Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my .02 cents, but a 21' tunnel with twin 500 pound ANYTHING motors hanging off the transom is going to be an ill handling, dangerous rig. In building my 23 MTR, I stayed with the 2.5XS/ROSs because they were 65 pounds apiece lighter than the 300 Optis (and 5" shorter mid). I am still very aware that I will have an aft CG setup for a tunnel of this relatively short length for twins, and have mounted my batteries, stereo, fire extinguisher and cooler box forward up under the deck - as well as hung the motors on the smallest setbacks I can and still have the cowls clear the rear deck. I had a 28 Skater w/ twin 2.5/280s that I rerigged w/ twin 3.0/300s and couldn't believe the difference it made in the rough water handling capability of the boat (95 pounds more per motor than the 2.5s), and that was even with mounting my two 45 pound batteries up under the deck and the 3.0s on the transom when I did the re-rig. That was on a 28' cat, imagine how drastic the weight difference from 375 pound 2.5s to 501 pound 3.2s will be on a little 21' tunnel! Good luck with whatever you choose, but I would stay away from the big/heavy 3.0/3.2 motors on that little boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    Just my .02 cents, but a 21' tunnel with twin 500 pound ANYTHING motors hanging off the transom is going to be an ill handling, dangerous rig. In building my 23 MTR, I stayed with the 2.5XS/ROSs because they were 65 pounds apiece lighter than the 300 Optis (and 5" shorter mid). I am still very aware that I will have an aft CG setup for a tunnel of this relatively short length for twins, and have mounted my batteries, stereo, fire extinguisher and cooler box forward up under the deck - as well as hung the motors on the smallest setbacks I can and still have the cowls clear the rear deck. I had a 28 Skater w/ twin 2.5/280s that I rerigged w/ twin 3.0/300s and couldn't believe the difference it made in the rough water handling capability of the boat (95 pounds more per motor than the 2.5s), and that was even with mounting my two 45 pound batteries up under the deck and the 3.0s on the transom when I did the re-rig. That was on a 28' cat, imagine how drastic the weight difference from 375 pound 2.5s to 501 pound 3.2s will be on a little 21' tunnel! Good luck with whatever you choose, but I would stay away from the big/heavy 3.0/3.2 motors on that little boat.

Thanks for the reply. Since the 200 motors do not have warranty, I do not think I'll go that way. Based on your suggestions, it looks like twin 250's could/would be a bad plan. I do not want a boat that is a handful; so I'll either go with a single 300xs or go with I/O.

I have heard good things about the 2.5's; but at this point I'm pretty sure I want a motor package that has longer time between overhauls.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FormulaZR View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Since the 200 motors do not have warranty, I do not think I'll go that way. Based on your suggestions, it looks like twin 250's could/would be a bad plan. I do not want a boat that is a handful; so I'll either go with a single 300xs or go with I/O.

I have heard good things about the 2.5's; but at this point I'm pretty sure I want a motor package that has longer time between overhauls.
    That is a very good boat with a single ob. My friend has a real light one that has run 112 w/ a single 2.5/280 on it. As long as you don't weigh it down with a big stereo/batteries, it should run 105 -110 with a single 300XS on the back - and get great mileage doing it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the standard lay up 21 Lib runs 105+ with a single stock 300xs...... Miles of smiles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I know. I was looking for a little more than 105. Actually...105 is fine, but I want to go that fast with more weight in the boat.

Also - how much does being an open bow slow the boat down? I've heard 5 mph before...but I have no idea what that info was based on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your 100% right when you say 2.5's on 15"mids will out handle 3.0l's. That's pure physics. I was just pointing out that if your hell bent on going the twin optimax route the highest hp they make in the 2.5 block with 5years warranty is the 175. IMO that's not gonna cut the mustard for speed.
    On the topic of the opti's and reliability and longativity, they are not without their problems over the normal efi engines. They tend to do compressors regularly, very hard to diagnose problems without air/fuel gauges and merc diagnostic computer, twice as many injectors to go bad, if you are unlucky enough to pop one (like I did) they are a huge job to undress and merc don't sell sleeves or over size pistons so it's a new block or best case get a sleeve from another blown power head.
    When they are running they are great, just bear in mind when things go pear shaped the old technology can be way easier/cheaper to repair.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution141 View Post
    Your 100% right when you say 2.5's on 15"mids will out handle 3.0l's. That's pure physics. I was just pointing out that if your hell bent on going the twin optimax route the highest hp they make in the 2.5 block with 5years warranty is the 175. IMO that's not gonna cut the mustard for speed.
    On the topic of the opti's and reliability and longativity, they are not without their problems over the normal efi engines. They tend to do compressors regularly, very hard to diagnose problems without air/fuel gauges and merc diagnostic computer, twice as many injectors to go bad, if you are unlucky enough to pop one (like I did) they are a huge job to undress and merc don't sell sleeves or over size pistons so it's a new block or best case get a sleeve from another blown power head.
    When they are running they are great, just bear in mind when things go pear shaped the old technology can be way easier/cheaper to repair.
    No arguments from me on everything you have just stated. I'm only saying that a 21' tunnel is too small to hang 1,000 pounds off the transom. Funny you bring up the 175 Opti - that's what I repowered my 24' patio boat with because it was the highest hp Opti available with the 2.5. Just sold it last weekend, but I got 6 years of trouble free service out of it. I only had my 300XS for one season (45 hours) and didn't have any problems - except for a locked up gearcase due to water intrusion (typical of the 3.0/3.2 Sportmaster). In getting back to the topic of the op, you really should look into a larger boat for what you're looking for (100+ with 4 people in the boat w/ Opti power). I had the same prerequisite when I decided to build my "daily driver" 23MTR - except I was willing to deal with the "No Warranty" 2.5/200XS/ROS motors.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No arguments from me on everything you have just stated. I'm only saying that a 21' tunnel is too small to hang 1,000 pounds off the transom. Funny you bring up the 175 Opti - that's what I repowered my 24' patio boat with because it was the highest hp Opti available with the 2.5. Just sold it last weekend, but I got 6 years of trouble free service out of it. I only had my 300XS for one season (45 hours) and didn't have any problems - except for a locked up gearcase due to water intrusion (typical of the 3.0/3.2 Sportmaster). In getting back to the topic of the op, you really should look into a larger boat for what you're looking for (100+ with 4 people in the boat w/ Opti power). I had the same prerequisite when I decided to build my "daily driver" 23MTR - except I was willing to deal with the "No Warranty" 2.5/200XS/ROS motors.
    Noted.

I spoke with Dave @ Liberator and he strongly suggested I stay with a motor from Mercury Racing as he didn't feel like the lower unit on the Mercury Marine Pro XS's would be a good choice. I got the 200 ROS quoted quite a bit cheaper than was said earlier in the thread. He also agreed that twin 250XS's was not a good option overall. I will either go LSx I/O power, single 300XS, or twin 200 ROS (if I decide to live w/o warranty).

I also realize the newer the motor, the more of a pain they are when things aren't working right. But...I've seen a few 300X boats, and don't think I'd be happy with the smoke or fuel consumption.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FormulaZR View Post
    Noted.

I spoke with Dave @ Liberator and he strongly suggested I stay with a motor from Mercury Racing as he didn't feel like the lower unit on the Mercury Marine Pro XS's would be a good choice. I got the 200 ROS quoted quite a bit cheaper than was said earlier in the thread. He also agreed that twin 250XS's was not a good option overall. I will either go LSx I/O power, single 300XS, or twin 200 ROS (if I decide to live w/o warranty).

I also realize the newer the motor, the more of a pain they are when things aren't working right. But...I've seen a few 300X boats, and don't think I'd be happy with the smoke or fuel consumption.
    Sounds like Dave is willing to not make money on the motors just to get you in a new boat - which is a great thing for you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Dave is willing to not make money on the motors just to get you in a new boat - which is a great thing for you!
    You're right...I have an opportunity to get a great boat at a great price with Dave. I will put pictures of it up if I get it - whether it's I/O or O/B. It won't be like any other Liberator seen before...
    Last edited by FormulaZR; 07-30-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2