Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j90 View Post
    i just was thinking how heavy the original interior was. I so wish i would have weighed it people would not believe how heavy it was. Your new seats should be good for 10mph increase in top end.
    never had the original interior as this boat was a rotted shell. Just weighed the front seat assy, rear bench, and rear hatch. 88 lbs. Speed increase of 10 mph may be opomistic, but gotta be worth a bunch anyway.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would guess that just the one front seat weighed that when we took it out. Amazing 88lbs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j90 View Post
    i would guess that just the one front seat weighed that when we took it out. Amazing 88lbs
    we all access to some great materials, and great guidance on this board.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PRIMED USING AWLGRIP 545 EPOXY PRIMER.

PAINTED USING AWLCRAFT BY AWLGRIP AFTER SANDING PRIMER WITH WET 320. COLOR IS MATTERHORN WHITE. COLOR SANDED WITH 1000 AND BUFFED. CAME OUT GREAT. TIME TO FLIP IT OVER AND DO THE DECK.
    Last edited by GETBOATS; 05-12-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About time you posted a few pics considering i thought something might have happened .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    About time you posted a few pics considering i thought something might have happened .
    Yea...life happened, been working alot, but really happy with the results, while its still upside down, going to fix some of my questionable workmanship when the rear deck was glassed. (was working on my back with only about 12" under that rear deck. i can climb in now, sit on the trailer, and happily grind away and make it pretty. that's today

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`ve heard many good things about Awlgrip products. Your boat is looking really great.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GETBOATS View Post
    Hi S & F, bought this 20 sleekcraft sst a month ago, it has been sitting outside for quite some time. Interior was gone and floor had been cut out. Was not planning on a floor anyway. As things turn out, transom is 100% rotten, so the project just got bigger. After some research and reading on this site, composite is the way to go, more money, yes, but i just can't put wood back into this boat. Thanks to offshore ginger and xstreamvking for their advise. Coosa it is.

Back 3 ft. Of deck removed, transom dug out and thrown away. Existing fiberglass structure is in good shape and intact.

The transom plan: Using 2 layers of coosa blue water 26# in 3/4" with 1 layer of 1708 between original fiberglass and the new coosa transom. Between the 2 layers of coosa is 2 layers of 1708 with inside finished off with 2 more layers of 1708 all with vinyl ester resin. 3 large knees made from blue water 26#, 1 down the middle in the center pod made up of 2 layers of 3/4" coosa with 1708 sandwitched in the middle. Approx 20" by 24". Two more knees of single layer 3/4 coosa attached to the inside of the tunnels approx. 20 by 42.

The engine will mount using an existing alum 10" setback. The bolt pattern will straddle the outside knees with 16 5/16 ss hardware.
    Splash well will be filled in with original structure intact.

Whats the best way to bed the knees to the new transom and the knees to the inside of the tunnels??????

Does anyone see flaws in the plan?

Thanks for reading..........getboats

Going to have the same project on my 89 sleekcraft sst. I may need a few pointers as I have done a lot of metal fabrication but this is in uncharted waters for me. My project has all original paint which is still pretty nice and was wondering if this repair can be done without taking the rear deck off. Thanks,Blaine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcraftsst View Post
    Going to have the same project on my 89 sleekcraft sst. I may need a few pointers as I have done a lot of metal fabrication but this is in uncharted waters for me. My project has all original paint which is still pretty nice and was wondering if this repair can be done without taking the rear deck off. Thanks,Blaine
    First off Blaine, what have you done to determine the transom needs replacement? If it does, the area you will be working in is very tight, and you really need to build the new transom on the work bench, then put it in place. If you have the original transom structure, then there is a 2 x 4 on its side across the stern, the splash well makes it even tighter under the deck. start a thread and post some pics. you will get a flood of information and its all good. sounds like you're good with your hands, so go for it!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Da Bull for getting me off the dime. its been to long since an update. this pic was taken mid july before it was run for the first time. still in break in, but i turns a 29" with ease, but no wot numbers yet. runs free into the mid 60's with no positive trim, it seems to like 0 deg, lifts and is just ready to pack some air. headed for parker this weekend and the plan is to try a few different props, have a 3 blade and a 5 blade cleaver. very happy with the results so far. made some huge changes in the running surface, so am proceeding with caution. more later.................gbClick image for larger version. 

Name:	7-13-13_001 (1).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	281851

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proseeding with caution on a new design is the way to go. I have enjoyed this thread. I suppose thats because i watched these boats race in Mod-VP for years. Even drove one in a backyard race. BTW, It was powered by a very healthy modified Yamaha 2.6 on Methonal.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man! That boat looks FANTASTIC!!! Great job!
    Drive it like you stole it!

1991 Allison GSE 1998 225 ProMax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks da bull and hemi for the comments. will try and keep updates coming gb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey fellow Socal bro, I'm from Carlsbad, a few miles toward the coast from you. Say, where did you get your boat building supplies, (resin, foam, balsa core, etc...)? This is a big place with a big boating culture, but I'm damned if I know anywhere in Socal to get stuff like that. Or did you mail order yours? I also have a place in Boulder City, near Vegas. Any place to buy boat building supplies there?

-Peter
    "padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fiberlay in san diego, they would have most of wht you need. good luck!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast