Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it doesn't matter what brand the tunnel is, I'm just curious about the history of it. It would be neat to find out who raced it. It's amazing how similar all the different tunnels are. After looking at pictures of Seebolds, Broughtons, Veldens, Molinaris, and Herrings I still can't say for sure what it is, but I found these pictures on the forum of a 1980 Herring that looks a lot like my boat> http://s1061.beta.photobucket.com/us...pitt1/library/

I snapped a picture of the inside of it, and one of some more progress. I decided to go with a heat gun and paint scraper instead of sanding it right away. Looks like its a top layer of black paint, a layer of red in some spots, then a couple bottom layers of primer and something else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As thats a (maybe) midwest boat and I'm old midwest guy. Chain of Lakes. Remember back middle 70's bought a 13 foot Allison off a guy that raced it with a 3CLY Merc against the Rude Stingers. Lunched the motor, and I bought the hull. He bought a "Kitson (not mentioned here yet" Tunnel" but it was maybe 19 feet. Can't remember the Merc IL6 on it HP. Anyway, on the SS 90hp? I'd sell it. Find at least a 135 or up IL6 Merc. The 90 SS worth a good buck if a runner, but gonna be weak on "punch/WOT". My 15 foot Flatbotton (Avatar) would be a fishing boat with a 90. But thats damn cool looking ride ya got and worth "saving"! Find a 135 to 150HP for it. And no need to look either. My merc guru, "Dr Frankenmerc" has anything you want. All been gone through, and ready to go. Wish ya the best with it as one damn cool looking boat! Pic here.."want motors"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thom's Mercs 2'08 (1).jpg   Thom's T2x rebuild (18).jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread really needs to be moved to Outboard and Racing History.....many wizards hang there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowPro1986 View Post
    I know it doesn't matter what brand the tunnel is, I'm just curious about the history of it. It would be neat to find out who raced it. It's amazing how similar all the different tunnels are. After looking at pictures of Seebolds, Broughtons, Veldens, Molinaris, and Herrings I still can't say for sure what it is, but I found these pictures on the forum of a 1980 Herring that looks a lot like my boat> http://s1061.beta.photobucket.com/us...pitt1/library/

I snapped a picture of the inside of it, and one of some more progress. I decided to go with a heat gun and paint scraper instead of sanding it right away. Looks like its a top layer of black paint, a layer of red in some spots, then a couple bottom layers of primer and something else.

The side profile of that boat sure looks McCall now that I see it that way. I dont know when they quit building and I never saw a McCall that was V'd at the top of the tunnel but the side sure seems to have their signature shape and McCalls were not finished as well inside as some of the other brands like Seebold and Molinare. I also never saw a McCall with glass cowls but a lot of things got changed on raceboats back then and especially on those that have set around for 35 or 40 years. I think ole gator would know.
    bama hama

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MercNuts View Post
    The side profile of that boat sure looks McCall now that I see it that way. I dont know when they quit building and I never saw a McCall that was V'd at the top of the tunnel but the side sure seems to have their signature shape and McCalls were not finished as well inside as some of the other brands like Seebold and Molinare. I also never saw a McCall with glass cowls but a lot of things got changed on raceboats back then and especially on those that have set around for 35 or 40 years. I think ole gator would know.
    I agree there. I'm wondering if it is not some "Kit built" plans? Thinking old Glen'el (sp? always in Popular Mechanics) here? Had plans to build MANY boats. I have a old homebuilt "MiniMost" on the porch now. Deck and one side needs new wood. It will be over powered soon! Let me look over those old plans them. Do it later. But that "spray foam front"? Seems to me "Great Stuff"? Hell, I dunno. But thinking a plans/kit build "maybe". Long ago many there plans did NOT? include.."flotation". Just thinking here...pic my new "project"..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5304227-1.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, your boat is a Hering.
    Mark N
    "I'ma motorboatin' sonuvabitch!"

WASHINGTON N.C.. I TOO HAVE A BOATING PROBLEM
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afr View Post
    thats not a hydroplane thats a tunnel cool looking boat

Thanks what I was thinking....
    JOHN MASON
    '83/VECTOR/MERC 200-- SOLD
    '98 Quartershot T-3/ MERC 200

"If your not living on the edge, your taking up to much space"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MercNuts;2402544]Very nice boat Ed, but nowhere near being the "exact hull". It is definately a different manufacturer and I believe several years older based on several details. I am trying to identify you boat cowls in my memory but cant for sure. I think the rear is probably Broughton and I do not see anything else to indicate otherwise. If Ole Gator or Eagle One would jump in here we might get a positive I.D. on both.[/QUOTEAny help ID the hull would be great!! does anyone know if my hull would have been set up with a Inline in its day?? Thanks Ed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN4V View Post
    Yes, your boat is a Hering.
    Mark N
    How about Eds boat Mark?......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling I'm going to need a ton of help, haha! I've never really restored a boat, especially a wooden one, and I've never owned a hydroplane. What kind of epoxy would you guys recommend to seal it off after I've sanded it all down? Preferably something that won't bankrupt me, seeing as I only have $300 into the boat/motor/trailer.
    looks like a fun project! I built one this last winter using the west system I have no complaints but havent used other systems either. I'd check the chines and sheers for any stress fractures before doing the finish. I'd be interested in the progrss. good luck!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into the West stuff, I'll probably go that route. Do you remember what grade you used? If I remember right theres 403-404-405 and so on. what do you mean by chines and sheers? Sorry I'm not too familiar with a lot of this stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into the West stuff, I'll probably go that route. Do you remember what grade you used? If I remember right theres 403-404-405 and so on. what do you mean by chines and sheers? Sorry I'm not too familiar with a lot of this stuff
    i used both the 205 and 206. one is a slower set. when you coat the hull you will probably want the slower cuz if it goes "off" before you are done, it is a mess! (experience)the chine is the long member that meets the bottom pad of the sponson and the side and runs the length of the sponson. they typically have a twist and bend as it moves up to the bow. that twist is where there can be alot of stress if not done properly. the sheer is kinda the same. it run somewhat parallel to the chine and is the junction point of the deck and the sponson side. they would show the stress from banging at the dock or hitting something. but now would b a good time to inspect them if the sponsons arent totally enclosed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking at pictures of Seebolds, Broughtons, Veldens, Molinaris, and Herrings I still can't say for sure what it is, but I found these pictures on the forum of a 1980 Herring that looks a lot like my boat> http://s1061.beta.photobucket.com/user/Tysonpitt1/library/
    I believe the owner of that boat with the leukemia charity related paint job has since died presumably of leukemia. I recall seeing it on another thread when I was noodling around on Google for tunnel hull stuff. It looks like he died a couple of years ago.

Which suggests the questions, where is that boat now, and what of that garage of boat stuff?
    M

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some tunnel hull like the one you have .. Embassy Grand Prix Bristol 1982 http://youtu.be/A9zIjxUjrpo
    [/CENTER]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray Lumpkins- had the 1980 Herring-sst120- leukemia charity painted race boat-- your boat looks a lot like that style and make of boat- you may be right -it maybe a Herring built boat

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast