Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

300xs vs 300pro verado

Over my xs and see the 300pro verado isn't a merc racing product hence it comes with 5 years warranty. How do you think it would go on my boat? Anyone out there done a direct swap on same hull?
    my boat is 21'Revolution (ski race boat). Weighs approx 1200lbs before fit out. Run mostly rough open water ski races but use tabs and ballast generously so engine works hard. Having said that top end speed is very important once the water calms off.
    best with 300xs was 83mph boat alone, 77mph with skier. Best prop hands down is 26 fury.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful they have a 5 year recreational warranty I am sure that if you race it you may have some problems.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercury racing wont warranty their motors in a race either.
    rediculous when you think about it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iirc the verado is over 100 lbs heavier than the opti

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    iirc the verado is over 100 lbs heavier than the opti
    I know the Mathis on weight vs hp don't add up but super charger throws a big curve ball. I have a friend with a similar hull, slightly heavier, he used to run a 300x (technically 330hp). He just swapped to a 350 verado and gained 10mph! That's massive. I guess the theory is the verado has more torque than xs and super charger can unsure peak power and torque at a wide range of loads and rpm. 300xs makes peak power at approx 6100rpm. Load the opti, or unload it and wander either side of that sweet spot and you lose hp.
    My thinking is the verados have the ability to Cary their own weight plus sum with the extra torque.
    Im only guessing verados make more torque than xs as its the verados big selling point, huge torque. Does anyone actually know the numbers, I've searched everywhere on line and can't find them?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that the Aussie ski racers were getting warranty on the 300 and 250XS? in fact I am sure that is what I was told from memory it is 2 years

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1050 View Post
    I thought that the Aussie ski racers were getting warranty on the 300 and 250XS? in fact I am sure that is what I was told from memory it is 2 years
    I think you will find that isn't an official mercury thing. See a lot of the engines sold to ski racers are sold by mercury dealers whom are heavily involved themselves in the sport. I think if something goes wrong under warranty the individual shops are pushing the claims through. When you compare what an opti goes through on a light weight ski boat compared to a large heavy fishing boat the fact that the light boats are "racing" is a cop out that mercury use to get out of warranty. If the shops selling to ski racers didn't push through the claims (in the case of the 250xs running smoc) everyone would just buy etec.
    the fact is they are not heavily modified (in fact they can't modify anything as per the rules) and the engines are designed to run at or near limiters for the most part.
    I could be wrong on the "race" warranty. I know when I purchased my motor for ski/race boat I got the same warranty papers as anyone else. My dealer however like I mentioned has been happy to replace under warranty for first 2 years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I was told on an Xtreme 'toon that a 300xs was worth about 2-3 mph over a 300 Verado. Don't know how that would relate to a faster hull design.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revolution141 I think you are wrong regarding the warranty if you google it there are several press releases from Mercury regarding Ski Race warranty for the 250XS, 250 Pro XS and the 300XS so I would say it has nothing to do with there dealers and is factory supported at least in Australia.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hp1050 View Post
    Revolution141 I think you are wrong regarding the warranty if you google it there are several press releases from Mercury regarding Ski Race warranty for the 250XS, 250 Pro XS and the 300XS so I would say it has nothing to do with there dealers and is factory supported at least in Australia.
    As I said I could be wrong. Have been before. I just know I got nothing when I bought mine in 09'. My warranty says 2 years for recreational purposes only. I'm just going off what I got in writing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)