Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1979 checlmate eluder w 1979 merc 175

currrent owner said a plug blew out of the plug hole. said boat only needs a new head. what causes a plug to blow out of the head? ive been told because it was cross threaded. looking at buying this old mate floor and transom are solid. ive got a pic of the motor tell me how the cylinder and cylinder walls look to yall. thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg952 (1).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	257008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can repair the bad hole in the head for under $30.00. 850-769-9391 or eaglewon@bellsouth.net
    www.eagleoneperformance.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant tell much from that picture only that the top of the piston looks pretty crusty.

------------'82 Vector - Mercury 2.4 Bridgeport "MOD"
    "Life is short - Get there fast...MERCURY"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats the best motor pic dude gave me. sooo crusty? supposedly the motor was rebuilt 3 yrs ago. by looking at the top piston does that seem to be a lie about the rebuild? thanks for the help

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily a lie about anything. A rebuild 3 years ago could have a lot of time on it. It's not going to stay looking like a new rebuild just because it was rebuilt 3 years ago Type of oil and fuel would make a difference and if the head gasket was leaking ANY water into the cylinder it could result in both the added deposits and even "hydraulicing" the plug out of the hole. When you buy something USED, you need to know what to look for besides an excuse to blame the seller. Or get someone else that does know to look for you. Not saying that derrogatorily, but it seems today most people ( especially younger novices) try to look for an excuse to blame their problems on someone else instead of themselves because of their lack of knowledge or failure to properly examine what they bought before they bought it. Don't know a thing about your transaction but if the engine has had a plug blown out and you know it, you need to look to see why BEFORE you buy it. No intent to try to start a pissing contest at all just stating it like it usually is. If you buy the rig at a low enough price it may still be a good deal for you. The old boat could be restored. I did a 1979 Skater a while back and you couldn't tell it wasn't new although it wasn't cost effective..(Had over 10,000.00 in a boat worth about 1/3 that by book value at best.).The plug hole can be repaired easily enough and if the piston and cylinder are ok, it's an easy fix. Might take no more than a head gasket and fixing the spark plug hole...Think about the age of the engine as well .1979.. It's over 30 years old to begin with. That's a little old... One of my friends mother told me this back when I was 11 years old and it makes good sense "LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP" !!!!
    Last edited by Eagle One; 06-09-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not blaming anything on anybody i was asking if anybody (hoping somebody who knew what to look for) could tell anything from the pic. so since weve established what im asking for from this site and its more knowledgable members, can you or anybody tell from the pic? Say i do go look at the boat, what can i look for to ensure no major problems? if water was leaking into the cylinder it should show signs of rust right? could i examine the head and gaskey for any evidence or anything? i admit all day long that i dont know how to properly examine the motor, please feel free to slide some tips on over my way. SCHOOL ME

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn the engine over moving the piston down and look for signs of rust in the cylinder. If it won't turn over it's likley in need of a lot of repair. Look closely at the head and head gasket where the metal ring on the cylinder seal ring makes contact and see if you can see an area where the color is drastically different or part of it has blown out and missing. Look at the head and see if the surface is smooth and has no pecked up marks like something got into the cylinder. TAKE SOME GOOD CLOSE UP PHOTOS and post them here. Even then the engine is not worth a lot due to it's age.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first generation v6 mercury bolts had a history of cylinder distortion because the head bolt boss's were connected to the sleeve they also dont seal up as well as the next generation of v6 motors i have a 1977 175 hanging on my engine rack never been apart same deal on the style i wont spend a dime on it" it as is" who ever wants it. i took a 200 in trade a few years ago that was the same deal only it was a chrome bore with hardly no wear on it i had a very hard time getting heads to seal up even with new head gaskets