Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone help me identify an old "inlline chopper vs V-6" Chopper Quicksilver

i was bummed my Valero was hitting only 76 mph on GPS, i think part of the problem is i was running a 26 inline? from the old "Tower of Power days" i just went up north and removed the 26 pitch we ran, brought it home and also compared it to the 24 pitch Heavy V-6 prop i run on my Vector. I just bought motor late in the season and had not removed Chopper since so late in the season, so after running it only twice, i never thought it would be an inline, i assumed a V-6 chopper since a strong 2.5 liter 200hp vs old standard 150 hp we were running. Can someone tell if inline by serial #'s? if not, it may have been cut down, it does not look like a nice balanced prop... but it feels so much lighter than the 24 pitch, plus it does NOT have the extra reinforced blades on the top like the V-6 choppers of the past. Serial #'s are as follows: #48 75774A5 26P and #48 13368A5 24P this would be great news if one is a V-6 wider diameter and one is inline, it would help explain my lower than expected speed, i figured i should have had 80 mph, motor decent compression at 110 psi, (decent, not great.)Jim... Since this post i have found an old chart by someone on SnF of course! great source of knowledge! my question is now what does someone think two stock choppers would run in speed? would the larger dia of the V-6 vs the inline make for only 1-2mph better? or are the blades different on the V-6? rake and cup making it more like 2-3mph if both were identical and stock 26Pitch? I am super interested in someones opinion on the what made the two choppers different, vs no weed cutters on the inlines? and smaller diameter. JIM
    Last edited by Valero2.5; 01-01-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking the big ears have more lift than the small ears. A big ear has more blade area and probably takes more power to spin to a given rpm.

I get a lot of crap on a Canadian site for using small ears, but they work on my SS2000. Great props for the money. Big ears have too much lift for me running solo and the boat is spooky. Very different props on my boat, I've tried 2 of each.

http://69.24.70.63/adamsdock/chopper.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big ear has recessed hub.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big ears are 14.5" diameter and small ears are 14" diameter. All I have seen anyway.
    Keith-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your engine height? Do you have a nose cone and low water pick ups? I'd think you'd need to be running high to get to 80.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The extra blade width of a big ear would increase speed if the boat was heavy and needed the extra bow lift. I think you would get more rpm with the small ear, thus more speed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES, it turned out when we ran 76 on GPS, we were running a small ear 26 Chopper. engine was up say 3" and i have a Bob's cone and low water pick up. Now have a prop i bought on ebay a little steep but has been cut down more like a lightning its a 29 Mazco, i am hoping this will work nice with just my girlfriend and me in the boat. (Valero V hull- had an HST and did NOT want YT or ZT hulls wanted more fun making turns with a V like my old Switzer years ago. I also have a 4 blade cleaver i am getting balanced and cut for my Vector with XR2 150 hp and i hope this one will have some nice mid range? i want Valero in low 80's and Vector low 60's fine, just want nice mid range punch. i can also run the 26 inline Chopper on the Vector or a big ear 24" plus the 23" Laser II.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at adamsdock.com, all info you need.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had lots of chopers IMO IN LINE is just a small ear 14d has shorter hub cap nut pertrudes past hub next gen big ear blade is at root recessed nut and heavier next new CHOPPERII noticeable difference i like small ears myself just my experience ART

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never saw a stock chopper without line cutters!

Quote Originally Posted by Valero2.5 View Post
    i was bummed my Valero was hitting only 76 mph on GPS, i think part of the problem is i was running a 26 inline? from the old "Tower of Power days" i just went up north and removed the 26 pitch we ran, brought it home and also compared it to the 24 pitch Heavy V-6 prop i run on my Vector. I just bought motor late in the season and had not removed Chopper since so late in the season, so after running it only twice, i never thought it would be an inline, i assumed a V-6 chopper since a strong 2.5 liter 200hp vs old standard 150 hp we were running. Can someone tell if inline by serial #'s? if not, it may have been cut down, it does not look like a nice balanced prop... but it feels so much lighter than the 24 pitch, plus it does NOT have the extra reinforced blades on the top like the V-6 choppers of the past. Serial #'s are as follows: #48 75774A5 26P and #48 13368A5 24P this would be great news if one is a V-6 wider diameter and one is inline, it would help explain my lower than expected speed, i figured i should have had 80 mph, motor decent compression at 110 psi, (decent, not great.)Jim... Since this post i have found an old chart by someone on SnF of course! great source of knowledge! my question is now what does someone think two stock choppers would run in speed? would the larger dia of the V-6 vs the inline make for only 1-2mph better? or are the blades different on the V-6? rake and cup making it more like 2-3mph if both were identical and stock 26Pitch? I am super interested in someones opinion on the what made the two choppers different, vs no weed cutters on the inlines? and smaller diameter. JIM
    NEVER saw merc stock choppers without the cutters!