User Tag List

Page 13 of 271 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 63 113 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbender View Post
    I have a strange feeling tux is keeping something from us,not nice Tony show us what you did or are doing,did you go to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by hoser View Post
    Hoser, you are washed up and if the water is over 2" forget it I know me too, I'm first to admit
    ECM, well..... that will never happen

Yes he beat Eric by dredging a new Chanel, clam stocks were significantly diminished that year as a direct result according to local fishermen... It was the first time i have ever seen a grey roostertail

Renouncing his cheating ways he relinquished the throne and handed the title over to superbender

LMAO, he was just using the short cut!

Quote Originally Posted by schiadart View Post
    My bernico is faster than the 22..just saying
    Just curious, what is the exact size of the BOTTOM of the boat, running surface not over all...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mariawhitetrash View Post
    Haven't run mine with the wing yet but will do as soon as the weather improves here!

Nice boat!
    Maybe you can help to answer what is the exact size of the BOTTOM of the boat, running surface not over all...thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tux974 View Post

Hoser, you are washed up and if the water is over 2" forget it I know me too, I'm first to admit
    ECM, well..... that will never happen

Just curious, what is the exact size of the BOTTOM of the boat, running surface not over all...thanks

Nice boat!
    Maybe you can help to answer what is the exact size of the BOTTOM of the boat, running surface not over all...thanks
    Im not saying to use my 21
    People say I'm lazy but it takes all my time

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoser View Post
    Im not saying to use my 21
    What are you going to use Tuff forget ECM's tator

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm. it has a slight lip at the edge of the v-pad. like a little chine.
    90 Vegas 89 200 78mph

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running surface is F2 Ski race max length of 6.5m (21'4" in American )

Beam 6'3"

Phantom 19G-R - E-TEC 115HO
    www.facebook.com/slayeroffshore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang it, I was 1" off for the Bernico
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4590.jpg   Bernico21Smokin.jpg   Bernico21F2OldStyle.jpg   231626.jpg   BlueBernico21One.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great discussion. The problem is that 95%++ percentage of these boat transactions appear to be used boats. The prohibitive cost of buying new keeps the technology/improvements down. Innovation in SOB has not been around (at least in the USA) since Progression came out with their P22. Everything since then simply used existing ideas/designs based off of Linders design.

We can argue what new technology would be best but reality is that even the hottest new design would still be a white whale as everyone is running boats that are 10 years old+. I am not saying that people could not afford them but instead saying that people simply choose not to spend that much on a simple 21ft boat. Looking at those boat show photos of the Tuff 21, I am sure that it is $65k+ with a 300XS and an aluminum trailer. For that money I would rather have a few year old 28 Skater and repower with new engines and I am sure most people will agree.

The speed argument is moot since it all depends on conditions and who is fine breaking their boats. An open ocean race could be won by a 30 year old 21ft Challenger with a 2.5 liter mounted on the transom. A race in the calm water would be a boat with 10 inches of set back and a 300X. One boat for each condition and for the price of a new boat you could easily set up two boats and have money left over.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said mrpenguin that sums it up pretty well
    27 Progression IO 22 Progression 300xs sold http://youtu.be/_K8boEfKrx4

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you going to use Tuff forget ECM's tator

yours
    IF IN DOUBT TRIM IT OUT

1986 21`SUPERBOAT W/ECM-300XXX

" The doctor says he's comin , but you gotta pay in cash "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLBqhpM-AiU

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by THE HOSER View Post
    yours
    OK, fair enough, anytime

MrPenguim,
    Good discussion with some very valid information in this thread
    $65K is up there for a 21' toy and not many could cut a check or get a loan for it but in today's market it is not out in left field for a custom built boat with the best products and materials money can buy if you so choose or have the want for one.
    Try and price any 21,22,23 not even a custom just a basic massed produced. I think you will find $60K is a realistic # if you want a new boat...Once again not saying this is something many can afford or better yet think it is worth laying out for a 21' toy.
    Do I feel that these prices have hurt many boaters and builders, sure, big time but is just a fact of life. The smart will always put their priorities in place first!
    Heck, I have a buddy that bought a new 20' ChrisCraft that listed for $80K

Since you mentioned building 2 decent go-fast boats for $60K. What I have personally found playing with toys and they have been many for me. Whether they were cars, motorcycles, boats etc is you buy used, you buy cheap and at the end of your nickle & dime build especially if you like things right or close to it you add yours #'s and you come to find yourself saying, heck for a few more $'s I could of had a brand new........

