Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john4utvols View Post
    It is buried he has no low water pick-up. So it is at least 5" below the pad
    A lot of guys including me run them high by closing off 3 intake holes on a Merc and one on an OMC. That sure isnt 5 inches. Still think he isnt running on all six.
    Last edited by BigJohnson; 05-10-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnson View Post
    A lot of guys including me run them high by closing off 3 intake holes on a Merc and one on an OMC. That sure isnt 5 inches. Still think he isnt running on all six.
    I'm not sure about a Johnson lower unit but a mercury water intake is 3'' to 6.5'' form even with the pad. If this is your first Allison I would first check the prop shaft with the pad to see how far below you are. And like Big Johnson said have someone check to make sure your running on all 6 or you can do it your self by checking the spark. I have owned 8 Allison's and would never run one without a low water pickup not saying you can't do it but I wouldn't.

What color is your Venom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fenwayfear View Post
    I am a fairly new owner of an Allison XB2003PTS. Here are the specs that I am currently running.

Motor - 1999 Johnson Venom 200 hp stock w/stock lower unit(not coned).
    Jackplate - Allison stardard jackplate not sure size
    prop - renegade bass prop 14.5 x 25(i think) also have a 28 or 30 pitch prop but could only turn 4500 rpms with it.
    speed - 57 gps at 5000 rpms

What should i do differt to get the 80+ speed everyone else is getting. Motor is strong and compression test are good(120ish on all 6 holes).
    Is this boat Tan and Burgandy , and did it come out of Florida ? There was one here in Sanford for sale a few years ago , that went to St. Cloud for awhile that had this same set up . Just Currious !

Rich Martin 018
    HAVE BATTERIES , WILL TRAVEL !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would point to it not firing on all cylinders? RPM...etc.
    Sounds like it is down on power. It could be running fine at idle but missing at higher RPMs.

The Renegade is not a good prop for an Allison IMO. I ran one on my Allison for the heck out of it and I hated it. Maybe good for a large heavy bass boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john4utvols View Post
    I'm not sure about a Johnson lower unit but a mercury water intake is 3'' to 6.5'' form even with the pad. If this is your first Allison I would first check the prop shaft with the pad to see how far below you are. And like Big Johnson said have someone check to make sure your running on all 6 or you can do it your self by checking the spark. I have owned 8 Allison's and would never run one without a low water pickup not saying you can't do it but I wouldn't.

What color is your Venom
    Guess I was assuming since he had a jack he was running it high enough wide open to start losing some water pressure. Maybe it isnt mounted so he can. 8 Allisons! I hope to get a ride in one soon. A friend of mine just bought one. They are nice!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnson View Post
    8 Allisons! I hope to get a ride in one soon. A friend of mine just bought one. They are nice!
    Yes I have a problem......I have tried going with another boat but for some reason I keep going back to Allison's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the how far i am below the pad. Did not measure but it is a long ways from being even. I am going to try and raise the motor this weekend and see what happens.

The boat is white and red with black tips, to the poster that asked. Just like the one in the picture

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone haven any idea how to raise the motor via the stock Allison jackplate. The JP has two bolts on each side in the grooves and one bolt on top of each side of JP. Is it as simple as turning the big nuts on top of the JP or do I have to loosen the bolts on the sides first. Do not want the motor to just fall because I did not do correctly! Right now I think it is all the way down.

What size would the stock manual Allison JP be? 10"?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked the how far i am below the pad. Did not measure but it is a long ways from being even. I am going to try and raise the motor this weekend and see what happens.

The boat is white and red with black tips, to the poster that asked. Just like the one in the picture
    It's all starting to make more sense now. It's a manual plate. A jack was put on but never really set up at all. See what happens when you assume. You make an ass out of U and me.J/K

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Anyone haven any idea how to raise the motor via the stock Allison jackplate. The JP has two bolts on each side in the grooves and one bolt on top of each side of JP. Is it as simple as turning the big nuts on top of the JP or do I have to loosen the bolts on the sides first. Do not want the motor to just fall because I did not do correctly! Right now I think it is all the way down.

What size would the stock manual Allison JP be? 10"?
    Loosen the 4 large bolts on both sides of the Jack Plate about 1 full turn . Then the bolts on top will adjust the heigth of the motor up , or down .
    Before you get started , take some measurement of both sides of the Jack plate and index it with a SHAPY so you are sure you keep it even .
    Aslo , spray all the hardware real good with some type of lubricant before you start turning any ot the bolts or nut .
    This will help prevent them from gawling and binding up . There's nothing more agravating then turning a simple job into a major project , because a stainless steal bolt binds up !!!

The Allison in my Avitar , is my old XB 2002 . That was a Fine Boat , and enjoyed many good times in it !

Rich Martin 018
    HAVE BATTERIES , WILL TRAVEL !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was you I would find some level concrete, then take a short level and level the bottom of your pad, then level your prop shaft. Then I would measure from the concrete to 3'' in front of the pad lip, then measure up to the bottom hole on your water intake. That should give you a starting point.

Just guessing I bet your so low your skeg will hit the ground when you try this.

If you dont have enough room on the adjustment part, you will need to move the motor to another hole. Do you know which hole the motor is in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is in the one hole. The four bolts on the manual JP are all the way down in the slots on both sides. Does that mean is adjusted all the way down or up? Just asking before I start messing with it. I would seem to me that the bolts being down like they are means it is all the way down and need to be raised up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is all the way down..... Just make sure you have at least 14 lbs of water pressure running wide open. I would watch my water pressure and raise it until it starts going down, you should be able to run it on the bottom two holes.

By saying one hole do you mean the top hole.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get to try it yet?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2