On my 2005 60/40 Merc outboard jet the other day I greased the bearing after being out on the river fishing. Alot of water came out the grease hose and it never had done this before. It always had just good grease come out when I gave the fitting a few pump of grease. I disassembled the jet pump unit and found the water pump housing base gasket had a tear/piece missing right where it would let water go down the shaft into the bearing carrier thru the upper seal I think all I need to do is replaced the water pump gasket as the seals I feel are still good and the bearing feels tight and smooth. It had no prior indication of water getting into the bearing grease. The grease has always been a nice tan color not grey like the bearing has wear.

What do you guys think? Just go with a new gasket for now and see if that fixes the problem. I've use the motor alot in shallow water streams alot but never sucked alot of gravel and sand thru it. Water pump impeller and jet impeller and liner are in great shape.