Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hands (foots?) down THE best foot throttle controller ever

Ok, what is the absolute best, smoothest operating, longest lasting, highest quality foot control there is? I am looking for something with sealed bearings in it that does not catch/bind/squeak/stick/get ugly/get crunchy/wear out. This is excludes the main cable of course, that is a whole other piece of the puzzle. I am looking for something that operates as smooth as an automobile throttle and does not feel like metal on metal grinding when I push on it.

I think ultimately, a fly-by-wire foot control would be the answer, but I am not finding any such thing so far. I am not talking about give and take, sacrificing strength for weight, or smoothness for looks. Although if it looked good too that would be a huge bonus.

If I can't buy one, I am probably going to have to have one custom made but first I am going to see if mine can be retrofitted with bearings or something. I am not a very patient person so I am hoping something exists that I can just buy outright. What have you got?

If fly by wire is not an option immediately, who makes the slickest, most awesome smooth operating cables? Also, is there such a thing as a cable with a lubricating port on it because that would be a bonus I think.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Control.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second In Control. I love mine.
    The Reverend, (Cedar Machine Service on Facebook)
    1989 HST 2.5 260 Merc Offshore
    1991 Vaserette YT 200 Mercury
    1988 Venus XT 200 Yamaha
    1983 Viper II Merc 90
    1977 Viper
    Mini GT tunnel, 25 Merc
    "African Queen" pontoon 25 Merc
    Aluma fishin tub, 20 motors to choose from!

GUESS WHAT?...I gotta fever,...and the only prescription...IS MORE COWBELL!!

I live in Prineville Oregon which is in the central part of the state
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Control is the Mercedes of foot throttles. Their quality is fantastic and operation is butter smooth and quiet.

Carter Powell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have in-control with twin setup, one side binds and the other side is smooth. overall I like the foot pedal. I have had others, but the the in-control appears to have the most potential.

Long term I will fabricate a throttle by wire system. In the mean time I will re-design the way my in-control works. I don't like the pulley setup on the foot throttle and I don't like the compression spring at the motor, it binds unless the cable housing is perfectly aligned. I will re-rig it so the cable is a straight pull at the foot and incorporate a return spring at the motor that is more like a traditional throttle.

anyway my 2 cents.
    Last edited by jpf091959; 01-13-2014 at 11:36 PM.

6. Likes jmatak9 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hands down "In-Control" is the best. Chances are if you're having trouble with one it's set up wrong.

Never seen any trouble with any of them and I've seen and dealt with alot of them.

Can't speak to the new "N-Control" ones.
    Last edited by Onetime; 01-14-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last 3 boats have had In-Control throttles and shifters cuz they're the best .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Owen View Post
    In-Control throttles and shifters cuz they're the best .
    DITTO, that! Nothing like them!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`m on my third in-control with as many boats and i`m overall happy. However the one i have now keeps jumping the small wheels out of their track. It still works like that but it ain`t right. Not sure how to fix it but i`m thinking about new tracks with taller sides made from aluminum.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm gotta speak up here only because I bought one for my boat (because of all the great talk about them), BUT...... wasn't very happy with it. First of all please understand, I'm an Retired Engineer who designed Jet Engine components for over 30 years at GE and looked at the In-Control throttle accordingly)...............

It uses nylon rollers from Home Depot for a kitchen drawer.....seriously !!!!!!, this is where I said "NO FREAK'N WAY !!!!!

So here's my take on the whole deal:

The engine end of the cable attachment link is comprised of 3 pieces that are epoxied together, that's a poor design, the spring housing is also made up of 2 pieces, brass and plastic that are pinched pricked together, no total containment of the rollers in case of something came loose causing a misalignment that would jam up the control, that's not what I'd call a great product for the $$$$$ they charge, certain aspects of the design are way overkill while others are surely lacking, although the concept is great, just comes up short. There's no total containment of the roller system for alignment or safety should anything ever come loose in the 2 pc linkage and the linkage allows the rollers to come out of their tracks.

I've decided to just make what I think would be a better product for less $$$$:

I've decided to make my own version of the foot throttle using better materials everywhere throughout its design and build using superior materials as "bearing grade" Delrin/Acetal rollers twice as wide as the kitchen drawer rollers they use, 1/4" stainless axles on the rollers instead of a #10 steel screw, pedal link to the rollers will be a billet one piece custom ball milled "I" beam design roller link, far more stable and provide perfect alignment all the time vs. their 2 rail cable clamping system. I wasn't impressed with the use of Home Depot 5/16 ID nylon washers on 1/4" screws, kinda cheap and sloppy. My one piece rail has a much more user friendly and positive cable retention system, instead of clamping the cable between the 2 piece linkage on theirs, mine provides a cable track cut into the linkage rod with 3 stainless retention screws. At the engine end, my spring housing is "ONE" piece unit custom machined and my engine cable control link is also "ONE" piece design. There is "NOTHING" in my design that will corrode or rust in a marine environment, they can't say that about theirs. I also use custom made Delrin washers throughout not the cheap Home Depot type over sized nylon washers theirs uses. Mine also offers 3 fully adjustable pedal positions that offer a custom fit angle for you foot based on how you sit in your boat. Working on the prototype now and should be offering these for sale this fall/winter.

I already have a few S&F members lined up for the first run of controls when they become available and have told them to go over my design with a very, very critical eye and post up truthfully on what they got for their money, which by the way will be "far less" than the In-Control units. I promise that you that you "WILL" get more/better for less money spent.

Stay tuned as custom tooling is currently being made, NC programming in progress, fixtures made, anodizing tanks built etc, etc...... May offer custom color anodizing for those looking for something to match their boats design (Bling-Bling). So if you want a smooth foot control of the highest design and build, hang onto your money a little longer as I'm ramping up to make these available before spring 2015 and the money you'll save will buy you a lot of fuel to start out the season.

It will happen and be offered right here on S&F.

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

12. Likes jmatak9 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha this is really funny.. I'm a pharmaceutical engineer and I guess I look at certain things a weird way myself.. I bought this because of all the hype and couldn't believe the kitchen drawer roller either.. I remember telling my dad this as we were looking at it..I got a stainless roller with bearing from an autoclave drawer on mine..Put me on the list if you've got something coming out better

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggiestckl View Post
    Hahaha this is really funny.. I'm a pharmaceutical engineer and I guess I look at certain things a weird way myself.. I bought this because of all the hype and couldn't believe the kitchen drawer roller either.. I remember telling my dad this as we were looking at it..I got a stainless roller with bearing from an autoclave drawer on mine..Put me on the list if you've got something coming out better
    LMAO !!!!! ! Sure glad someone else see's what I see, thanks for sharing your vision as well.

I'll keep you in the loop when I get ramped up. I guaranty you, mine will be far superior and cost effective to theirs........

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When can we some pictures gary? ill put a deposit through now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberator*21 View Post
    Stay tuned as custom tooling is currently being made, NC programming in progress, fixtures made, anodizing tanks built etc, etc...... May offer custom color anodizing for those looking for something to match their boats design (Bling-Bling). So if you want a smooth foot control of the highest design and build, hang onto your money a little longer as I'm ramping up to make these available before spring 2015 and the money you'll save will buy you a lot of fuel to start out the season.

It will happen and be offered right here on S&F.

Anyone can build a foot throttle so I'm raising the bar on ya! For whatever reason the days of being able to get a dual use foot/hand "combo" throttle are gone. Land & Sea had a model back before I was born, In Control (before it shut down) when it was actually in Mass had one and the picture below is Wildmans install of it, and then there is a race vendor in Europe who claims to have one but never returns any requests for a price.

As the Eagles said, "take it to the limit" .............build the worlds best marine combo throttle AND design it to work with Merc, BRP and Yammy wackers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Land&SeaComboThrottle.jpg   InControlDualHandFootThrottle1200.png   SjobergRacingHandFootComboThrottle.png  
    Last edited by Greg G; 08-15-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.grover View Post
    When can we some pictures gary? ill put a deposit through now
    Sneak pics coming shortly Rick. No up front $$$ needed, your on the list. I'll be in touch when I start going into production mode, still got some loose end to finish on the Proto-type and get the Anodizing line set up.

Gary

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast