Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jay Smith Racing Engines and my STV

So, I lost two cylinders in my 280. I sent it down to Jay Smith for a rebuild and some mods. With Jays reputation, I have high hopes for the motor. I was getting 116 out of it before, I'm hoping to be knocking on 120 this summer. I've turned to Jay for advice many times in the past year and he was always happy to help me out. That, along with his reputation and attention to detail made it a no-brainer to choose Jay to do the work. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Here is the link to the post with it running with a stock motor and two people. I'll post a new video this spring after I break in the new motor.http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ing&highlight=
    Last edited by keane; 02-09-2012 at 06:35 PM.

2. Likes Scream And Fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great vid !! It's amazing where those gills come from !!
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, too much time around the water, I'm beginning to look like a fish. No disrespect intended FISH
    Last edited by keane; 02-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea why ya lost two cylinders? The cause?
    Allison XB02, 22ft Tritoon 225 4 stroke, two seadoo sparks

Past rides 2001 STV EURO, Allison Grandsport, STV RiverRocket, STV Euro, STV ProComp, Hydrostream V-King
    RIP RPM RACING
    RIP GTS1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it appears I lost one cylinder and that took out another. After Ruck looked at the block, he had an opinion as to why I lost the first cylinder, but I don't want to pass on second hand information that I don't know to be a fact that might effect other people. And I'm not willing to speak for Jay or Ruck. My purpose with this thread is to show some positive unbiased results that might be obtained from an expert engine builder. I don't want to get into the blame game about bad parts, or bad work, or bad anything. But it was not misuse. Sorry if that sounds evasive, I just don't want this thread to become negative.
    Last edited by keane; 02-10-2012 at 12:00 PM.

7. Likes WillySteve liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    Well, it appears I lost one cylinder and that took out another. After Ruck looked at the block, he had an opinion as to why I lost the first cylinder, but I don't want to pass on second hand information that I don't know to be a fact that might effect other people. My purpose with this thread is to show some positive unbiased results that might be obtained from an expert engine builder. I don't want to get into the blame game about bad parts, or bad work, or bad anything. But it was not misuse. Sorry if that sounds evasive, I just don't want this thread to become negative.
    Well Stated and understood
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. I just bought my first 280 and was curious as maybe its something I can check or watch for.
    Good luck with the rebuild I'm sure it will be great.

Past rides 2001 STV EURO, Allison Grandsport, STV RiverRocket, STV Euro, STV ProComp, Hydrostream V-King
    RIP RPM RACING
    RIP GTS1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProComp View Post
    No problem. I just bought my first 280 and was curious as maybe its something I can check or watch for.
    Good luck with the rebuild I'm sure it will be great.
    I'm no expert, but I can share some of what I know.
    My advice would be the things you are probably already aware of....

Run quality oil of at least 40:1 (as the manual state) if it's a consumer ECM ; 32:1 if it's a ROS ECM and your gonna run over 7750 RPMs.(per the manual)
    Make sure you have top pinned pistons.
    If it's rebuilt or you're going to have it rebuilt, use a reputable builder who uses a well know machine shop.
    If you don't have a leak down tester, have it checked or re-ringed around 100-120 hours.
    Have your injectors tested and adjusted every season by a reputable company like Tony and Linda Brucato.(A bad injector can cause serious problems)
    I've had injectors tested and adjusted at the beginning of the season, and then tested again at the end of the season just to find one well out of specs.
    Don't run it too hot, your target is 150 degrees.
    Let it warm up some before you push it hard.
    And run at least 92 octane fresh fuel (if it's stock compression) and 93 is better especially if the fuel contains ethanol. If you only have 91 octane fuel available like I do in Maine, mix it with race gas or 100 octane low lead avgas(a cheaper alternative) to get the desired octane level. Some guys use ACES.

280's are hi-po finicky motors that run awsome on pleasure boats when built and used correctly, but any mistakes on the part of the builder, machinist, or operator are likely to result in expensive engine failures.

Judging by your previously owned boat list, you probably already know all that, but I thought I would throw it out there in case it helps anybody.
    Last edited by keane; 02-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.

11. Likes Zukiride, Glyn mathews, WillySteve liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post. Thanks
    We only have 91 here too.

RIP RPM RACING
    RIP GTS1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    Well, it appears I lost one cylinder and that took out another. After Ruck looked at the block, he had an opinion as to why I lost the first cylinder, but I don't want to pass on second hand information that I don't know to be a fact that might effect other people. And I'm not willing to speak for Jay or Ruck. My purpose with this thread is to show some positive unbiased results that might be obtained from an expert engine builder. I don't want to get into the blame game about bad parts, or bad work, or bad anything. But it was not misuse. Sorry if that sounds evasive, I just don't want this thread to become negative.
    Well said, You probably dont post in the Politics/hot topics fourm
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand this is an old post but can anyone gimme a ballpark idea on what it would cost to have a 260 rebuilt with wizards and top pinned? The engine is still together and still running good with compression around 130 + or -. The only reason I'd like to rebuild is so I don't have anything major happen seeing I have no idea how many hours are on the motor nor did the previous owner. Im hoping I can stay around 4 to 5,000 any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Email Jay Smith or them fellas in NY (I can't remember their name). Then you'll have the information right from the horses mouth.
    1998 22' Scarab 7.4 liter Merc (bought another one)(And gone again)
    1990 STV Pro Comp Merc Bridgeport/Merc 280/Optimax 300XS
    1988 Hydrostream HST Merc Bridgeport/ Merc 280 (recently gone)
    1992 25' Aggressor 454 Merc (gone)
    1196 22' Scarab 7.4 Merc (long gone)