Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"where is mirage" and mirage history

Before the original "where is mirage" thread was deleted my last post was as addressing the original Mirage molds and their history.The real truth about the first Mirage.....In 1985/86 Mike Cullen and I decided to put up 50% each and hire David Lee to design and build a Mod-VP boat for the new class. We all put or 2 cents worth in about the design and David built a plug and set of molds.Brad worked during the summer college break helping David. We sold several boats the first year but need to improve. During the winter I wanted to spend some time and money to make changes but Mike didn't like the idea. He and David decided to squeeze me out. They ended up with the molds and 2 boats and I got the legal Mirage name(which I created anyway), not to mention the shaft. Back in Texas we formed a new Mirage Boats of Texas. Brad,Tom Drozd and Fred cut my Mod-VP boat up and created a new hull and deck design. They also designed the Tomcat sport-C boat and Brad won the Natls. in his first year of racing. There were ultimately 150 Mirage Tomcats built. Brad continued to build and improve Mirage Boats and the rest is history. I think David built a boat or two out of the original molds and eventually sold them to Noah. David went out of the Mod-VP business and Mike Cullen went broke back here in Texas. I retired at 55 to live on the lake. Boats and performance are a passion for those involved. Building original boats takes that to another level. It's a thankless job, try it sometime. Louis Collins...APBA Hall of Champions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up good to hear from you Louis

Louis,
    I don't think we've ever met, but we have some things in common. I've run 4 Mirage Jaguars ('86, '95, '97, and an '00) and one Quarter Master. So I am somewhat of a Collins/Mirage devotee.
    I bought what I heard was your MVP circle boat from a mutual
    friend, Jay Cox. It was blue and grey and had glassed on wood
    lift strakes on the sponsons. He told me that you had barrel rolled it at Havasu, and were leading the race at the time. From the cracked deck it had, someone had wrecked it!
    I bought the boat from Jay with no motor. He said you were running a Yamaha at the time?
    I drag and lake raced the boat with a Mercury. It was really too
    heavy for dragging, but I still ran mid 11s @ 105 with a box stock
    2.4 EFI bridgeport, which was not too bad back in the late '80s.
    I bought a used '95 Jag from a local dealer here (Jaco's) and
    completely rebuilt the boat. I took it to Brad's Kaufman, TX factory
    where he and his crew treated me like family. We put in a rear
    seat and deck/fairing while I was there, and few other mods.
    Since then, I've been through 2 more Jags, the last of which won
    last year's Hot Boat Mag Wild Paint Contest. I'm currently running
    a '96 Quarter Master in U/O and I really like the boat.
    Thanks for the true history of the company. I know a lot, but I
    didn't know about David Lee's involvement, or Cullen.
    I hope you are enjoying your retirment. Do you ever come to the
    drag races?
    Best Regards,
    Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 12-13-2002 at 05:13 PM.
    Head Merc-Jerk and proud of it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mirage history

Thanks for the reply Steve. I did a little drag racing in between circle races,even won the old Deep South Drag Clubs nationals once. I have not been to a boat race for 10-12 years but I will be sponsoring a Quartermaster at ODBA races next season.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    "I will be sponsoring a Quartermaster at ODBA races next season."

Louis, that's good news. What class & who's gonna be the hot foot?
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what class?

Probably Pro120 and Pro Carb....We will see how it runs shortly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Hey

I just figured out what driver you have, he told me he was racing but could not tell me whom for!!!!!!! now I know --let's say he has been in the winner's circle a few times before, and took last year off.
    Last edited by CUDA; 12-14-2002 at 07:50 AM.
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up History...

