Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Chris Carson Marine = Great products and customer service!

Let me start by saying that not all my experiences with supporting vendors/advertisers on various boating boards for been satisfactory. If you read my posts, you probably know that I have no problem "calling em like I see em".
    Having said that, I also have no problem giving credit where credit is due.

About 2 years ago I purchased reeds from CCM and Chris was very helpful in giving me advice on prepping the reed blocks and tuning. I am a 4 stroke drag bike guy and can build a 200hp KZ motor with my eyes closed but this 2 stroke thing was a little new to me

The boat has performed very very well and I have logged at least 1000 miles on the reeds. I recently learned about an intake stuffer that would work with my engine and called Chris to see if he had any. He did not but gave me some great advice and also recommended a different reed to try in my motor. He also suggested I scrap the Yamaha choke plate system and install an OMC fuel primer solenoid and told me how and where to plumb it in.

When I pulled the intake off I found the two year old reeds with MANY miles on them to be in perfect condition. I have ran these reeds on the Suwanee river alone for over 500 miles and have at least twice that....probably a lot more....total running since they were installed.

The boat which has always been difficult to start now starts easily. Tomorrow she goes in the water and I'll report on who it performs.

Chris, thanks for your help/advice and keep up the great work. Customer service seems to be a lost asset these days and its refreshing to deal with a business who supports their customers.

I know its no big bad drag motor but these reeds have a lot of run time and look like new! Last Suwanee trip I ran 70 miles straight at about 6000rpm only slowing to turn around and head back up river and a couple times to avoid water foul. There are some wear marks on the reed stops but nothing at all on the reeds themselves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0563 (Large).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	248113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0564 (Large).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	248115
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ooops. Missed the other side of the reed. These pics are all the same reed showing both sides.

Name:	100_0562 (Large).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	248116

These are the new ones installed:

Name:	100_0560 (Large).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	248139
    Last edited by Mr. Demeanor; 12-14-2011 at 09:14 PM.

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris dem is som of those racing reeds, actually they look like the D's to me. LOL Chris is a great guy to deal with and he puts his time in R&D for sure.

2008 Quartershot T-3 260 "LE" installed and ready to release the mfn "DRAGON"

280 River Ridin Spare
    280 River Ridin mota
    260 Steel Bore River mota
    260 Diamond Drag on the bench and ready (sold)
    260 "LE" on the boat and ready
    260 "K-9" (sold)
    225 Promax River Mota on the bench
    260 "GB" in the garden growing mums

1994 STV Euro
    1990 21' Cougar MTR "Sold"
    1996 21' Armstrong "Sold"
    1989 Hydrostream HST "Sold"
    1980 Hydrostream Vulture "Sold"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Racin reeds.....WHAT?

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
    Racin reeds.....WHAT?

You Know That's Right WHAT !!!!!

2008 Quartershot T-3 260 "LE" installed and ready to release the mfn "DRAGON"

280 River Ridin Spare
    280 River Ridin mota
    260 Steel Bore River mota
    260 Diamond Drag on the bench and ready (sold)
    260 "LE" on the boat and ready
    260 "K-9" (sold)
    225 Promax River Mota on the bench
    260 "GB" in the garden growing mums

1994 STV Euro
    1990 21' Cougar MTR "Sold"
    1996 21' Armstrong "Sold"
    1989 Hydrostream HST "Sold"
    1980 Hydrostream Vulture "Sold"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Chris, is a good guy to deal with and has a very nice product!! Mr D, those reeds look new

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tux974 View Post
    Chris, is a good guy to deal with and has a very nice product!! Mr D, those reeds look new
    The rubber cages did need a quick decking again but just a light touch up.

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just talked to Chris today, what a great guy with excellent information. Great to have him on here.
    The Reverend, (Cedar Machine Service on Facebook)
    1989 HST 2.5 260 Merc Offshore
    1991 Vaserette YT 200 Mercury
    1988 Venus XT 200 Yamaha
    1983 Viper II Merc 90
    1977 Viper
    Mini GT tunnel, 25 Merc
    "African Queen" pontoon 25 Merc
    Aluma fishin tub, 20 motors to choose from!

GUESS WHAT?...I gotta fever,...and the only prescription...IS MORE COWBELL!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A brief explanation of stuffers and how they work....

Thanks Mr. D for the good report,and I'm pleased my reeds are in a small way helping you get the most from your Yamaha v 4.
    As to stuffers,I'll attempt an explanation.
    First,an understanding of 2stroke function is required,and the concept of crankcase compression.
    A 2 stroke motor,no matter how many cylinders,is engineered as a compound engine,that is,a motor made up of one or (usually) more cylinders,each having it's own intake tract and separate crankcase areas,sealed off from the adjacent cylinders crankcase.The result is several one cylinder motors cast in one block,but each having its own vacuum and pressure pulses.
    These one cylinder motors are made up of a crankcase,holding the spinning crankshaft that attaches to a connecting rod and piston that rides in a cylinder on one side of the crankcase,on the other side of the crankcase we find the reed valves and fuel delivery system(carburetor).As the crankshaft turns the piston travels back and forth in the cylinder,attached to the crankcase,and due to the system of seals,piston rings(seals), there is no access to the crankcase but through the carb and reeds.Therefore when the piston moves away from the crankcase into the cylinder the area in the sealed crankcase increases,creating a partial vacuum.This vacuum is applied to the reeds,the one-way door into the crankcase,and depending on the amount of carb butterfly opening,ambient air pressure outside the motor pushes through the carb and reeds to satisfy the partial vacuum.As you can see,the intake of fuel and air relies on the pressure difference between the inside and outside the crankcase.
    Now...the difference between the area in the crankcase with the piston at bottom dead center(all the way toward the crankcase) called the static area,and the area in the crankcase with the piston at top dead center(away from the crankcase) is called the swept(or displaced)area.This swept area causes the vacuum in the crankcase,in turn causing external air pressure to try to gain access to the crankcase via the intake system(carb and reeds).
    The higher the ratio of swept area to static area,the higher the vacuum created,This is the point to ponder.If we can reduce the static(non moving)area in the crankcase we will improve the ratio,swept to static,thereby increasing crankcase vacuum and increasing the amount of fuel/air mix gaining access to the crankcase,as well as improving the velocity of the air moving through the carburetor,increasing its effeciency.
    That's not all...by improving the swept/static ratio we also enjoy a higher resultant crankcase pressure,when the piston moves back to the bottom of its travel,where the scavenging ports in the cylinders are exposed to the crankcase pressure,which quickly fills the cylinder with fresh fuel/air,and displaces the old burnt exhaust,pushing it through the exhaust port into the exhaust manifold.Most folks see crankcase pressure as the beneficial factor,however it's the increased vacuum that actually causes it!
    What are stuffers?...anything that can be added to the interior of the crankcase to take up space- volume-whatever you prefer to call it.Anything added to improve the swept/unswept ratio.In this particular case a small wedge of rubber was placed alongside and above the reed cage,decreasing static area.Other forms of "stuffing"include filling voids in the casting,rounding square corners,etc.,anything to take up area in the crankcase without hampering flow of air,or movement of parts.It dosent' take a lot to make a noticeable gain,especially at low end and mid-range.
    This same effect can be achieved on some motors without adding a stuffing agent by simply milling various areas of the intake or block to reduce the crankcase area,in a performance motor both approaches are usually used.
    I should also note that no matter what is done to enhance the crankcase vacuum/pressure it still relies on outside air pressure to push through the reeds,consequently a custom reed valve matched to your motor and use will really help...we specialize in custom reed valves,and powerhead re-manufacturing,offering the best in quality,price,warrantee,and customer service.
    Thanks for reading,call if we can help,Chris Carson,CCMS,800-329-2725

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never a bad word about CCM

Not on here anyways, also Chris always offers help where it's needed too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris made me some kickass reeds!
    Johnny Saris
    Driver-441 32 Cobra
    Saris Racing Engines