Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Set up for Checkmate 185 Pulse

I have a Checkmate pulse185 with almost new 280 2.5 efi. I have 11 inches of set back and cmc hydrolic jack -plate which is set to run as high as 1/2" below the pad. I have tried several props and I have found A 24 inch lightning ET to give me the best top speed which is 85 mph GPS at 7500 rpm. I have tried a 25 inch tempest but could only get 83 at 7000 rpm and it seemed that I needed too much tilt to get it to rev. The boat is stable with no chine walk but to get speed I am needing to much tilt and it gets a little squirrely. Do I need more set back ? the bottom seems straight with no hooks ? I feel this boat should be able to flirt with 90 and turn 26 inches of prop. When blue printing the bottom, How sharp is sharp and How straigth is straight. Does any one out there have experience setting up this boat?
    Last edited by Charles Deckas; 12-20-2002 at 04:00 PM.
    C-mate 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Height

Why is your jackplate only setup to go up to 1/2" below the pad? It's sounds like you need to go higher. Usually they have about 6" of travel and should be setup to go 4" below and 2" above the pad. You should get your propshaft 1/2" above the pad and go from there.

------------'82 Vector - Mercury 2.4 Bridgeport "MOD"
    "Life is short - Get there fast...MERCURY"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you have an actualy pad or just the little flat part at the bottom of the Vee??
    Don't lick my boat, It makes it sticky!

Another Hitman for the Sunshine Syndicate!!

2011 Seafox Viper

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack plate and Pad on Checkmate Pulse185

The jack plate and motor are mounted one notch from their highest point, which would give me another inch if I re mounted the motor. I did remount the motor about a week ago to move it up bout 1/2 inch above the pad, but the water is a little hard in Minnesota, so I won't be able to test it for a few months. As for the pad, it is 6 inches wide and flat but it is beveled at a 45 degree angle for about 1/2 inch at the very back to , I assume prevent chipping. Should I square this off and make it a sharp 90 degree angle ?
    Last edited by Charles Deckas; 12-20-2002 at 11:35 PM.
    C-mate 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your not kidding when you say the water is a bit hard...LOL
    When it softens up a bit I have a 25 Trophy for you to try. It is the best thing I have found for mine and I would love to try your Tempest.
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey bb

just remind him about having a water temp gauge and pressure gauge!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bulldogdaddy

Thats 2 things you dont want to leave home without. Them motors are expensive
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

water pressure guage

Yea I have a water pressure guage, wouldn't leave home without one. While running 1/2 inch above the pad I always had good pressure. As I move the motor up, I will be watching it closely. I did borrow a 24inch trophy last summer and had fab hole shot and the boat handled great but only turned 7300 rpm at 82mph- it was a great all around prop.How well does a G-force tuner work on the 2.5 and is the expense worth the gain for th SVS on my motor. Right now it is box stock.
    Last edited by Charles Deckas; 12-22-2002 at 02:59 PM.
    C-mate 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charles

What year,length,weight and type of boat is your Checkmate. Do you have any picks?And can you take any of the pad?
    My Baja wth motor weighs 2000 pounds. But now that I removed 80 pounds of water logged foam its at 1920...LOL
    I will have to Glass in new wood so it will bring it up to 1950 for sure. And after seeing the extra room I have now,I might as well buy a big amp and subs So there goes the weight loss
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reply to Barefoot Bob

The Checkmate is 18 1/2 feet long and weighs according to Checkmate, 1450 pounds, dry . I would guess the weight rigged is close to 2000 pounds. I bought the boat new five years ago and it never is left in the water other than when I use it, so I assume that it is dry. It is an open bow but I almost always have it covered with a custom canvas top. That makes a huge difference in top speed about 4 to 5 mph . I don't have a picture of the pad but I will take one and post it.
    I used to run a 175 merc efi with a nose cone, 6 inches of set back, Jack plate set to run about 1 inch below the pad, a 24 inch tempest prop with a 200 hp exhaust tuner and relieved exhaust. It ran 70 mph on radar at 6200 rpm but I had to go way up on the power tilt to get it to go 70 . Thats why I felt I needed more set back and I was correct , it did handle much better with more set back. After 4 years with that motor I needed more speed , hence last year I bought the new 2.5 efi putting out 280 hp. There certainly is a difference in the fun factor.
    Last edited by Charles Deckas; 12-22-2002 at 06:47 PM.
    C-mate 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, what do you have on it for power now. It looks like we are running about the same rigs. The book said dry weight on mine is 1200 pounds. My Pro Max has had some work done to it and puts out about 145 to 155 HP. I am running 9" setback
    Allison XB2002/260 SS

umpba.org

riversidegarage.com