Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

finish for aluminum exhaust tips

I have aluminum exhaust tips. They were in rough shape so I cleaned them up with a scotchbrite pad.

Now they look great but they are raw aluminum.

anyone have suggestions on how to finish them so that they'll stay looking nice?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broomeju,
    I don't think any exhaust tips, regardless of material or finnish, will STAY looking nice without attending to them. I mean, they're constantly wet, and constantly baking the waterspots onto them.
    Even stainless tips waterspot, however, they're much easier to clean than aluminum.
    I have chrome plated aluminum tips in the past, and it looks nice, still, you've got to clean them after each outing. Your bare aluminum tips will forever be a chore. MINIMUM, you should hand polish them with OOO steel wool and Flitz, or Semi-Chrome polish, or take them to a polisher.
    Once you have them shiny and smooth, ( polished aluminum, chromed, stainless , or chromed brass) , you will want to remove all waterspots after each outing. I've found a product called "Ducky", at my local marine shop, that Absolutely works! This stuff isn't abrasive, it's a spray bottle liquid that you just wipe the offending area with. You can "google' the name on your computer and read all about the stuff. I use it on my chrome exhaust headers, my wife uses it on our bathroom shower doors, you can use it on painted surfaces too , it really works incredible.
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 01-11-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by broomeju View Post
    I have aluminum exhaust tips. They were in rough shape so I cleaned them up with a scotchbrite pad.

Now they look great but they are raw aluminum.

anyone have suggestions on how to finish them so that they'll stay looking nice?
    are they the trumpet type with a flapper ? if so Glenwood still makes them, kind of pricey though . i was reading the AIRSTREAM camper forum they were talking about a product i think its called "Sharkskin" to seal and protect the finish on their campers . i dont know if it would hold up to the heat of exhaust tips though . like Spike Morelli said it might just be a constant upkeep chore .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broomeju,
    I am assuming that your exhaust tips are this type, arent they?
    By the way, these are used tips off of a '63 and a '65 flatbottom, aluminum, re-polished up on a buffing wheel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thru-hull Exhaust Trumpets.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	249664
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 01-12-2012 at 11:57 PM.