Louis, thanks for the Mirage background - very interesting, great stuff!! I'm sure I can speak for at least some of the guys out here who dont' (claim to) know all of the "inside" or "real" stories, its really nice to hear the real deal! I traded some E-mail recently with Brad regarding the "Red Boat" , & even in the short dialog we had, I knew I was talking with a real class guy, who obviusly loves this Bus. and misses the "front line". Its' unfortunate that the great legacy you guys built with Mirage has to get diluted by some recent history - reduced by some of the "crappola" I've read on this sight the past few days... Thankfully with FACTUAL information like this, those of us here with rational, in tact, thinking brains can figure out for our selves whats' up! THANKS - you guys built some GREAT BOATS!! Enjoy retirement Jason
    Last edited by Jason Huber; 12-14-2002 at 01:01 AM.
    Allison Grand Sport - SOLD. Thanks for the memories TeamGPI and S&F!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason-Mirage

Thanks for your reply. For what its worth we wouldn't have modern day(1978-2002) Mod-VP type boats without Bob Leach at Eliminator. His mid 70's Daytona tunnel jet boats were popular beyond belief. They had to have a center pod for the jet pump and Ron Ehde designed some great boats for Bob. By the late 70's- early 80's the gas crunch and economy took its toll on Eliminator sales. Bob then put alot of 19' and 21' Daytonas in outboarders hands at the right price to try and they were very successful marathon boats. Al Stoker and I beat our V Bottoms to death chasing each other in the Havasu and Parker races and finally saw the light with the "new" ModVP design by 1981/2. Bob Leach still played a part in our early success since he built great looking boats out of Al's molds and I had a successful 19' Daytona with Mercury power in an OMC era. All ModVP boat design efforts were improved from there. The most agressive new builder was Roark Summerford and his lasting legacy is history. We built the first Mirage because it was the next evolutionary step for some guys that loved boat racing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Louis,

The history is great.

I have a bunch of your history in Mod VP as Bobby Sanders is one of my good friends. He rode with me for 44 hours on our trip to pick up the ET boat. You can imagine the stories that were passed in that amount of time.

He has nothing but good things to say about you. Looking forward to meeting you at some point.

Dennis

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget

About the late Bruce (Neicher) ? sp? of sleekcraft. His boats ( jets) were some of the main competition for Bob Leachs boats -also center pod.--- Back in 84 he told me what to do with the main pod (design) much like Allison does-- a mild gull wing -- If you look at DOC Tripps red carb boat pad it's special, it's also high points champ.

11. Likes wildthang liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Ya- those Eliminators!...

Never forget the first time I saw one in action... Marv Jorgenson's "JAWS" boat tearin it up down on the Mississippi Wildest' thing I'd ever seen, 23' Daytona w/ BP's (3?) out back driven fearlessly! Was' supposed to be his "wife's boat" - or say he said.. LOL! You never here much about Howard Pipkorn - another Northern Legand - out here much either, but if we're talking about "trailblazers" and advanced design that shaped the evolution of hot-boating through the 70's, 80's ... Great to see Jim keeping the faith and that proud name alive So who knows, maybe a brighter future for the once proud Mirage legacy... I know I - for one, would certainly love to see it!! J
    Allison Grand Sport - SOLD. Thanks for the memories TeamGPI and S&F!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My scanner is down right now, but I think I have a picture of the early Elminator - with Todd Bowden's dad driving.

I was pretty young then -- but wasn't it Fred Bowden who was the first to bring a true tunnel (Eliminator) to the VP class?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1982havasucover.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the history lesson Gemini,You are great part of it yourself with the Mirage Boats.Thanks for giving Bob at Eliminiator credit also.I don't know if it still holds true but it was my understanding that the 19 daytona was the winningest boat ever.They have been out of the scene for a good while so it my not be true anymore.I know you are proud to see what you started has become.

Jason,I just got a 23 Eliminator and I'm looking forward to riding it with 2.4bp's. it had a single V-8 originaly and lake x rigged it with twin Mercs.its got the spot in the middle I hope to fill in one day.

Lord help us.
    racemore01@comcast.net

15. Thanks HavasuDreamin' thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Louis, I'm still curious who your driver is. There's one guy who I really hope got the ride, but I think he'd have told me if it was him, unless asked not too. I'll keep it between us if you'll let me know by E Mail.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well

Well Raceman, one more hint, He was High Points champ two years in a row.--- and he lives in T-------- and he called me this week to tell me he wants a new CUDA 21 in red and white.
    Last edited by CUDA; 12-14-2002 at 07:57 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast