Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chrysler was the first outboard manufacturer to build the low water pickup. Sam Baker's father was one of the first to run it. Sure Sam can chime in and give some info. I asked Rick Mackey when I was at Mercury Racing......(There were about 20+ other people there when I asked that can verify)

Jr.
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Current Ride - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chubb has been testing one but has not updated me on the results. It's on a Stroker.......
    www.bottomsupboatrepair.com

847-
    587-5553

Complete Service Center

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Jr. View Post
    Chrysler was the first outboard manufacturer to build the low water pickup.
    That nosecone was removable, though...
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool SHO=Silly Honda Obamination

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    That nosecone was removable, though...
    All V-6 E-tecs have water pickups in the nose cone today! They also have the standard pickups as well brought down as low as possible though.

Read the fine print on the SHO!! Do not run in mild to rough seas or the midsection could break in half! My good friend who sells Yammy warned me of that just as they were hitting the market. Guess weight and sales trumps intelligence.

After being in the marine service field for 20 years and knowing how all of them work. Bombardier will make E-Tec top dog for a long time to come. The E-tec system is just ten times better than any DFI system out there, not to mention Evinrude has the best warranty out of them all. Evinrude strives to get the customer back on the water ASAP without any hassles, Merc tries to get out of paying for anything they can. I guess that is why they change suppliers for everything about every two to three years, they just like to piss of their vendors and then make their customers flip the bill for the upgraded units instead of getting replacement parts for what the engine came with.

Only Brunswick could save a company that has not made a profit in the last 15 years, let alone fight off a legit class action suit regarding them denying OPTI-bomb claims. If the public would have known what they pulled with the 2.5 carb and EFI's oil pump bushing problem causing all the crank gears to get wiped out, that would have brought them down fast.

Nothing will ever beat a 2 stroke and nothing we know ever subs for cubic inches

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Rude Runner, I totally agree with your statements, unfortunately in the Bass Boat world which accounts for a Huge segment of 150-250 outboards the BRP folks are not listening, they seem to be bandaging the problems, first their was no lower unit issues, then they shoved a Mag 2 down our throats, and guys with L2s are losing huge speed, have Water Psi thru the roof, and bad handling because of the club foot.....Make the Lightning case reliable, I dont care if you have to copy the others, they all have issues, but BRP needs to step up this and remedy the situation.....Just my 2cents, I will still Bleed blue, however Im concerned.....sorry to Hijack on my rant....BW

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FOXLAKE-H.O. View Post
    'Rude Runner, I totally agree with your statements, unfortunately in the Bass Boat world which accounts for a Huge segment of 150-250 outboards the BRP folks are not listening, they seem to be bandaging the problems, first their was no lower unit issues, then they shoved a Mag 2 down our throats, and guys with L2s are losing huge speed, have Water Psi thru the roof, and bad handling because of the club foot.....Make the Lightning case reliable, I dont care if you have to copy the others, they all have issues, but BRP needs to step up this and remedy the situation.....Just my 2cents, I will still Bleed blue, however Im concerned.....sorry to Hijack on my rant....BW
    +1 , I hope they listen!
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VectorPat View Post
    This is what I was told also
    I think this is the patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/US2656812
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When would this Expire?
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems I remember a Different story on this, but as you all know if its on the Inter Web it has to be true......I heard a old OMC rumor that they had this back before merc, some Big Wig got pissed about the Pointy end, and poof gone.....never to be made by OMC again????? This is true because I posted it online!!!! ha ha ha, i wish some of the Old Merc and OMC engineers were here to help......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this US4832635 is the patent, it's done. 1988 + 20 = 2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Runner View Post
    All V-6 E-tecs have water pickups in the nose cone today! They also have the standard pickups as well brought down as low as possible though.

Read the fine print on the SHO!! Do not run in mild to rough seas or the midsection could break in half! My good friend who sells Yammy warned me of that just as they were hitting the market. Guess weight and sales trumps intelligence.
    Rude Runner, in what is this fine print on the SHO listed? I have looked at the warranty exclusions from Yamaha and have seen nothing mentioned. Could you post more info please?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there
    Quote Originally Posted by sam baker View Post
    it's been out a couple years now. I'm wondering if anybody has seen or ran a yamaha sho 4 stroke on a go-fast boat (stv, mirage, quartershot, etc). I don't dare say allison as darris would have a long distance heart attack if we even mention putting an sho on an allison (but if you have, let us know...i won't tell him lol). I saw some of them at the chicago boat show and even though they look huge, it's amazing that they have the weight where they have it and is some awesome innovation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a F150 Yamaha, With the F 150 being there best selling motor I wonder whats the fastest boat that anyone has ran a F 150 on and how fast they went with it. Joe R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stan merck View Post
    Rude Runner, in what is this fine print on the SHO listed? I have looked at the warranty exclusions from Yamaha and have seen nothing mentioned. Could you post more info please?
    Like Stan said....please elaborate on this subject....even though as light as Yamaha claims them to be they had to take the weight out of somewhere besides the sleeves which I heard dropped 30 lbs by themselves.....but to say that you cant run em in rough water is hard to believe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read the title of this thread, and skimmed it very quickly. Based solely on the question that the title asks, I'll toss in this quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRSjRmBqwEE

This is probably an older model than the one you guys are talking about, but I think it's got to be related, and it's super cool. Too bad the STV is sooo much quicker than the 'ol viper. I also wonder how the little viper handles all that weight. it's probably a "single pilot" hot rod by the time you put a motor like that on it.

I lay even odds that someone here knows the guys in the video.

-peter
    "padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast