Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7.5 hp Gamefisher (Tecumseh) won't run over 2/3 throttle on the integral tank

A neighbor gave me this motor, it was his dad's. It's late '70s or early '80s - white cowl with black lower unit. Single cylinder Tecumseh 2-stroke. I got it running and it goes like a bat out of hell. Can't believe the guts it has for a 7.5 hp single. Anyhow, it ran perfect for about 15 minutes and then just started starving for gas above about 2/3 throttle. He told me afterward that it always did run better on a remote tank instead of the built-in tank (you can turn a valve and switch).

The tank and carb are clean, new fuel hoses, and I changed the orange rubber plunger or whatever it is that inserts in the back of the carburetor. I haven't touched the tiny diaphragm on the upper side of the carb. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with these motors and if there is any particular culprit I should be aware of before I just start buying more parts and dumping more money into a $20 motor. I'd like to get it going just as a beater to leave on the boat at the lake.
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dumpster1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	255373

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny, i was given a 9.9 gamefisher several years ago,like new . would start & run decent for around 15-20 minutes, then just quit & wouldnt restart then after pulling on the recoil till the cows came home,it ran bad & wouldnt push a 12 ft jonboat back to the dock. after dicking with it for a summer,with the same results every time, it got deposited to the dumpster. allways started & ran on the hose but once under any load it acted up .like capt showed find a better little older merc or omc for cheep, i found a 1982 evinrude 15 not running for $100. put $30. into parts & & a couple hours work & it pushes the 12 footer 26 on gps & runs like a timex.they are out there
    Last edited by gary slagle; 04-28-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An older guy brought one in last summer and asked if I could do him a favor, he did'nt want to stick much money ($20+) into his ted williams. I took it from him and threw it in the dumpster. The look on his face was priceless. I put an old 74 or 75 6 hp Johnson we had in the shop in the tank and sold it to him for $250. Happiest man I ever saw when he left. Worst ****ing motors ever.