Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

motor choices

I'm stuck replacing my 1998 150 ficht with only 137 hours on it. The boat is a 1998 Glastron csx 18 carlson edition that the family loves and we have never seen another one like it. As of now I'm dedating between an etec 150HO or etec 175 but can't seem to get good info on the differance between the 2, price is about $175 more for the 175. Does anyone have data on how the 2 will differ on a runabout ? I may also consider a mercury 2 stroke.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subcool, I sold Etecs for many years, if you really talk to a Engineer he will tell ya on your application 150HO, for one HP is the same, also you get the L2 gear case (Hopefully) and that will help with higher engine heights and you will get the required Cool HO decals......those motors typically produce 175-182hp on the dyno, a 150 Etec is a very strong motor, then get your self a Nice New Mercury Propeller with BRP hub kit, stiffer and better than the BRP props of today, your old prop may work but your RPMs may be different than the FICHT.....any Questions shoot me a call. 847-450-4011

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would tend to agree about the 150HO if you are committed to BRP. I have a 2009 175 ETEC on a 17'9" Hydrostream and it is not what I would call a strong motor. I would very much like to know what it's real hp output is. As I posted in the PROP section, it won't spin a 26 Raker II over 5200 rpm. My old 140, a 1986 V4 Looper spun my rehubbed 28" Chopper up to 6000. So if you want some top end and might raise your motor a bit on the transom, go for the lower unit on the HO