Fittipaldi - driving the Black and Gold John Players Special. I was not impressed and did not even try to approach him, plus I was very short at the time and so was Mr. Stewart. On the other hand the boat Mr. Stewart was driving was impressive. I don't remember anyone with him but the boat was a large V-bottom with a large inboard engine attached to a jet drive. I remarked to Dad after Mr. Stewart left that there were a lot of similarities between Renato and Mr. Stewart. One raced boats and drove a fast car (I had the pleasure of riding in the Porsche 911 with Renato to and from Como a couple of times), the other raced cars and drove a fast boat.

4. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renato's Porsche ....

Quote Originally Posted by GrewuponLakeX View Post
    ...... (I had the pleasure of riding in the Porsche 911 with Renato to and from Como a couple of times), ......
    I'm not sure I could express my feelings about that ride in the same manner as you ..... "had the pleasure" ..... I'd ride in a boat at any speed with Renato behind the wheel, just didn't have that same feeling as tires were squealing through those mountainside curves in the Porsche.

On the other hand, I probably wouldn't ride in a boat at any speed with Jackie Stewart at the controls.

6. Likes RogerH liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob Spaulding raced the new Mercury V6 on a Molinari sprint hull at the German race in Koblenz 1973. In the above photo all the other Mercury/Molinari hulls combinations were powered by the Merc inline 6 cyclinder. I think in the photo you can see the Molinari boat cowling height flare-up for the taller inline 6 engine.

Renato Molinari won the race with a inline 6 Merc, beating the field including Bob Spaulding with the (albiet more powerful) V6 engine. I say "albeit more powerful", because the two Mercury R&D engineers who brought the one and only engine from the states, kept the performance data secert and engine covered from the rest of the Mercury Race team (including Gary Garbretch). It was when we got back to the race shop in Como Italy after the Koblenz race, that the mechanics got to see what was under the engine cowling.
    I few color pictures of the new T3-V6 from Koblenz, Germany 1973 here:..https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...64#post3107164
    Last edited by lars strom; 01-22-2019 at 09:31 AM.

8. Thanks Mark75H, Lake X Kid thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Ridgell witness Bob Spalding drive the Merc T-3 in Europe for the first time.

Yes that is Bob Spalding debuting the first appearance of the Mercury V6 engine in Europe, at the Koblenz area boat race. Renato Molinari won the race with an inline 6.
    Before the race Cees vander Velden told me he did not understand why, Bob used a shorter sprint boat. But then again later, Cees flipped in the race and Bob did not.
    I did not remember the Players sponsorship was covered over on the boat cowling, as we see in the photo. But I suspect it had to do with the T-3 debut in Europe.
    Thanks for the photo Lars Strom.

10. Likes lars strom liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is Bob Spalding debuting the first appearance of the Mercury V6 engine in Europe, at the Koblenz area boat race. Renato Molinari won the race with an inline 6.
    Before the race Cees vander Velden told me he did not understand why, Bob used a shorter sprint boat. But then again later, Cees flipped in the race and Bob did not.
    I did not remember the Players sponsorship was covered over on the boat cowling, as we see in the photo. But I suspect it had to do with the T-3 debut in Europe.
    Thanks for the photo Lars Strom.
    I can remember the first T3 Molinari drove in the Paris 6hr race they had a list of drivers that drove it and I was told it had that much Torque steer it was difficult to drive for long.Maybe Willabee might comment if that was correct.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mer V-6

Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post
    I can remember the first T3 Molinari drove in the Paris 6hr race they had a list of drivers that drove it and I was told it had that much Torque steer it was difficult to drive for long.Maybe Willabee might comment if that was correct.
    Is my memory shot or didn't Merc run the V-6 at Paris in 73 before Germany? Sander won with an OMC v_6

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Sorry to harp on about this Lasse------------There were enough OMC 2 litres floating around to sink a battleship------if it wasn't a 'PRODUCTION RUN" there must have been an army of technicians somewhere in the world cobbling them together !!!!!!!!!!
    Cees had close to 40 of them in his workshop in Holland, and i can't imagine this was the lot !!!!!!!

