Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S&F, Great site and great staff!

Just wanted to comment on what a great site this is and how good of a job the administrators do. I am a member of another site ( a firearm site) and can tell you that it is a big joke! They have so many administrators or staff members that they cant even keep up with each other. They contradict each other daily and don't always seem to follow the rules they set. You have to be on your p's and q's when posting or responding to a thread. What makes these sites so great is the information you can get fom the subject at hand from all the other members who have experience in the subject at hand and share. They sometimes result in strong differing opinions which I think is healthy as long as it does not get out of hand. The other mentioned site I am a member of is lacking in this department. If the thread gets even slightly heated ( without profanity or name calling, just strong opinions) or it just happens to be a subject that one of the so many of these " staff members" disagrees with, they automatically lock the thread or just remove it all together. I have read over their rules many times and can find no rules infractions that warrant these actions, just the staff members doing as they please regardless of their own rules. Then they have the have the gall to say that the post was " childish " or " going in circles " or " going nowhere" and resulted in it being locked or removed. Greg and the other administrators do a good job of monitoring the threads on here and being fair as to when a thread should be locked or removed. And when a thread is started in the wrong forum, they usually move it to the correct forum and leave a little message that it has been moved. The other site just deletes the thread all together with no message or anything. I recently started a thread on the other site and it went for about 4 days and had over 30 post. It was concerning a name brand of firearm that probably 95% of the staff members don't like. After the 4th day, the post was gone. There was a message from the staff individual who removed the thread saying " thread removed, posted in wrong forum". I have looked at the description over and over again and according to their rules, it was in the right forum. So I sent this staff member a PM asking why it was removed and not just relocated.I told him that was a lot of post and information that was just deleted for no good reason and why did he wait so lng to remove it if it was in the wrong section. And to make matters worse, two other administrators had already posted in the thread and apparently didn't think it was in the wrong forum. He sent me a nasty little message back, saying he was sorry that I couldn't follow the forum rules which resulted in my thread being removed, and followed that up with " It's not my job to babysit the threads on this site or the people who post them ". Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that kinda what administrators and staff members and moderators do among other things? Any way, just wanted to comment on how great this site and it's staff is and the great job they do, and I guess vent a little as well! Maybe those guys should visit this site and see how it should be done.

Hydro
    86 Hydrostream Vector
    2.4 Bridgeport Offshore Centerhorn EFI

2007 Regal 2860 express cruiser

1996 Rinker 260 Fiesta Vee

Kawasaki 750 ZXI jetski

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    subscribed

I was young and bashful back then.
    Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow".
    -Bristo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in too....

Ló fasz racing
    Joe Horvath

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me three.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ....Make it 4 ....
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1995 Allison XB-2003, 225 Promax
    2002 Trans Am, pulls the boat fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me 6.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drive it like you stole it!

1991 Allison GSE 1998 225 ProMax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like being 8th or 9 th so I''LL have to say 10th.................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay i'm in! whud i miss?? where's all the action??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good site if you want an info....... Engine setup and trouble shooting, you are at the good place... JP Love you realized after 760 posts Welcome
    Go boating,be happy!! And wear safety vest please!! And lesson good music...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c5oHITTI8c

In meinem geheimen unterirdischen Versteck, USSA
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know there was a firearms section.
    .......................................................................LETS STORM THE CASTLE BOYS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea how about a firearms section I'm in . Lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hydroholic View Post
    Just wanted to comment on what a great site this is and how good of a job the administrators do. I am a member of another site ( a firearm site) and can tell you that it is a big joke! They have so many administrators or staff members that they cant even keep up with each other. They contradict each other daily and don't always seem to follow the rules they set. You have to be on your p's and q's when posting or responding to a thread. What makes these sites so great is the information you can get fom the subject at hand from all the other members who have experience in the subject at hand and share. They sometimes result in strong differing opinions which I think is healthy as long as it does not get out of hand. The other mentioned site I am a member of is lacking in this department. If the thread gets even slightly heated ( without profanity or name calling, just strong opinions) or it just happens to be a subject that one of the so many of these " staff members" disagrees with, they automatically lock the thread or just remove it all together. I have read over their rules many times and can find no rules infractions that warrant these actions, just the staff members doing as they please regardless of their own rules. Then they have the have the gall to say that the post was " childish " or " going in circles " or " going nowhere" and resulted in it being locked or removed. Greg and the other administrators do a good job of monitoring the threads on here and being fair as to when a thread should be locked or removed. And when a thread is started in the wrong forum, they usually move it to the correct forum and leave a little message that it has been moved. The other site just deletes the thread all together with no message or anything. I recently started a thread on the other site and it went for about 4 days and had over 30 post. It was concerning a name brand of firearm that probably 95% of the staff members don't like. After the 4th day, the post was gone. There was a message from the staff individual who removed the thread saying " thread removed, posted in wrong forum". I have looked at the description over and over again and according to their rules, it was in the right forum. So I sent this staff member a PM asking why it was removed and not just relocated.I told him that was a lot of post and information that was just deleted for no good reason and why did he wait so lng to remove it if it was in the wrong section. And to make matters worse, two other administrators had already posted in the thread and apparently didn't think it was in the wrong forum. He sent me a nasty little message back, saying he was sorry that I couldn't follow the forum rules which resulted in my thread being removed, and followed that up with " It's not my job to babysit the threads on this site or the people who post them ". Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that kinda what administrators and staff members and moderators do among other things? Any way, just wanted to comment on how great this site and it's staff is and the great job they do, and I guess vent a little as well! Maybe those guys should visit this site and see how it should be done.

Hydro
    Paragraphs are your friend, holy wall of text!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the post, Hydro. I'm extremely grateful you took the time to write that, and we do work very hard to keep the forum productive, enjoyable, and peaceful. My biggest worry is that the job of the moderators - especially that of Norris (Raceman) is so thankless, when he deserves more thanks than I could ever give him. I understand this is a site of nearly 60,000 members and as hard as we try, there is no way we could keep everybody happy, all the time. I know you've been a member here since the beginning, and you know that removing and locking posts is always a very last resort to us.

In those situations, there is no winning - many times people think that if we leave a post with all sorts of trouble going on, we're ignoring the issue. If we lock it, we're choosing sides. If we pull the post, we're being unfair to the post author. I would say that 80% of the time, posts that are removed by the thread authors gets blamed on us as removing them. All members have the option to remove their own threads - this site has always allowed that.

It's not easy, and Norris bears the brunt of a lot of this, day in, day out, and in many cases, all night. Thanks to him (and of course, others who help me), I've been able to focus much more of my time on working on the site itself. I'll be honest and say that sometimes when I see posts created purposely to cause trouble, it breaks my heart because while it may be fun for some people, it causes great stress to others. I understand in most cases such threads are not intended to cause problems and maybe the thread author thinks it's funny in some way, and I also understand this is the internet and things like that happen, but I hate to be put into situations where we need to moderate a thread in some way. Even worse, I hate to see moderators stressed because of it.

I'm always more than happy to devote time to helping anybody out, but I just wish some problem situations would be brought to me privately, before being posted on a thread that has a good chance of degenerating into something that's ultimately not very constructive. I want the site to move forward for everybody and continue to do what it does. Just please remember to contact me personally with any issues relating to moderation or disagreements. We try to be as fair as possible to everybody

Having said all of that, I am extremely thankful for all of the years of fun and help this site has provided everybody. Many events, a lot of boating, and stuff that helps pass the winter by have only added to my life in many ways, and I hope it's done the same for all of you - and that it will continue to do so.

Thanks again

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast