Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Tunnel hull hydroplane

I know it's a long shot, but I'm looking for any info on a project boat I just picked up. It's a 15' black tunnel hull hydroplane with Mercury and APBA decals on it.

I believe it came from Crandon, WI, and it has a old decal that was painted over that says "Bodyworks Unlimited" which is an auto repair shop out of Three Lakes,WI. It also has a racing style number 57 on the rear of it, which was also painted over.

I plan on sanding all of the old paint off of it, putting epoxy and paint on it, and putting on a 66 Merc 95 HP motor on the back. Any info on this boat is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat boat. That will be a cool project. Im not sure of the brand, not a Seebold, Velden, Broughton, Lee, Stinson or Scorpian. I dont think it is a Molinari either although front and rear cowls look a little like it. I wonder if it is a homebuilt? I think it is from the mid 70s. I dont think you will like it much with that engine on it. It doesnt have the power to make the tunnel work and the blunt gearcase of the 60s Mercs would be a limiting factor if it did.

You would probably do better with this post in the outboard and racing history forum here. One of the mods would probably move it for you if you request it.
    bama hama

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    cool find
    SEEBOLD CHAMPBOAT MERCURY S3000

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    your gonna need to get that motor way up in the air to run it on that boat , if u set it rite on the trandsom , the motor will be too deep and wont run at all , try and find a short mid for it , that will help , then put a speedmaster on it !!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails seebold 007.jpg   2011-09-03_11-51-44_649.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input! If I remember correctly the length is about 28” from the top of the motor mount to the bottom of the prop. The top of the transom to the bottom of the tunnel is about 18”. That's a difference of 10” and my prop is somewhere around 12” in diameter, so wouldn't that technically put my motor at 2” shorter than what it should be?

I didn't really research what kind of motor I needed, but I only paid $100 for this Merc so if I need to sell it for something different I don't think I'll have a problem making a couple bucks on it.

You don't think a 95 will push it enough? I've read that these old 950's are equivalent to the modern day 115/125's due to the way they were rated. I've also seen similar boats (although a few feet shorter) with only 35/45hp motors on them.

It looks very similar to the pictures of that Seebold, especially the nose and cowling. Perhaps it's an early model, or maybe somebody built it themselves and used the Seebold design as a template.

If you think the racing guys would know something about this boat I'd have no problem with the thread being moved over there.

Thanks again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a short mid for that and i live in southern wi cool find you can get all the steering parts in big bend wi at wintech marine let me know if you need any help you could even test it at my lake

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling I'm going to need a ton of help, haha! I've never really restored a boat, especially a wooden one, and I've never owned a hydroplane. What kind of epoxy would you guys recommend to seal it off after I've sanded it all down? Preferably something that won't bankrupt me, seeing as I only have $300 into the boat/motor/trailer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats not a hydroplane thats a tunnel cool looking boat

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hull looks Lee Craft (the SJ class one) Cowls do look Molinari. Maybe it is just the angle of the engine pic but it looks like a shorty in that pic. Measure from the part of the clamp bracket that sits on top of the transom to the cavitation plate, see what the measurement is. It will work but not with that prop. Mercury made some exhaust hub props with different designed blades that would work on a tunnel.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, maybe a Mod 50 Molinari?
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowPro1986 View Post
    Thanks for the input! If I remember correctly the length is about 28” from the top of the motor mount to the bottom of the prop. The top of the transom to the bottom of the tunnel is about 18”. That's a difference of 10” and my prop is somewhere around 12” in diameter, so wouldn't that technically put my motor at 2” shorter than what it should be?

I didn't really research what kind of motor I needed, but I only paid $100 for this Merc so if I need to sell it for something different I don't think I'll have a problem making a couple bucks on it.

You don't think a 95 will push it enough? I've read that these old 950's are equivalent to the modern day 115/125's due to the way they were rated. I've also seen similar boats (although a few feet shorter) with only 35/45hp motors on them.

It looks very similar to the pictures of that Seebold, especially the nose and cowling. Perhaps it's an early model, or maybe somebody built it themselves and used the Seebold design as a template.

If you think the racing guys would know something about this boat I'd have no problem with the thread being moved over there.

Thanks again!
    I think you have the horsepower thing backwards. Older engines are rated at crankshaft, newer at propshaft. Example, at the time the ratings changed inline Mercs rated at 140 went to 115. A 95 at the newer rating would be in the 70s.

That engine looks like it could be short shaft, but the shifter is in the way in the pictures. The easy way to tell is the lower mounts. If they are even with the lower shock mounts it is.short. If the lower mounts are about 4 inches below it is long.
    bama hama

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately not Seebold design on cowls or hull. Mark I think it is too big to have been Mod 50. It looks J sport to me.
    bama hama

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a couple more pictures of the motor before I cleaned it up.

So this boat is a tunnel hull or a tunnel boat? and not a hydroplane? Good to know.

Mark- A standard Merc prop won't work with this boat? Could you link to me to the type of prop I would need?

This is all new to me so I appreciate all the help and information.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as I suspected it is definately shortshaft which is just right for that boat. In your pictures the transom looks to be ideal height for that engine. The bad news is, its still not going to have enough power for it. You probably want a 3 blade cleaver for it in as low a pitch as you can find. If you could find something around 18 or 20 (unlikely) that would be a good starting point. I would not waste a lot of money trying props because if you like the boat I predict you will be shopping around for a shortshaft 150 for it. I dont see it running much over high 40s or low 50s with the old 950, definately not fast enough to pack air. I am not dissing your boat because I think it is a very cool find but trying to ward off any surprises or disappointments later. I think a 1350 powerhead from 1970 or 1971 would bolt to your mid section using your lower. Anything newer will require a new mid section. Nothing newer than 1971 will bolt up except for the 71 1150 and odds are you wont run across one of those. Even an 1150 from 70 or 71 would be an improvement and can be easily upgraded to 1350. A 68 or 69 1250 powerhead would be another option much better than the 950 but not nearly as good as the 70 or 71 engines.
    bama hama

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast