Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Temp/Engine Temp Gauges

I have read allot of threads on here and a couple other sites stating the issues with the '99 Optimax 225. I am installing the 130 degree thermostats and would like to add 2 temp gauges to it. Now I already have one installed, but it does not give me a number readout and have no idea as of right now where it is hooked into the motor.

What I have found is a water temp gauges that runs from 100-260 degrees... and a Cylinder Block Temp Gauge 60-220 degrees.

Wouldn't the water temp gauge be better over the cylinder temp gauge to know when the thermostats are open and closing properly? But then I am stuck with a gauge that reads 100-260 which is kind of pointless as the needle will barely move. Any ideas on whats best to install to monitor the water temps?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend using a combination of a head temp gauge and a water pressure gauge. If you watch both closely you can tell a lot. For example if your head temp seems to be climbing and your water pressure is also increasing, it's a very good indication you have an over heating problem as steam will create more pressure and make the water pressure read higher. Thus the reasom we see a lot of blown engines with the owner stating the water pressure was well above normal. We look for a minimum of 12-16 lbs water pressure at WOT without thermostats and a poppet valve on the 60 degree V-6's and a maximum head temp of around 160 degrees.
    www.eagleoneperformance.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do plan on installing a water pressure as well as the boat does not have one. But at the point of that much pressure isn't it too late? How accurate are the head gauges in comparison to the water temp gauges? If a thermostat malfunctions.. I would be able to tell right away correct?