Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Tunnel hull hydroplane

I know it's a long shot, but I'm looking for any info on a project boat I just picked up. It's a 15' black tunnel hull hydroplane with Mercury and APBA decals on it.

I believe it came from Crandon, WI, and it has a old decal that was painted over that says "Bodyworks Unlimited" which is an auto repair shop out of Three Lakes,WI. It also has a racing style number 57 on the rear of it, which was also painted over.

I plan on sanding all of the old paint off of it, putting epoxy and paint on it, and putting on a 66 Merc 95 HP motor on the back. Any info on this boat is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat boat. That will be a cool project. Im not sure of the brand, not a Seebold, Velden, Broughton, Lee, Stinson or Scorpian. I dont think it is a Molinari either although front and rear cowls look a little like it. I wonder if it is a homebuilt? I think it is from the mid 70s. I dont think you will like it much with that engine on it. It doesnt have the power to make the tunnel work and the blunt gearcase of the 60s Mercs would be a limiting factor if it did.

You would probably do better with this post in the outboard and racing history forum here. One of the mods would probably move it for you if you request it.
    bama hama

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    cool find
    SEEBOLD CHAMPBOAT MERCURY S3000

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    your gonna need to get that motor way up in the air to run it on that boat , if u set it rite on the trandsom , the motor will be too deep and wont run at all , try and find a short mid for it , that will help , then put a speedmaster on it !!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seebold 007.jpg   2011-09-03_11-51-44_649.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a short mid for that and i live in southern wi cool find you can get all the steering parts in big bend wi at wintech marine let me know if you need any help you could even test it at my lake

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input! If I remember correctly the length is about 28” from the top of the motor mount to the bottom of the prop. The top of the transom to the bottom of the tunnel is about 18”. That's a difference of 10” and my prop is somewhere around 12” in diameter, so wouldn't that technically put my motor at 2” shorter than what it should be?

I didn't really research what kind of motor I needed, but I only paid $100 for this Merc so if I need to sell it for something different I don't think I'll have a problem making a couple bucks on it.

You don't think a 95 will push it enough? I've read that these old 950's are equivalent to the modern day 115/125's due to the way they were rated. I've also seen similar boats (although a few feet shorter) with only 35/45hp motors on them.

It looks very similar to the pictures of that Seebold, especially the nose and cowling. Perhaps it's an early model, or maybe somebody built it themselves and used the Seebold design as a template.

If you think the racing guys would know something about this boat I'd have no problem with the thread being moved over there.

Thanks again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowPro1986 View Post
    Thanks for the input! If I remember correctly the length is about 28” from the top of the motor mount to the bottom of the prop. The top of the transom to the bottom of the tunnel is about 18”. That's a difference of 10” and my prop is somewhere around 12” in diameter, so wouldn't that technically put my motor at 2” shorter than what it should be?

I didn't really research what kind of motor I needed, but I only paid $100 for this Merc so if I need to sell it for something different I don't think I'll have a problem making a couple bucks on it.

You don't think a 95 will push it enough? I've read that these old 950's are equivalent to the modern day 115/125's due to the way they were rated. I've also seen similar boats (although a few feet shorter) with only 35/45hp motors on them.

It looks very similar to the pictures of that Seebold, especially the nose and cowling. Perhaps it's an early model, or maybe somebody built it themselves and used the Seebold design as a template.

If you think the racing guys would know something about this boat I'd have no problem with the thread being moved over there.

Thanks again!
    I think you have the horsepower thing backwards. Older engines are rated at crankshaft, newer at propshaft. Example, at the time the ratings changed inline Mercs rated at 140 went to 115. A 95 at the newer rating would be in the 70s.

That engine looks like it could be short shaft, but the shifter is in the way in the pictures. The easy way to tell is the lower mounts. If they are even with the lower shock mounts it is.short. If the lower mounts are about 4 inches below it is long.
    bama hama

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately not Seebold design on cowls or hull. Mark I think it is too big to have been Mod 50. It looks J sport to me.
    bama hama

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling I'm going to need a ton of help, haha! I've never really restored a boat, especially a wooden one, and I've never owned a hydroplane. What kind of epoxy would you guys recommend to seal it off after I've sanded it all down? Preferably something that won't bankrupt me, seeing as I only have $300 into the boat/motor/trailer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling I'm going to need a ton of help, haha! I've never really restored a boat, especially a wooden one, and I've never owned a hydroplane. What kind of epoxy would you guys recommend to seal it off after I've sanded it all down? Preferably something that won't bankrupt me, seeing as I only have $300 into the boat/motor/trailer.
    looks like a fun project! I built one this last winter using the west system I have no complaints but havent used other systems either. I'd check the chines and sheers for any stress fractures before doing the finish. I'd be interested in the progrss. good luck!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into the West stuff, I'll probably go that route. Do you remember what grade you used? If I remember right theres 403-404-405 and so on. what do you mean by chines and sheers? Sorry I'm not too familiar with a lot of this stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into the West stuff, I'll probably go that route. Do you remember what grade you used? If I remember right theres 403-404-405 and so on. what do you mean by chines and sheers? Sorry I'm not too familiar with a lot of this stuff
    i used both the 205 and 206. one is a slower set. when you coat the hull you will probably want the slower cuz if it goes "off" before you are done, it is a mess! (experience)the chine is the long member that meets the bottom pad of the sponson and the side and runs the length of the sponson. they typically have a twist and bend as it moves up to the bow. that twist is where there can be alot of stress if not done properly. the sheer is kinda the same. it run somewhat parallel to the chine and is the junction point of the deck and the sponson side. they would show the stress from banging at the dock or hitting something. but now would b a good time to inspect them if the sponsons arent totally enclosed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this were mine I would finish the boat using CPES http://www.jamestowndistributors.com..._1269&type=pla according to the instructions.

Spray a epoxy primer surfacer such as: http://www.eastwood.com/ew-4-1-ureth...RCCODE=1SE0757

Then block and spray with a single stage acrylic urethane such as: http://www.eastwood.com/ew-69-72-gm-...thane-kit.html

The West Epoxy by itself on this wood boat isn't going to do anything but make a lot more work for you and probably make a lesser finished job long term. West if perfect for repairs but it's not the best to use as a coating, used by itself.

But then again, these are just my thoughts.

Last edited by Bruster; 11-26-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Bruster's Mercury solid motor mounts, details here:
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Bruster/Bruster.html
    I'm been living in fast forward, now I need to rewind real slow....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anybody is interested, I put my boat up for sale- http://www.ebay.com/itm/15ft-Hering-...m=221888287054

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast