Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mods for 2002 9.9 Mercury 2 stroke that won't blow it up!

First off hi all, new to here, and just looking for motor to be tip top! I so far have installed boyessen power reeds and love them, idles so much better and revs quicker. I installed a simple small tach, hour meter, still trying to figure out how to get proper readings and settings on that. Is there anything I can do to my exhaust that will give it more power without harm? Or what else short of a 15hp carb mod I have heard of? Thanks in advance!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best bang for the buck is a 15 carb. WMC 39 (or 49 for the newer version), and matching jet. 15 = .066(.072). 9.9 = .052(.048). The 15 carb throat is way bigger than a 9.9 carb, its not only the main jet that makes the difference........you have to swap out the whole carb. Bolt it on and enjoy an extra 5 or so hp. Also the exhaust tube under the powerhead is slightly larger in diam. only about 1/8" bigger in the 15..........will not make a noticable difference, just leave the 9.9 exhaust tube, swap the carb and enjoy the new power. You may have to go up a prop size to take full advantage of the new HP increase! 9 pitch for the 9.9 vs 10.5 pitch for the 15.
    HTH, good luck.........there are no shortcuts, you need to find a 15 carb! (need your serial number for the right parts).
    b0atguy
    Last edited by b0atguy; 06-11-2012 at 07:00 PM.

1986 Hydrostream Vegas XT
    Mercury Bridgeport EFI
    Brucato ACU
    CCM Drag Reeds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great news, I'll get serial number, What experience have you had with Boyessen power reeds?