User Tag List

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronnie,

Here's the kit I got, simple, no display to watch just a bright LED that signals knock. It's sensativity is fully adjustable as well. last one is a video clip of the mock up, note the temporary mounted LED on the steering wheel when the sensor gets tapped.

Video Clip:

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberator*21 View Post
    Ronnie,

Here the kit I got, simple, not display to watch just a bright LED that signals knock. It's sensativity is fully adjustable as well. last one is a video clip of the mock up, note the temporary mounted LED on the steering wheel when the sensor gets tapped.

Video Clip:
    Gary have you run the engine with the knock sensors? Some are real sensitive, had a truck that had a loose piston would hear it when cold but went away warm. The knock sensor would hear it even warm and was allways trying to retard the timing giving poor fuel economy and bit less power. After the piston was replaced it was amazing the fuel economy and part throttle increase.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave,

No, I haven't run the motor as of yet with the sensors on, I think we've got all your freak'n cold air down here..........LOL.

The Knock Sensor control box has a rheostat in it for fine tuning. Boat probably won't see the water with the Knock Sensors on it till spring cause I've got to pull the motor anyway when I put the new Atlas Jack Plate on, and thats the perfect time to run the cables in the rigging tubes, so that'll be middle of next month. I working on machining a sensor bridge that will help support the signal transfer between 3 cylinders each side of the block. I picked up this kit from one of your Canadian bro's up in Ontario. Porsche used a bridge set up on there motors that I've reading up on and it's like a tuning fork reading all 3 holes at one time. Since its aluminum it'll transfer knock great. I'll post up the whole project when I get it all done, been taken pics as I go.

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I can wait for next spring.........Guys I'm very impressed.
    HP(frequent flyer)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my version of the Porsche sensor bridge.........

My version in the mock up stage:

Porsche Version:

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks nice gary! great idea, i've been kicking the idea around as well and just connecting it to the wolf. got the new cyl heads on, 160 psi compression, runs fine w/ aces added. boat accelerates like it never did before. now if i could only get the time to tune it when theres low wind, it blew 25 mph all weekend, makes it difficult to try and hold the throttle steady to do any kind of tuning, went and had a look at the ocean, and it was 6 ft plus so i didn't venture out! the river was bad enough w/ 1-2 ft chop. i can hit 90 now in under 1/2 mile. incidentally, i've seen those sensors on something, i thought they were gm based?
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie,

160psi........., your now in 2.5 Drag Motor territory.....LOL, I'd say, "HELL YEAH", it should be running real great !!!! I'm positive that when the weather allows you to make some good passes, it'll be unreal .

I finished the Knock Sensor Bridges for port & starboard sides last night, mounted them and it made a world of difference in ability to sense knock equally. With just the knock sensor on the cyl. head stud at #3 & #4, it took allot more effort with my tester to get a knock fault from 1-2-5-6. I used an old spring loaded punch that is adjustable as to how much pressure is applied when you push it down, seems that at one setting on the punch now I get a knock fault on all cylinders equally. Obviously I'll need to tune the sensors in once I get back out again, but it's a great little project and added insurance for not much $$$$ out of pocket.

I'll post it all up within the week as a new project, you know we gotta keep this 3L Rigging/Fab Section going strong........

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberator*21 View Post
    Ronnie,

Here's the kit I got, simple, no display to watch just a bright LED that signals knock. It's sensativity is fully adjustable as well. last one is a video clip of the mock up, note the temporary mounted LED on the steering wheel when the sensor gets tapped.

Video Clip:
    Well done!

Looks familiar, this one is factory junk it might go fast like you guys one day.................... you know what, make that one of these years...

Last edited by baja200merk; 10-16-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was trying to come up with some ideas to fine tune your module to your engine cheaply
    according to the knock calculator
    http://www.phormula.co.uk/KnockCalculator.aspx
    you should have a knock frequency of around 92 mm = 6.2 KHerz
    and other than sticking your sensor to an underwater speaker with a 6.2 khz tone
    i can,t come up with anything
    unless you have access to a shaker
    http://www.bksv.com/Products/shakers...b=descriptions
    or somebody with a shaker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4809.ashx.png  
    Last edited by PanRonnie; 10-17-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post
    Well done!

Looks familiar, this one is factory junk it might go fast like you guys one day.................... you know what, make that one of these years...
    Quote Originally Posted by PanRonnie View Post
    was trying to come up with some ideas to fine tune your module to your engine cheaply
    according to the knock calculator
    http://www.phormula.co.uk/KnockCalculator.aspx
    you should have a knock frequency of around 92 mm = 6.2 KHerz
    and other than sticking your sensor to an underwater speaker with a 6.2 khz tone
    i can,t come up with anything
    unless you have access to a shaker
    http://www.bksv.com/Products/shakers...b=descriptions
    or somebody with a shaker
    Thanks guys, after I posted this I did a little more bench testing and the set up has changed a little. I started a new thread on it. As for tuning for the proper knock frequency, the guy I bought it from said he he preset the frequency close and it might need to be tweaked a little more + or -. I'm think'n worst case is I run it on a 2 gallon jug of 1/2 87 octane and 1/2 89 octane and tune for that.

New thread here:

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...r-install-300x

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on a more wolf related matter
    when you having nothing to do on those winter days
    http://www.sae.org/pdevent/otherproduct/PD130701ON/PDD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that sounds a lil risky gary!! i know they are very specifically tuned to a certain frequency, have had issues in the past w/ some of the stern drive stuff losing power, and it turns out that the knock sensor was being triggered by some other fault on the engine-bad circ pump, alternator bearings, etc could trigger it. i also know when istalling them onto the engine that the torque was crucial. it'll be interesting to see if you can verify its working, but could be risky on a running engine.. thats interesting ronny, definetely something for the winter months(or summer months when its too warm in fl to work on anything without a/c! ran the boat down to jupiter and back yesterday for the boat races, is definetely getting 3 plus mpg, but had to run 30-50 mph on the way back out in the ocean, it was kickin', 2-3 ft chop w/ no regularity plus some swells thrown in for good measure, talk about taking a beating. my friend gary went w/ a 24 skater, surprising what a difference 3 ft makes in a boat. i could't get the boat to settle in and run, if i trimmed in i was worried about stuffing it, so left it trimmed up a lil and drove thru it. i have some video i'll have to post up.
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie,

I'm gonna play with it and see what happens, got nothing to loose. The guy I got the kit from as different senerios for engine noise that he gave me to work through if needed, so options are available if noise becomes a big issue. Just something to keep me busy.....

Glad to hear your running real good, mileage sounds great too. Coundn't even imagine the beating you took and yeah, your right an extra 4 feet in boat length over yours makes a world of difference.

By the way, I might be down in Orlando in January. Wife has a business conference there, might fly down rent a car and drop down and pay you a visit while she's working, I'll be intouch once I know for sure.

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice gary! gotta go over all the hardware on the skater after yesterdays beating,lol! picked up an intake off a 250 etec w/ 3 butterflies, dimensionally it is pretty close to the 3 litre bolt pattern. next step is to do the math, the 3 litre butterfly is 3.49, the etecs are 2.22 (x3) so i guess i'll try area of a circle to see if the smaller 3 butterflies equal or are larger then the single butterfly, airflow would be much more even.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ronnie(or someone who knows math,lol) i came up w/ the area of the factory 300x butterfly(diameter=3.49) is 9.566. the area of the etec intake-each butterfly is 2.20, area is 3.8, multiply by 3(3 butterflies) is 11.4. is my math correct or am i wrong?

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast