Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E 85 for my 260?

Anyone using E 85 for there 260 or 300 drag?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive always thought this was a good idea but kinda unsure of it also

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good idea if you like rusty internal parts. They can't be parked at the end of the day and left for a couple weeks. IME splashing with race fuel is easier and much less of a pain in the ass.

If your racing with it it's works great, for a recreational boat, bleh.
    Last edited by Capt.Insane-o; 12-25-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you would have to use the boat weekly or pickle it after each trip if it was going to sit awhile between uses.Its alot better than $10 race gas IMO...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it alot. And I dont mind flushing the fuel system for 5min at the end of the day.
    XR2001 & XB2002

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kool,are you running stock injectors?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ally2dextreme View Post
    Kool,are you running stock injectors?
    E-85 You can't the engine need near twice the amount of fuel to be not lean side... Yo have to modified all fuel delevery, injectors or jets for a carbs engine. Mod compression ratio, flush after each ride. E-85 is acid and alkalin, attract humidity, stay with gasoline.. For racing application ok but need lot knowlage in engine mod and carburation..
    Last edited by JP Love; 12-25-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to mention the engine probably won't live. Just last week while taking some recert classes for mercury, they told us of the problems they were seeing with engines on e15 in durability testing. So I would say stay far away from it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Love View Post
    E-85 You can't the engine need near twice the amount of fuel to be not lean side... Yo have to modified all fuel delevery, injectors or jets for a carbs engine. Mod compression ratio, flush after each ride. E-85 is acid and alkalin, attract humidity, stay with gasoline.. For racing application ok but need lot knowlage in engine mod and carburation..
    I like to get on here every couple months and read incorrect E85 statements from the uninformed.

E85 is going to take 28 - 30% more fuel volume than gas. Your fuel pump needs to be up to pumping that much more fuel and the ECU needs to be retuned for E85's A/F ratio. Stoich is 9.7:1 and max power is at 6.9:1 . If that's over your head then don't try it.

I never flushed anything in the fuel system EVER and have run E85 for over 5 years. I leave the fuel in the tanks over the winter and run the same fuel the next spring.

Never had any water contamination problems ever but I don't leave the gas caps open when it's raining either.

E85 will make more power than any gas and will run great at the highest compression you can put to any naturally aspirated engine.
    I've put 30# turbo boost to it with no intercooler.
    It's cheap and easily available here in Mi.
    A no brainer.

Funny but from all the E85 negatives I've read here from the outboard crowd, I never read anything from anyone who ACTUALLY ran the fuel in their engine. It was just all rumors.

21' Eliminator Daytona V-Drive
    1800 HP turbocharged lake boat on E85
    Clock cleaning and wagon fixing

10. Likes Rigaud liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you always forget you don't have oil in your gas.......... Totally with you on the turbo'd 4 stroke stuff, I wouldn't go any other way either.

I think it would be cool to set one up for the hell of it but not on my recreational boat. Too much of a pain flushing when done.
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    I like to get on here every couple months and read incorrect E85 statements from the uninformed.

E85 is going to take 28 - 30% more fuel volume than gas. Your fuel pump needs to be up to pumping that much more fuel and the ECU needs to be retuned for E85's A/F ratio. Stoich is 9.7:1 and max power is at 6.9:1 . If that's over your head then don't try it.

I never flushed anything in the fuel system EVER and have run E85 for over 5 years. I leave the fuel in the tanks over the winter and run the same fuel the next spring.

Never had any water contamination problems ever but I don't leave the gas caps open when it's raining either.

E85 will make more power than any gas and will run great at the highest compression you can put to any naturally aspirated engine.
    A no brainer.

Funny but from all the E85 negatives I've read here from the outboard crowd, I never read anything from anyone who ACTUALLY ran the fuel in their engine. It was just all rumors.
    I have been running it for 6 years on 2cyc. I like how it performs with NOS. All your statments are correct, but
    on a 2cyc it is a must to flush.
    XR2001 & XB2002

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by malexie View Post
    I have been running it for 6 years on 2cyc. I like how it performs with NOS. All your statments are correct, but
    on a 2cyc it is a must to flush.
    It is a must for performance, you are a racer with race ready engine and you know how to run the engine and you need special lubricant can mix pure methanol or ethanol.. Myself I know all to do to run an engine on E-85(I built heavy modified engines on methanol-nitro). But for a pleasure boater with few knowlage in mechanic, this guy can't... For regular boaters stay away of the E-85
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, not for rookies.
    XR2001 & XB2002

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The late Steve Heintz and friends supposedly ran E85 in 2.5 260s with great success. The knowledge is out there somewhere.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post

A no brainer.

I ran Methanol Drag sled awhile back, that I would think would be similar to E85 and I have to mostly agree, we couldn't put enough timing or compression(except for trying to roll over a 1220cc triple in -20f with a pull rope) pistons always looked like new, didn't seem like you could run it to lean, would just die if 'ya started to lean on it. BUT, as far as flushing it, without having a wet/dry sump oil system and babbit style bearings, the 2-stroke won't last long.

is gone

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast