Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys, thanks for all the input, transom going on thursday, raising it 5 1/4 inches up from stock. 2" white oak epoxied to clean top then dropping 8, 1/2 inch stainless steel rods 12" long thru new wood into old transom and epoxying in place. glassing it all up and plating in stainless plate in and out. motors will mount 18" on center. with the shafts 9' from centerline with the deadrise of the bottom this makes the transom height 21 1/2 where they will be mounted. with the long shaft towers i think i will still need to block them up an inch or 2 to make them work, but will know when i see one in place. water flow to the pickups is a concern. back in the day we used to drill out the lower holes and plug the upper 3 holes in the gearcase to run them higher and this is my thought on that. solid mounts absolutely !! one thought on the long shaft mids is geometry with trim. the longer midsections will allow the props to be trimmed back further into cleaner water behind the boat. with the water flowing off the bottom at an angle as opposed to straight back with a single engine center mounted , however this is going to be a fun boat not a race boat so i am probobly really overthinking this.
    1964 Chris Craft Holiday
    Homemade Glen-l Crackerbox
    71 Switzer 17 with twin Merc 1350s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about water flow in to the motors @ 21-1/2". You can still run a short that height. Longs will be deep in the water.
    Bruster's Mercury solid motor mounts, details here:
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Bruster/Bruster.html
    I'm been living in fast forward, now I need to rewind real slow....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your cave plate is going to be barely out of the water @ 21.5 inches. You will not have to worry about water intake issues until you reach 23 or more inches up. Bruster is correct, a short shaft is getting close to its ideal racing height @ 21 inches.

I run my inline close to 5 inches up. Or prop shaft close to level with the bottom of the boat.

Have fun , and post pics.
    L6fan57-88

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thoughts on trimming both motors with 1 trim pump?
    1964 Chris Craft Holiday

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman14544 View Post
    thoughts on trimming both motors with 1 trim pump?
    Last edited by Bruster; 10-21-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting idea, but don't think enough capacity to do 4 rams. Or the power for pushing 2 motors up under load.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The capacity in terms of fluid volume comes from the fact the cylinders are double acting.

The pump has plenty of power to run 4 rams, there would be 2 X the area for the pump to push against & they would only move at 1/2 the speed as 1 set.

Problem is there is no way (easily) to keep both motors syncronized going up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    Interesting idea, but don't think enough capacity to do 4 rams. Or the power for pushing 2 motors up under load.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruster View Post
    The capacity in terms of fluid volume comes from the fact the cylinders are double acting.

The pump has plenty of power to run 4 rams, there would be 2 X the area for the pump to push against & they would only move at 1/2 the speed as 1 set.

Problem is there is no way (easily) to keep both motors syncronized going up and down.
    OK, Agree on the capacity no problem thinking it now. And 1/2 speed? I don't think that would be a worry, as my Swit XS had horizontal rams. Trim only, no tilt. Had to disconnect the rams if you wanted a full tilt, but I never had to. Motor with the SS was jacked high anyway. And they were way slower than normal power vertical rams. More control at speed. Think the speed that a old Force 3 ram system. Twin rams for tilt, going down, hit the smaller center ram, for trim. Way slower.

But yep, the nightmare will be getting both motors to raise the same speed, as ya know that would be pure luck. Have to be a trial and error attempt I guess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the boat was on a trailer you could push one motor down and the other would go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby321 View Post
    OK,......
    But yep, the nightmare will be getting both motors to raise the same speed, as ya know that would be pure luck. Have to be a trial and error attempt I guess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something I have been contemplating for some time. I am considering pinning the two swivel brackets together through what would be the right lower shock mount on one engine and the left on the other. In doing this there would be only 2 rams involved, on the outer two standard locations. This would also allow the engines to be mounted closer together than would be possible with two trim rams in the center. As another option, possibly a 3rd ram could be mounted solo in the middle plumbed into the system and even though the third ram would have a tendency to slow the system some, speed would not be an issue since the trim pump would tolerate 24 volts in the up trim direction, or either in both. The determining factor would be how close the engines can actually be mounted to each other without cowl interference becoming an issue and I have not done a mockup yet to see the spacing between the swivel brackets if they are simezed. A third option would be to run the horizontal trim rams like a handful of inlines ran back in the day. This two could possibly done in either 2 ram (outers only) or 3 ram configuration.

I am very interested in doing a dual inline setup on some boat but the other hurdle is how to come up with a counter rotating gearcase without going to speedmasters.
    bama hama

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the boat was on a trailer you could push one motor down and the other would go up.
    Not talking on a trailer here, but know what said.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, gonna toss this in the mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by MercNuts View Post
    This is something I have been contemplating for some time. I am considering pinning the two swivel brackets together through what would be the right lower shock mount on one engine and the left on the other. In doing this there would be only 2 rams involved, on the outer two standard locations. This would also allow the engines to be mounted closer together than would be possible with two trim rams in the center. As another option, possibly a 3rd ram could be mounted solo in the middle plumbed into the system and even though the third ram would have a tendency to slow the system some, speed would not be an issue since the trim pump would tolerate 24 volts in the up trim direction, or either in both. The determining factor would be how close the engines can actually be mounted to each other without cowl interference becoming an issue and I have not done a mockup yet to see the spacing between the swivel brackets if they are simezed. A third option would be to run the horizontal trim rams like a handful of inlines ran back in the day. This two could possibly done in either 2 ram (outers only) or 3 ram configuration.

I am very interested in doing a dual inline setup on some boat but the other hurdle is how to come up with a counter rotating gearcase without going to speedmasters.
    OK, the "think Tank is in gear". I was thinking that today, some kind off..you, " considering pinning the two swivel brackets together" Ya on to something here dude!

And this.."tolerate 24 volts". I ran this through the "Do Frankenmerc" proposed set up, close friend here, me. His reply...

Robby,
    In response to,..."Single trim pump, twin motors?" I think it would cause the trim up to be extremely slow, and very possibly cause the trim down to be slow as well, which could be extremely unsafe at high speed when you need to stuff the bow in a milli-second to avoid blow-over, etc.
    I don't know this for sure though as I have never done it, so take it with a grain of salt.
    I would be tempted to follow the lead of the old school tunnelboat racers that carried (2) 12vdc batteries that fed the trim pump 24vdc.
    Having learned this, I suspect such preparation would be critical if running (2) trim pumps.
    Too bad he doesn't want to buy (2) shorty DSHs for his 1350s,...Or,...Perhaps a pair of 1500 shorty Mercs. :-)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting idea. I think the 3rd trim ram would be a must. there is a termendous amount of strain on the mounting brackets with 1 motor let alone 2.

Quote Originally Posted by MercNuts View Post

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys again thank you for the input, i like the 3 ram idea and may try it, or just mount both pump motors with 1 switch tied to both pumps and another switch to fine tune just 1 motor. new transom is on and at 9 1/2" off center hight is 21 1/2" allowing a 19" center to center. i have to stay in budget for the initial build so the 135s are the way i have to go for now, but if it all comes together and it works the way i think 1500 shorts will definately be in my future. found a couple in minnesota but out of my reach right now with shipping to NY.
    1964 Chris Craft Holiday

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen pictures of old "straight transom" Switzer SS's with twin inlines [pre 1970 I think?? (My great Aunt's 1969 was a straight, my 1973 is swept)]. The "swept" transom style like yours (and mine) with the "football" insert are the fastest with one short shaft inline. Rumor has it that the "football" was later eliminated so there would be less tendency to stuff for pleasure boaters, but I never asked Bob Switzer if it was true. Your windshield may have been cut, as I have only seen those on later non-football SS's.

Join the Switzer yahoo group and ask for help there. Or try Facebook. There are now 3 switzer groups on Facebook. Look for the "person" (not group) known as Switzercraft that says "same as Tom Arambasich". He has Bob Switzer's email, and Bob is a great guy who will fill you in on twins on a SS and anything else Switzer you want to know. Here is Bob, my dad, and I, and the most recent boat built by Bob at the 2012 Switzer reunion. Great old school guy still going fast!! Loves to share everything he knows.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	557137_4260801361842_1418102636_n.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	266371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170419_3876331919672_1879192491_o.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	266372
    Greg

'73 Switzer SS170 w/ '75 Merc 1500 L6
    '89 Switzer SK-175-BR w/ '88 Merc XR4 150
    '90 Switzer SS-20-BR w/ Supercharged 350ci I/O

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast