Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marinemachine with capilano 1275v

I have one unbalanced marine machine ram connected to a 1275v capilano helm. The helm have just been bought and doesnt need servicing. I have purged the system and the motor is rock solid but so is the steering when turning right (closing the piston).

Turning left steering is fine, and easy and comfortable to turn. Adjusting the settings to increase turns doesnt seem to do any difference either.

I noted that when turning full lock to the right, the oil rises in the filling container; the helm also takes back all the oil when turning full lock to the left. No bubbles are noted when turning lock to lock whatsoever. If the extra oil is removed, the helm pumps air in the system when turning left resulting in the outboard to move freely for about 2 inches on the ram.

Alternativley, I have connected a 1.5 meter pipe to the fill plug to act as a reservior. This temporarily solves my problem as the oil is ejected to the pipe when the piston is closed and then sucked back in when turning back. However steering to right is super hard and requires two hands of effort.

Do you have any idea what the issue could be, does the helm have any settings to release pressure from the valves due to this heavy unbalancing in my system?

I have repeated purging and filling for a number of times still I have no luck yet!

Thanks for your help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anyone encountered this issue?
    cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure that the helm works with unbalanced cylinder?

(With Seastar helms, the regular helms work, but the Pro helms don't)
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tks for your reply!

How come, I know a couple of boats with the same setup, different brands.. all unbalanced and they work fine!

I thought the helm has an inbuilt pressure relief valve, to relief pressure in such situations... guess I'm wrong?!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn't be a problem, there's a few guys here that run a 1275 with an unbalanced single ram. I'd have the helm checked, could be a sticking valve even though it's new

Phantom 19G-R - E-TEC 115HO
    www.facebook.com/slayeroffshore

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    did you turn the motor so the ram is all the way in and than fill the helm? Not sure about the capilano but thats what you do with the teleflex. That way when the ram is all the way out the fluid level in the helm drops. Im thinking you have to much fluid and are forcing it past the valves. JMO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tks for your feedback!

@ mariawhitetrash - seller promised me the helm is in great condition and hardly used. Although still possible I doubt it.

@ vnemous - you are correct. The system takes less fluid with the RAM all the way in. In fact oil rises in the filling container, then goes back in when turned all the way out.

However, if the extra fluid is removed from the system, the helm seems to be pumping air and the motor will start to move freely for approx 2 inches on the RAM.

The difference in fluid between all in and all out is about 200ml

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi deguara,

Just curious about how this finally worked out for you. I'm struggling with the exact same thing, using the 1275V along with a mayfair 9' stroke cylinder. Feels like the helm locks up when pushing the cylinder rod in.
    Best regards
    Christian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

workaround

hello, i didnt solve the problem but worked around it.

the issue here is due to unbalancing of the system, this is even worse when you have a huge sidemount piston with a thick rod connecting the plate as more oil is pumped in when contracting the piston.

what i did is a flexible soft plastic hose pipe of around 2m connected with a jubilee clip to the filling bold on the helm. when the piston is all in, oil rises in the flexible pipe (you have to measure the hose to make sure it takes the oil level), and when its all out the pipe is drained by gravity and suction and the helm continues to push oil to the piston. Once the hose is empty, close the end and coil it loosely over the helm with some cable ties. Fit in the helm.

this worked for over 3 years, you will still end up with one side which is harder to push but atleast its a cheap fix. alternatively you either have to do another piston (1 on each side) to balance themselves out or changed the helm to a different one.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Sjefen View Post
    Hi deguara,

Just curious about how this finally worked out for you. I'm struggling with the exact same thing, using the 1275V along with a mayfair 9' stroke cylinder. Feels like the helm locks up when pushing the cylinder rod in.