Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel Issues

Hi Guys. have any of you guys running EPA motors had any problems with Gasoline with a high ethanol content?
    In the UK, higher ethanol contents are creeping in on the pump gas.

I think my 150HO does not like it haha.
    I am just curious what the condition of the fuel is in the US??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In Canada we have E10 in regular gas, no ethanol in high grade - mid grade is blended at the pump usually so E5.
    The government departments here have issued *EDIT - "internal"* bulletins against the use of E10 - only no ethanol fuel for anything other than automotive uses.
    I live close to the US border - some of the recreational boaters run to the US fuel pumps because it's cheaper. I've worked on a coupe of ETECs that have run the stuff. Not pretty. Seems worse for boats that stay in the colder salt water and have inboard tanks under the floor - almost seems as if the temperature changes promote phase separation of the ethanol.
    Water in the fuel filter is common - throws codes. Most now run Raycors - and drain the bowls regularly.
    One 130 ETEC wouldn't even run - not sure entirely what all happened to it before we got it at the shop. Drained the fuel, hooked it up to a known good portable tank and it still wouldn't run. It would start - sounded like a diesel. Chugged and puffed black smoke. We pulled all the injectors and pulled them apart, wicked buildup on them. Soaked them, mixed up a witches brew of fresh gas and fuel conditioner, but it ran. About 1/2 a gallon it was running decent. Two gallons, good as new. All the previous shops had said she was toast.

If you can avoid ethanol by buying higher grade fuel - do it. If you have to buy E fuel, treat it at purchase with StarTron.

My experience.

pointer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah way ahead of you on this. just confirming what i thought. many thanks for your reply. When i have sorted it i will post some findings if there is something you have not already states.

Many thanks once again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never burn ethanol fuel in your boat.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All boats should have 2 seperate fuel filters. One is already on the engine, another should be inside the boat. Fuel injectors are made of Aluminium. Water attacks aluminium so the injectors can quickly be damaged, sometimes in less than 24 hours. Most people (including dealers) blame the injector without checking if anything is inside it or damaged by corrosion damage caused by ingested water through ethanol. So guys fit an extra fuel filter (10 micron) and be vigilant. Ethanol is very very bad. Avoid it if you can in any marine application.

Always use a fuel conditioner & DO NOT leave it in your fuel tank untreated for longer than a month and be vigilant.
    Last edited by LIQUID NIRVANA; 04-24-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have the second fuel seperator on my boat. out of choice i did not run the ethanol fuel i have since found out that a supplier now uses it in some brands. had i of know i would not have bought it. luckily no major damage but at least now i know where the bast place to buy from thanks to a friend in the fuel industry. he was the one who enlightened me to the fact. onwards and upwards. now shes back on song.