Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

registering a California boat

I have bought a Rayson from a guy in Ca. I have the title, but I need to know what is the HIN to go by. On the title there is a "vessel number" and also a "CF number". Since there are no markings on the hull that I have found, which number do I use? The boat is now in Massachusetts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you cant find the HIN , its not to big a deal in mass so long as the bill of sale and title match , the enviro police will issue the boat a new MASS HIN # .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just have a title for the boat. I need to know which number on the Ca title is the one that was issued to the boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the cf # use the vessel number

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schiadart View Post
    Not the cf # use the vessel number
    depending on the year of the boat the environmental police usually need a rubbing of the actual HIN# that is molded into the hull of the boat . i believe its 1973 or newer that requires the # rubbing , if its older than 1973 the MASS EP will issue your boat a new hin # regardless of what number your title has . ( just been down that road , its not a big deal ) they will issue you a new title with the new HIN# and HIN stickers to apply to the top right corner of the transom and one to hide somewhere else in the boat .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello
    The early Rayson Craft ###s were on the port stringer foreward of the foot board bulkhead. They were usually stamped in a metal plate that was on the stringer under the fiberglas. The letter would indicate the mold and then the hull ###. Usually 3 numbers.
    HARLAN ORRIN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by harlanorrin View Post
    Hello
    The early Rayson Craft ###s were on the port stringer foreward of the foot board bulkhead. They were usually stamped in a metal plate that was on the stringer under the fiberglas. The letter would indicate the mold and then the hull ###. Usually 3 numbers.
    HARLAN ORRIN
    Thanks, I've heard that before, but I was looking for the plate ON the stringer, not embeded in the glass. I'll give it another look for it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (.......if its older than 1973 the MASS EP will issue your boat a new hin # regardless of what number your title has . they will issue you a new title with the new HIN# and HIN stickers to apply .....)[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion, this practice is ridiculous, just an example of the people in the State government finding a way to make money. If you already own a boat, and it obviously has a hull # already, we should be able to transfer that hull # to another states registration if that is the owner's residence. It's against Federal Law to change a car's VIN, boats should be no different. Likewise, when you buy your first car, you should be issued a license plate, that stays with you. When you buy a new car, you should just transfer your old plate to the new vehicle. I know that's how license plates work in Boise, Idaho. Here in California, you lose your plate with the car, and they charge you for a new plate.....again. So, back to the boat HIN, that # should be THE number used forever when transfering title.
    Makes sense to me, but then again, common sense is lost on our Federal and State Governments today.