You said it yourself. The first admitted production run was a V6 OMC of 2.4 litres, we could have lived with that and made that the ceiling 2 and a half liters.
    But no that wasn't very competitive either, so next comes the 2.6 loopers, then the 3 litres which weren't much bloody good either---too heavy------too slow is more likely. Lets put 2 of 'em on a single hull [ it's allowed because the class is OZ ]
    Seebold and Bentz made a right mess of that idea by Pissing on Renato from a dizzy height with a little old tried and tested V6 of 2.4 liters. But pride had been dented and muscle was needed so you made a V8 of umpteen litres .
    Mercury would not come out to play so you had to start your own series [ only OMC V8's allowed] if anything else turned up sue the pants of 'em.
    But there were no jockeys to ride these damn things-----never mind----OMC had a few million dollars laying idle----lets hire some of the 2 liter drivers----------still not enough------lets raid the lower classes, ie; the E class.
    This is where it was totally wrong-----to put E Class drivers [ under 1,000cc ] straight into an OZ [ totally unlimited class] boat.
    As you well know -----carnage followed----but got swept under the table. The money was flowing and that made everything alright .
    How long did it last Lasse?? -----3 years maximum ?? and then died --like the dinosaur it was.
    Not to worry -----with a bit of skulduggery from Herr Fraulin and the UIM we can nick the 2 litre series and install Velden and San Germano and change the rules to suit us----------which exactly is what you did.
    The Fonda series was always the class act and OMC could never understand how come it was so much better than their series.
    The answer is so simple-----------IT WAS RUN TO A FORMULA----AND REGULATED-----CONTROLLED-----HAD RULES.
    OZ is not formula 1---------Look at car racing today------Runs to a formula-----regulated ----controlled------not an open disaster waiting to happen like the V8's were.
    Last word-----I don't like going down this road-----i remember what i had and how much i enjoyed it, i remember the camaraderie , and the 30 years pleasure i took from the sport.
    Jackie: Quite frankly I'm tired of hearing how great Fonda was. If it was so great, where is it today, or yesterday. The only reason it was great was because you thought so and were involved .

14. Thanks lars strom thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know...I think Fonda was alright. I'm with Jackie on this one...

16. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Jackie: Quite frankly I'm tired of hearing how great Fonda was. If it was so great, where is it today, or yesterday. The only reason it was great was because you thought so and were involved .
    Johnno—- After OMC Went tits up, after spending millions on the V8 program and then just because the promoter had spent the five million dollar budget in three years and Charlie Strang pulled the plug, ——- SAN Germano and Cees had nowhere to go——- so with a little underhand dealings with Ralph Fraulin and the UIM, they managed to get their hands on the very successful FONDA series——-thats where FONDA went———-yesterday and today—— it’s still going strong as F1 in Europe.
    Johnno, just because I THOUGHT FONDA was great, and actually started it,— would not have made the series great——— fact is, ——-it was the best series ever—— breaking new ground and going global!
    As for getting tired of listening to the same old tune—— over and over and over again——you don’t have to look any further than Lassies OMC Facts-and fiction pages ! Or you harping on about the Wankel——- That didn’t too well either did it.
    The end of the day——- that particular program wasn’t exactly a money spinner was it ?

Cosworth program was only a one season project——- about the same length of time the rotaries lasted wouldn’t you say !
    Wonder which of the two cost the most? Plus, Cosworth is still up and running !

ONE ALL METHINKS !

18. Likes Vulture27 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically, Barbardier Transportation has only been building outboards since about 2001-02. They bought a name, not much more. The rebuilding/retooling/public relations costs have been enormous. They have come a long way, but have a much further road($) ahead of them. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, there is still multiple SuperFund Cleanup sites that OMC left behind in Illinois. It astounds me, the enormous amount of peoples lives & they're hard labor, and braintrust, and mountainous amount of money that OMC went through, for such a fruitless ending. Amazing. Just amazing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Technically, Barbardier Transportation has only been building outboards since about 2001-02. They bought a name, not much more. The rebuilding/retooling/public relations costs have been enormous. They have come a long way, but have a much further road($) ahead of them. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, there is still multiple SuperFund Cleanup sites that OMC left behind in Illinois. It astounds me, the enormous amount of peoples lives & they're hard labor, and braintrust, and mountainous amount of money that OMC went through, for such a fruitless ending. Amazing. Just amazing.
    Bad decisions, one after the other from the top eventually killed it.
    Merc and omc both asleep to blame for yam walking in
    Ps did Merc help kill FONDA as they had no control less stop making hp 2.0 engines or swapped to sst120 200hp engines?
    Last edited by powerabout; 01-26-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    I have to almost agree with you. OMC had technical advancements going on continually that was years ahead of anyone else. 200 hp outboards in 1969, X-8 outboard motors the size of todays V-6, sidewinder sterndrive that reduced the dog house in the boat, rotary outboards and sterndrives the were smaller, lighter and far more emission compliant that any 2-stroke at the time, pulse tuned 3 cylinders that set the standard for everyone else's 3 and 6 cylinder engine, etc. And this was all in the early 70's.The PCB issue was an EPA after thought. PCB was used as die slick in die casting perfectly legally. No one knew about its problems until years later. OMC was once the largest aluminum die caster in the world; 250,000 lbs/ day. OMC lost it's way in the 90's and never recovered. Lousy management. Enough said.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Bad decisions, one after the other from the top eventually killed it.
    Merc and omc both asleep to blame for yam walking in
    Ps did Merc help kill FONDA as they had no control less stop making hp 2.0 engines or swapped to sst120 200hp engines?
    Actually Merc is mostly to blame for Yamaha. The joint venture they had allowing Yamaha access to the Merc dealer/distribution network that put Yamaha on the US may when they pulled out of the venture and went to all the Merc dealers with their product at lower prices and better floor plans. With out the Merc patents for lower units, mount, gearcases, I don't think they would have made the impact they did. Brunswick would have tied them up in court for years.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast