Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up bad gas or something else?

I have a 2000 optimax 200hp that I just got with a boat. It had been sitting for about a year. Last weekend it ran perfect on the hose. This weekend I put seafoam in it and went to the ramp. It would try to start but would die. After trying for a bit I gave up and towed it home. At home I got the same thing. It started 3 times and would run above idle but that was it. I pulled the filter and the gas smelled bad. I can't seem to get the bad gas out. Any idea on how? Why would it run so good on the old gas before and now not at all that I filled the tank?

Thanks for any help.
    Jon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure that it's probably a fuel issue. How much was in the tank before you topped it off?
    Drive it like you stole it!

1991 Allison GSE 1998 225 ProMax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One tank empt now full, the other tank was maybe 1/4 full. I got it running a few times for a while in hopes to get the bad gas out but it still smells not right. I am going to try a pony tank today and see what is up and make sure the fuel pump is running... Any other ideas I am open ears, especialyy on how to get the stale fuel out of the rails and so on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Hemi, bad fuel. Also if the tank(s) were/are lacqured up the new fuel you put in the tank is now contaminated. IMO all fuel needs to be pumped out. The rail and injectors probably need a good cleaning as well and all fuel lines flushed and a new filter/water separator. You don't mention what kind of boat so don't know if the tanks are removable or not. You can use the fuel pump to pump the fuel out if you don't have a remote pump. But most lowes/home depot or hardware stores sell a drill driven portable pump.
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HStream1 View Post
    I agree with Hemi, bad fuel. Also if the tank(s) were/are lacqured up the new fuel you put in the tank is now contaminated. IMO all fuel needs to be pumped out. The rail and injectors probably need a good cleaning as well and all fuel lines flushed and a new filter/water separator. You don't mention what kind of boat so don't know if the tanks are removable or not. You can use the fuel pump to pump the fuel out if you don't have a remote pump. But most lowes/home depot or hardware stores sell a drill driven portable pump.
    It turned out to be a bad ground connection at the battery and I also found a smaller 1000CCA battery that would fit. I put a new end on the cable and the new battery and it started up nice. I also found a loope in the fuel line that made it hard to prime the bulb on the fuel line. Thank god for simple solutions!