Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22 velocity

just wondering when i set the motor up on a 22 velocity do i line the prop shaft up with the bottom of the pad or bottom of the boat lets assume i have about 6" of set back on the motor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing you need to do if converting from I/O to O/B is to figure how far for ward your tank is.I believe the I/O tanks is further forward,so you will have to move it back or you wont be able to get the nose up.Id say 10"s is probably better then 6"s as far as setting it back.The newer hulls came with about 3"s more built in set back then the older ones.Seeing yours wont have the to start with id just go with 10"s.The tank on a outboard is usualy mounted around 10"s forward of the transom.You will have to build knee braces as well,id say go overkill on those when you do build them.The ones in our 98 were fairly small to start out with.Ive been redoing the back of our boat as well as building a cooler in front of the tank.Thats how I have this info readily available.Pm your email and I can send you some pics so you can get a idea of what your looking at.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey thanks for the helpful info any pics you have would be great as i am not looking to have the fastest 22 i am not sure the effort of moving the tank is worth it?
    i have been concerned with what it is going to take to get the motor high enough to trailer with the full transom with out going with too much setback i would like to use a 6" hydro jack plate with a 25" mid motor
    Gene B usedboatpartsonline.com@comcast.net

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do a search, there is a great V22 setup thread with TONS of info. With the notch in the transom and a low water pickup type gearcase, you should be able to be in line with the bottom, possibly slightly above....
    1983 Shadow 21, Yamaha 250 HPDI
    1961 Grumman 13, Johnson 15, "Gunkhole"
    1931 Hacker Hydro, Phantom 75
    1930 Sea Lyon 28, Scripps 208, "Tomahawk"
    1929 Chris Craft 24, Chrysler 115, "Reflection"

Flickr
    Facebook

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really want to keep the full transom thats where the challenge is how much setback not to kill the handling but to give me room to tilt the motor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without gettting the tank in the right place I dont think its worth doing the swap.The boat will never be right if the tank isnt somewhere neer it should be.If the tank remains far forward you would have to run much more then 6"s of set back to get it right.How far forward of the transome is the tank right now?I understand you want to keep the full transom that realy isnt that big of a issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe you are right and i need to move the tank or am i better off using a 12" setback so the engine will have some room to tilt forward?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im going to sent you pics in a minute.Nope getting the tank right is a priority.If its not somewhere neer where it should be you could run 20"s and not have it right.Making the bulk heads isnt that tuff you simply need to cut the middle section of the floor out abouve the tank.First thing id do is run and check roughly where its a now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dependinng on tank location, you could leave it and use more setback to balance the boat, 6" isnt enuff on full transom, 10 works, 12 is better because you need room for rigging tube..... Just liek i told you in one of your previous posts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would imagine his tank is close to a foot further froward then the outboard models.If its that much it has to be moved back.Thats roughly 400lbs forward and It wont matter what set back you run it wont be right.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeylarge View Post
    Dependinng on tank location, you could leave it and use more setback to balance the boat, 6" isnt enuff on full transom, 10 works, 12 is better because you need room for rigging tube..... Just liek i told you in one of your previous posts
    sorry mikey no disrespect intended just trying to get more than 1 opinion on this before i start drilling holes and maybe we are on to something if i move the tank back it will give me better access to the bow right now the tank is 38' from the transom and looks to be over 6' long

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sent you a few pics of where mine is.Ive had mine tore up changeing a few things so these pics are a bit old when it was in its rough stage still.It does look like yours is 2ft forward of where the O/B version is.So that will need to be changed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pm'd you my number,just give me a call itll be alot easier to explain.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmt73 View Post
    I would imagine his tank is close to a foot further froward then the outboard models.If its that much it has to be moved back.Thats roughly 400lbs forward and It wont matter what set back you run it wont be right.
    If he is not looking to break speed records, and doesnt want to do the extra work he could leave it, depending on how the front of his boat is setup, my old 22 velocity the tank could have been a foot further and still hung nicely becaue the bow was bare inside.........