Perfect example with simple quick #'s the Skater you mentioned. $65K for an approx 8+year boat, $40K motors, paying someone to rerig if you are not able to do it yourself $5K a quick $110K boat. That is hoping everything else checks out to be perfect or close to your personal satisfaction.
    BTW, been there done that more than once Also all statements above are only MPO

PS; GL's design IMPO it is timeless and should get lots of credit which he has. He designed a good looking, simple, go fast, good riding boat is many conditions that was affordable

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A few ad-on's to the run........

OK Bra,
    P22 in a ........................ 22 Progression
    Eddy L or SBender in a..... 21 Super
    Pitbull in a...................... 22 Velocity
    Kirk in a .........................23 Krypto
    Phastboat in a..................22 Activator
    Herb in a.........................21 Intimidator
    Mark in a ........................21 Tuff
    All with the same power 300X or 300XS and setup of choice!
    This would be a fun run to watch from a hilo.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell u what.... Pastboat sure could drive the bal_z out Of that activator.

Ok tux I couldn't find MPO in my text abbreviation dictionary...what does that mean?
    Formula 260ss 496HO

Bender Clan Member

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been in the same boat and can see that a project can equal the new cost but that is not true in todays buyers boat market, $65k buys a lot of boat and you can easily find some quality boats if you know what you are doing and are patient.

In the past 12 months main people from this site have basically given away their boats that they spent hundred of hours and thousands of dollars to make perfect.

I drooled over Mikelarges 22 velocity and several other 21ft Superboats that were near perfect that sold on this site recently. You could buy any one of those engineless hulls and repower with a brand new 300XS and still be under $30k easily. I am sure most SOB guys would jump at $30k cash in front of them for their boat right now as it sits.

The economy of boating never made sense and I realize $65k+ is the real world going rate for a new 21ft SOB when you add it up but most people will agree (you can see this with new SOB sales) that the consumer is not willing to spend that kind of money.

How many new 22 Progression are sold each year? When was the last time a new SOB 21 Superboat was sold? Has Tuff sold more then six 21ft SOBs in the past several years? No company will give these numbers but this market is not the bread and butter. I wonder what will happen when the used boat market in this class gets too old as nothing new is replacing it.
    Last edited by mrpenguin; 01-02-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right. I gave away my progression for a song

Very limited buyer, however they are out there ( for brand new that is)

Bigest problem for mfg's of this product is that buyer wants instant gratificatîon..
    if its not there in front of them, and they have to visualize or wait, it's probably not going to happen....a tough spot, gamble to build one and hope for a buyer, but necesary
    Formula 260ss 496HO

Bender Clan Member

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brabender View Post
    You are right. I gave away my progression for a song

Very limited buyer, however they are out there ( for brand new that is)

Bigest problem for mfg's of this product is that buyer wants instant gratificatîon..
    if its not there in front of them, and they have to visualize or wait, it's probably not going to happen....a tough spot, gamble to build one and hope for a buyer, but necesary

I agree. I saw it with past threads about Superboat not wanting to build a new deck mold until they had enough orders. Marketing and selling your product is half the battle. Superboat probably sold more boats in a one year in the 1980s then he did in the past 10 years combined. It is not just the manufacturers fault but the consumers fault as well since new boats never have a chance over used boats.

There is no innovation or aggressive new ideas and our market is dead. I think the key lies in downsizing our engines to get the cost under control. I think that a fast 21ft boat with a 6ft beam and a 150hp would generate new sales. But then again, I am playing armchair entrepreneur and not putting money on the table.

Page 13 of 271 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 63 113 ... LastLast