Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    So ethanol eats up the fuel pumps too now.
    Gee I wish I would have known that before I installed an IN TANK submerged electric fuel pump
    Do you act like this in person? It's like arguing with a 2 year old. If so I'm glad you are in MI not IL. I'm going to make this statement one last time and try to get it through your thick skull, YOU ARE COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES!! Electric fuel pumps are nothing like our diaphragm pumps in outboards. You are running an E85 specific application where as most of us are trying to run engines designed to run on E0 on E10. Also, in case you didn't notice, which I'm sure you did since making 1800+ is no easy feat for a dummy, we 2stroke guys have an oil/fuel mix traveling throughout the entire engine vs just the top end. Can you process all this and get off your E85 4 Stroke soap box? I think I speak for a lot of us guys that realize E85 has a good potential in race applications & 4 stroke apps but not for our old conventional 2 strokes
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njj502 View Post
    Do you act like this in person? It's like arguing with a 2 year old. If so I'm glad you are in MI not IL. I'm going to make this statement one last time and try to get it through your thick skull, YOU ARE COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES!! Electric fuel pumps are nothing like our diaphragm pumps in outboards. You are running an E85 specific application where as most of us are trying to run engines designed to run on E0 on E10. Also, in case you didn't notice, which I'm sure you did since making 1800+ is no easy feat for a dummy, we 2stroke guys have an oil/fuel mix traveling throughout the entire engine vs just the top end. Can you process all this and get off your E85 4 Stroke soap box? I think I speak for a lot of us guys that realize E85 has a good potential in race applications & 4 stroke apps but not for our old conventional 2 strokes
    Again, that statement makes no sense.
    So the statements from other outboard users who HAVE run E85 sucessfully on this thread are false too ?
    You just pointed out a big difference between you and me,
    You think with the crowd, and I think for myself.
    People making statements about something they know nothing about and have no experience with is rediculous.
    The most common one's are, "I read" or "I heard"

I've heard many guys make the statement, "that won't work" through the years.
    You always have to qualify if it just means, "I can't make it work"

21' Eliminator Daytona V-Drive
    1800 HP turbocharged lake boat on E85
    Clock cleaning and wagon fixing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pour a quart of E15 into a glass jar and set it in front of a fan for 30 minutes then do the same with real non ethanol gas. E15 will make the jar sweat like crazy as it starts to make a layer of water on top of the fuel. Real gas does not do this. What do you think happens to E15 in a vented fuel system in a boat? Besides eating up fuel lines the ethanol turns to water which means rust and corrosion are not far behind. I work on outboards every day so this isn't hearsay or I read it on the internet. The only good thing about it is the damage E15 causes makes for more boat repair work for me....not good for the customers though.

4. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mechanics who see the damage every day in the consumer's motors are forgetting something. 90%+ of boat owners shell out the money for the rig and then let it sit all season, year after year. Who knows why. Maybe their wives beat them if they use the boat, or they'd rather get fat drinking beer on the couch. Probably both. At any rate, it's not uncommon for gas to be a couple of years old in a lot of boats. That can cause problems with or without ethanol. So for a true boater who uses his stuff and stores it properly, most of the problems don't come to pass in real life.
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree ,E 85 will never be for a NORMAL boater but i think for alot of us with a little knowledge of the fuel it will work great for us.I still would rather run mine on the hose at the house on gas than bother with a seperate fuel system in the boat,i live within 20 min of the lake,now if i was out of town i would just pour a few gallons of race fuel in at the dock when i get ready to load up and it wouldnt hurt for the left over gas to be in the tank the next time i fill up with e 85.This kinds of reminds me when i started to have motors built for FI and wanted to up the CR from the NORMAL advise that everyone repeated and went to a much higher CR,which now years latter the 9-1 guys are coming around.I would bet in a few years you will see more and more E 85 hot rod boats as our 93 gets degraded

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worlds BADDEST AZZ E-85 boat, and noooo it's notta' 2- stroke
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt7pvTOqmo4

is gone

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ally2dextreme View Post
    I agree ,E 85 will never be for a NORMAL boater but i think for alot of us with a little knowledge of the fuel it will work great for us.
    And there it is....

As a gasoline replacement in a normal boat it is not feasible. As a possible race gas substitute it might be right for SOME of us.

'95 STV "The Blue Goose"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nobody is claiming it does not work
    but simply that is a big crap shoot whether your engine is going to survive
    and i mean specifically through crankcase injection outboards (premix)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mer_bul.pdf   KLK751_N09-02.pdf  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PanRonnie View Post
    nobody is claiming it does not work
    but simply that is a big crap shoot whether your engine is going to survive
    and i mean specifically through crankcase injection outboards (premix)
    Great information,
    Thanks!
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it is for everybody. Most guys probably don't have the knowledge to tune it, or set up the proper system. With the correct pieces of the puzzle, and tools to tune it, shouldn't be a big deal. The rust factor is what scared me, water, and The correct oil that mixes properly.
    I have tuned to many engines with different fuels, cars, motorcycles, boat, blowers, turbos.
    2-4 strokes.. I'm switching in the spring to E-85 on my bass boat. Not sure witch powerhead.
    It will be a highly modified 200 EFI, 280, or drag. My fuel system is already set up for it.

This has been a good read.

Roy
    93 xr 2001 drag with a 15" drag
    92 xb 2002 comp with a 15" drag
    R.I.P. Phil "rpm racing" Watch over the rest of us my friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to use special lubricant to mix E-85 like Klotz KL-200 , 62R, Ucon LB-625 etc.........Because Outboard manufaturers lubricant not mix with ethanol ...
    Last edited by JP Love; 01-03-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There ya go throwing common sense into the mix. Trouble maker!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron V View Post
    The mechanics who see the damage every day in the consumer's motors are forgetting something. 90%+ of boat owners shell out the money for the rig and then let it sit all season, year after year. Who knows why. Maybe their wives beat them if they use the boat, or they'd rather get fat drinking beer on the couch. Probably both. At any rate, it's not uncommon for gas to be a couple of years old in a lot of boats. That can cause problems with or without ethanol. So for a true boater who uses his stuff and stores it properly, most of the problems don't come to pass in real life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuel hose out of an 08 38 Fountain. I get to replace all of it. The bad part is he thought he was getting non ethanol fuel from the marinas.
    Probably the biggest problem here is the fact that the EPA forces us to use fuel line that has the plastic liner in it, to prevent fuel vapors from permeating through the hose. Have any of your guys seen what happens in a Skater or a yellow fin with the fiberglass fuel tanks?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ethanol.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	270689
    Last edited by obrien; 01-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EPA who? Up here in gods country we use gates black fuel hose.....
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I wish it were that easy for me. However I have to use what the company buys, and that means I have to use the stuff with the liner in it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast