User Tag List

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the next one i'd like to use 2 throttle bodies on, to even out the air distribution. the horn works but there is an air distribution issue at low throttle opening angles, i find the center 2 cylinders are rich, i put a correction in the computer for it, but that is a bandaid.
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    the next one i'd like to use 2 throttle bodies on, to even out the air distribution. the horn works but there is an air distribution issue at low throttle opening angles, i find the center 2 cylinders are rich, i put a correction in the computer for it, but that is a bandaid.
    Could you do an SVS type intake, some engine seen to work better than others, Seems for allround performance the 2.5 Pro Max motors work better than the Horn engines.
    Or do 3 throtle bodies on a plenum, what ever gives the highest velocity seems to work best for allround performance.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    SVS and no ratcheting case does not make for a friendly river boat.

Edit: Charlie I remember you saying something about you made your case ratchet by changing the clutch dog? Might make SVS a decent option
    Last edited by baja200merk; 10-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my 3 litre sportmaster cases are all set up to ratchet. i definetely want to retain the common plenum for good idle quality and eventually getting the map sensor to work. i think a common plenum(or box of sorts) w/ 2 throttle bodies on it would work. i think also if i had rolled the throttle body 90 deg like the older bridgeports i wouldn't be seeing the air issue at part throttle-something to think about-but its funny that merc changed to a horizontal throttle shaft from vertical-wonder why?
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PanRonnie View Post
    Attachment 265698
    think it would look something like this
    Yep, I need to mock everything up again, tomorrow if I get some time I'll get everything unboxed and set it up. I thinkI found somebody locally to work out a set of rods for me too, but that is another battle.

The updrafts sucked up water, center horns always have had air balance issues, the down drafts are okay but there is still an issue with 1 and 2, the svs is great, save for the non ratchet issue. I have a 2.5 set up and was stuck with my back up case which is a no ratcher and like baja said it was literally an eye popper when I chopped the throttle.
    Last edited by Capt.Insane-o; 10-13-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    Could you do an SVS type intake, some engine seen to work better than others, Seems for allround performance the 2.5 Pro Max motors work better than the Horn engines.
    Or do 3 throtle bodies on a plenum, what ever gives the highest velocity seems to work best for allround performance.

Dave

Dave,

I bought one of Tony's SVS and used it on my (now sold) 3L 250 EFI and it was a great improvement over the OEM backward 4 butterfly intake. I think one of the big benefits of that intake system is a straighter flow of incoming air rather than the current top mounted T/B. I think that's where Charlie is trying to go, even and straight air flow............

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but you still lack a common plenum which helps low and mid range torque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    but you still lack a common plenum which helps low and mid range torque
    True Charlie, but I'm just making reference in a stk OEM 4 blade then a swap to SVS. 100% that an air box/plenum would be a big plus using front mounted 2 or 3 T/B's. I guess somebody is gonna have to start designing a longer (FWD) pan and cowl so we can get a decent size plenum in there..........Hey Mike Nass, you listening to all this..........LOL.

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    definetely on a laser injected style engine an svs would make for a dramatic improvement. the next plenum i build will be a clean sheet design, and i should be able to build a larger plenum because i don't have to worry about the velocity stack part of the horn. i do have a couple of throttle bodies here off a 4.6 mustang, but i haven't measured them yet to see what the size is- don't want to overdo it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a MAD EFI 3 horn intake that I so much wanted to mod up by cutting most of the air horns off in order to gain clearence for moving it forward by putting a plenum chamber in between. The MAD intake made some awesome power but it just wasn't very user friendly at idle.

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about building some torque into it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gm3.8ltr_intake_a.JPG   gm3.8ltr_intake_b.JPG   gm3.8ltr_intake_c.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would surely add some torque value, nice long runners in a compact set up.......

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you aint kidding there, remember the old gm tpi engines, built great torque but were done by 4500 rpm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Charlie, its a shame you can't have it all in one package, ya either give up the low end to make HP on the big end or vise versa.

I'm work'n on putting a couple "Knock Sensor" on the motor @ 2 & 3 as a little added insurance. It'll be a stand alone (no interface w/PCM/ECU), but it'll let you know if your on the verge of trouble.

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberator*21 View Post
    Yeah Charlie, its a shame you can't have it all in one package, ya either give up the low end to make HP on the big end or vise versa.

I'm work'n on putting a couple "Knock Sensor" on the motor @ 2 & 3 as a little added insurance. It'll be a stand alone (no interface w/PCM/ECU), but it'll let you know if your on the verge of trouble.
    any particular system
    this is one i currently am looking at
    but i just don,t know
    http://www.phormula.co.uk/KnockMonitor-KS-4.aspx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WebBrochure.pdf  

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast